Thoughts On this Stout recipe to be aged on whiskey barrel chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Not incredibly refined. Curious your thoughts on this stout recipe. Mash temps and yeast etc? Lactose or no?

Its going to be racked to a secondary with wood chips for a month or so.

10 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
4oz roasted barley
4oz Dark chocolate malt
4oz Caramel/Crystal 90L
1 lb. Caramel/Crystal 40L
4 oz. flaked barley
3 oz. Carafa III Special

8 oz. Lactose 10mins

.5 oz. Magnum 40mins
.5 oz. Cascade 20 mins

US - 05

Thank you!

Not incredibly refined. Curious your thoughts on this stout recipe. Mash temps and yeast etc? Lactose or no?

Its going to be racked to a secondary with wood chips for a month or so.

10 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
4oz roasted barley
4oz Dark chocolate malt
4oz Caramel/Crystal 90L
1 lb. Caramel/Crystal 40L
4 oz. flaked barley
3 oz. Carafa III Special

8 oz. Lactose 10mins

.5 oz. Magnum 40mins
.5 oz. Cascade 20 mins

US - 05

Thank you!

I'm sure others will weigh in on your grain bill as I feel it may be overly complicated and may end up a tad cloying. I'll defer to others to offer better advice than I can.

I would, however, like to suggest a way that I have been successful oaking stouts. It is certainly feasible to rack direct on chips, but this method can get ahead of you quickly depending on factors related to the chips. I typically make "tinctures" by soaking chips in spirits where the alcohol extracts the tannins and vanillins. Strain the chips and use the liquid slowly....tasting as you add to control how much flavor suits you.

Oaking can easily overpower an otherwise nice beer so a little goes a long way. Vodka makes for a neutral tincture and I prefer bourbon in some of my dark beers. But the key is to add slowly and take your time if you decide to try a tincture.

Back