Tired of crappy yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sick of buying yeast online and getting dry packs that are 20 months old. Best by 10/2020 on two packs of lallemand ESB from More Beer. Delivered May 10th. Granted I had some unexpected repairs on my brew rig but still.

Read somewhere they print best by date two years from packaging date, if anyone can verify.
Tweaking recipe now in software and it appears I have half the yeast I'm going to need.
Where is everyone buying their dry yeast from these days? Don't suppose that new Kviek (?) yeast is available in dried form yet either?
TD

Dry yeast stored properly is still viable years after the expiration date. I’ve bought clearance yeast for 50 cents a pack because it was expired, that was fine. Even if you don’t use it before October it should do what yeast does, make beer.

More beer carries dry Voss.

Hey OP thanks for the reminder. Just ordered voss, kolch, and some others from ritebrew, shipping was less than $4 for 9 packs of yeast.

Edit: I just realized 10 packs would of been 10% off or basically a free pack of yeast. Oh well.

Last edited:
I get Fermentis dry yeasts from Morebeer. I have never had any problems with them getting started. This is even true of some I let go a bit past best by date due to my over stocking. I think the most recent US-05 I got has a 2022 use by date.

AFAIK both Fermentis and Danstar set best use dates 2 years from the date of manufacture and both say their dry yeast is still perfectly usable long after the best use date if unopened

It's a best use date not an expiration date.

I've used 6 year old US05 that was kept in a freezer and it didn't ferment any differently than that yeast if used prior to its best use date.

My last two batches were fermented with Nottingham which had “expired” in October, 2018. Both took off within 8 hours and fermented very vigorously. Unopened dry yeast, which has been kept refrigerated, is viable yeast regardless of the date on the package.

Another shout out for Ritebrew. They have always shipped fast to me.

I also buy my liquid yeast in the spring (with an ice pack) and then keep it refrigerated for all the summer months. I always then make a yeast starter the day before brew day with a stir plate and never worry about yeast anymore. I doesn't seem to matter if it sits in the refrigerator for 6 months as long as I make a yeast starter. Maybe this won't work in Florida but I doubt it. I can't see myself ever going back to dry yeast.

Last edited:
+1 for storing dry yeast in the refrigerator. I also use a resealable vacuum seal bag, but that is probably overkill. Let it warm up to room temp before pitching. Never had one fail to start, even if it was expired by several months.

Keep an eye on LabelPeelers. They often have great sales on yeast and free shipping. Their expiration dates on dry yeast are typically a year out. Great customer service too. Label Peelers Wine Making and Homebrewing Equipment and Supplies

RiteBrew is also great for taps, shanks, and tubing. Although they don't have free shipping, they're usually less expensive than MoreBeer even with their 15% site wide sales (which I have not seen in a while but I have a full cart waiting).

~HopSing.

I recently brewed a mild with Munton's regular dated 11/2016. I used more than I would have if the date was closer, but I had signs of fermentation two hours after pitching the yeast: 1.037 to 1.012 in two days

+1 for storing dry yeast in the refrigerator. I also use a resealable vacuum seal bag, but that is probably overkill. Let it warm up to room temp before pitching. Never had one fail to start, even if it was expired by several months.

Keep an eye on LabelPeelers. They often have great sales on yeast and free shipping. Their expiration dates on dry yeast are typically a year out. Great customer service too. Label Peelers Wine Making and Homebrewing Equipment and Supplies

RiteBrew is also great for taps, shanks, and tubing. Although they don't have free shipping, they're usually less expensive than MoreBeer even with their 15% site wide sales (which I have not seen in a while but I have a full cart waiting).

~HopSing.
Checking out their (Label Peelers) prices and highly impressed!!! Thanks for the info!!

Back