Time to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I've got all of my kegging components and hope to have a brew that's been sitting in a secondary for 6 weeks carb'd by Saturday. What pressures should I set the system at to best get this done. FWIW, I can stick the keg in a freezer with a temperature controller to more quickly facilitate the carbonation process.

Depends on the beer, but mainly two options (quick or slow)

1. 30 PSI for ~three days (about serving temp- agitating keg by disconnecting pressure, rolling/shaking around and reconnecting. Don't worry about keg leaking when your reg starts chirping, it just means beer is absorbing CO2).

2. 12 PSI (10-12 depending on beer) for a week or so. As above, agitate about once daily to help the absorption process.

Hope this helps!

Hmm, well first of all, get the keg cold.
You can go the force carb method to speed things up, of you can just let the keg sit at 10psi until Saturday. If you just let it sit at 10psi, it will end up slightly undercarbed, but still decent. I would search the forum for force carbing methods. If you do it right, it should be ready in a few days.

Good luck!

I'll eventually be kegging my first batch as well and will refer back here once I am ready. I figured I'd hijack this thread to ask my question. :p

My fridge doesn't have holes drilled in it to keep the CO2 bottle outside. Is it okay to keep my 20lb bottle in the fridge, at least during carbonation? Or will that hinder the process?

Thanks

I'll eventually be kegging my first batch as well and will refer back here once I am ready. I figured I'd hijack this thread to ask my question. :p

My fridge doesn't have holes drilled in it to keep the CO2 bottle outside. Is it okay to keep my 20lb bottle in the fridge, at least during carbonation? Or will that hinder the process?

Thanks

Sure, that's fine. I keep mine in the fridge all the time.

Another way to carb- I often set it at 30 psi for the first 2-3 days. No shaking or rolling. Then after 3 days, I purge and reset it at 12 psi. It's carbed nicely by day 4.

Back