Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexCollette

Reaction score
0O5oNyOsvbNNEY4ifTon9gYFg
Hello everyone I’m Alex, an 18yo French Canadian trying to make Kombucha at home. Without having any contact with a mother scoby, I tried to make it myself from a bottle of store bought Kombucha... After one week in the first fermentation, my scoby is really thin (about 1mm or an 1/16 of an inch) and has bubbles under it... at this point I’m not sure what to do about it or if it’s possible to even save it... Thank you for your response! (P.S. sorry for my english, it’s not my first language)

Attachments

• 86AB6D5B-6501-4E69-8BD2-4A1167B54794.jpeg
    86AB6D5B-6501-4E69-8BD2-4A1167B54794.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 1DF3DEAC-C3D2-4E9B-A068-35FDB584C67A.jpeg
    1DF3DEAC-C3D2-4E9B-A068-35FDB584C67A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
This is fine- give it another few days and start tasting it. The layer of cellulose on the top is not a good indicator of fermentation by itself, so don't get worried if it looks odd (unless it grows mold, then you should ditch the whole batch). The bubbles are a good sign that fermentation is happening.

This is fine- give it another few days and start tasting it. The layer of cellulose on the top is not a good indicator of fermentation by itself, so don't get worried if it looks odd (unless it grows mold, then you should ditch the whole batch). The bubbles are a good sign that fermentation is happening.
All right thank you for your response

Latest posts

Back