Need Live Scoby for starting my new and very first batch of Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has a spare scoby that I can use to start brewing Kombucha tea.. I am a first-timer. Looking forward to getting guidance and help with Kombucha brewing.

You can start a SCOBY from a bottle of raw kombucha bought from the store, but you need to start off small. Grow it in a 32 oz mason jar. 1/2 strong sweet tea/hLf raw booch. Then, after two weeks, when very acidic, transfer to a gallon jar, 3/4 sweet tea and the 32 oz starter. That's how you grow a starter.

Thank you for the advice. But, I have searched both online and in my nearby stores for raw unflavored Kombucha. They don't have any. Hence, I thought of seeking help because I have read that flavored kombucha cannot be used for growing a scoby. Please advise.

Any advice on which is a good source on the internet? I see some options but with bad reviews. I am unable to decide which one would be authentic. Any pointers would help.

I got mine in 2017 from getkombucha.com. By the by, you don't need a scoby just some raw acidic booch. Go on line for brew clubs in your area and go to a meeting,most likely at least one member will be a booch brewer.

Back