Trimming back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpatel479

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it ever too late to cut back the number of bines? I have some 2nd year plants growing and I have been putting off cutting the weaker vines. The longest vines are now close to 3 feet. I want to cut off the smaller/thinner ones and just want to verify that there is no such thing as waiting too long to do this.

Thanks in advance.

For the size you are talking, I would say not to late. I am new to this as you are, so if someones says otherwise, I would listen to them. What I think would hurt them more would be trimming their roots at this time. If you cut those bines, more energy can be put to the bines that you want to grow.

I generally cut back my first growth around the first of May. Cut them back and then keep the best 4 bines or so. First growth never produces much. I cut them back, add enough compost manure mix to cover, and watch them grow.

I cut mine back when some were about 2-3 feet, this was a couple weeks ago and the new groth is already past that. I have a bunch of smaller ones still coming up that I need to cut back. I would cut them back if you didnt' cut any of them yet. No expert here and i'm sure someone will chime in that knows what they are doing.

I think I'm going to let mine go wild this year minus stripping the leaves and the smallest vines from the base from here on out. I had two first year cascades and ended up with a pile of hops with no trimming. More than I would have imagined in the first year. I have no idea how many vines I have going up from each plant. Maybe 50? and they're still popping. The tallest are a good 12 feet already. Can't wait to do some wet hopped brews.

I planted a bunch of centennials this year as well as a few other varieties. Looking forward to watching them grow.

Back