Things that remind you that you're getting old...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I say "Hey, lets watch that new tape tonight," and my wife gets the new movie we bought on blu-ray and the kids say "Tape? What the hell is a 'tape'" God bless the missus!

When I can clearly remember watching the Kennedy assassination on
black and white tv 50 years ago.

Cheers

When I remember having to constantly adjust the "Vertical Hold" on our B&W TV... with a rolled newspaper to the side of the TV. Or better, when we had to use pliers to change the channel (some of you know what I mean).

When I remember having to constantly adjust the "Vertical Hold" on our B&W TV... with a rolled newspaper to he side of the TV. Or better, when we had to use pliers to change the channel (some of you know what I mean).

sadly, yes, some of us do.

Top loading vcrs
New coke
no call waiting
Micheal jackson was black
Atari was awesome
Drive ins
madonna was a virgin
Stubby beer bottles
Leaded gas
Walkmans

Niece tells her dad she can't find her coat. Dad says to go search for the darn thing. Niece says, dad how in the world is googling for my coat going to help me find it.

(slaps forehead)

When I remember having to constantly adjust the "Vertical Hold" on our B&W TV... with a rolled newspaper to he side of the TV. Or better, when we had to use pliers to change the channel (some of you know what I mean).

I was just thinking of the pliers earlier today.

UHF - and I don't mean the Wierd Al movie.

No remote control's. Had to use a long stick or broom handle to change the channels on the tv. Or get up to change the 5 different channels.

I work with teenagers and I never feel old until we start talking about 9/11. I remember it like it was yesterday and they were three and don't know anything about it

My first Harley ran on leaded gas. Through high school we had beepers and use pay phones. You made Mixed tapes. Every thing a computer knew was actually on disks that were floppy. I know how to read a road map.

My friends son called him in a panic when the remote wouldn't unlock the car door. My friend had to tell him to put the key in the door...that was the first time I felt old.

I think about vinyl, 8 tracks, rotary phones, jiffy pop popcorn with the expanding aluminum foil, manually rolling up car windows, paper maps in the car that we actually used daily, fighting over who had to get up to change the TV channel (from the 5 channels we had, thanks to the antennae in the attic), phones with cords, etc.

Pretty cool how far we have come, but does make me feel old.

if you had 5 channels your either not that old or are from a really big city. We had cable way before fox came out, before cable it was ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. There was no 5th channel.

I remember having to be almost forced to FM. AM radio.was fine no need for FM

Leaded gas? Everything else fits my time frame but I don't think I've ever actually seen leaded gas. Maybe a regional thing?

We had it in MS. Rember clearly when they had different pumps. Though I wasn't that old at the time, in JR College (before they were all community colleges) I had a 74 duster. Went on a date with a girl a year younger than me that came from a fairly well off family. Was driving and met another car, dimmed the lights using the dimmer on the floorboards. She thought the car had automatic headlights since my hands didn't move from the steering wheel. That car also had a foot pump for the windshield washer fluid

JeepDiver said:
if you had 5 channels your either not that old or are from a really big city. We had cable way before fox came out, before cable it was ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. There was no 5th channel.

I remember having to be almost forced to FM. AM radio.was fine no need for FM

I am only 45, so I don't think of myself as old until these types of experiences occur.

Oh, and we had channels 2,4,5,11 and 30 in Saint Louis (not a really big city). 11 was a local channel.

This has been an enjoyable thread!

When you hear that Warren Sap just got voted into the Hall of Fame. Didnt he just come out of college?

Two VCR's being hooked together to duplicate a movie and the cable box with the switches on it to change the channels. My father knew how to open that one up and mess with it to get extra channels.

Airborneguy said:
Leaded gas? Everything else fits my time frame but I don't think I've ever actually seen leaded gas. Maybe a regional thing?

I used to put leaded gas (was called "regular") in my first car, a 1969 Buick Special.

I used to put leaded gas (was called "regular") in my first car, a 1969 Buick Special.

Cars built till the early 70s required leaded gas. It acted as a lubricant and had something to do with the material used in the valves. All gas had it, so I don't think it was advertised any differently until un-leaded showed up. When you bought a car in the 70s, the manufacturer would tell you which gas to use.

Leaded gas (Regular) was slowly phased out through the 70s, 80s,90s. I don't think you can buy it now. If you have an older car you can by a lead substitute additive. You add it to your gas.

Computers being tape feed reel to reel, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS. only tv stations, physical education as a required course throughout school(less fat in school) NOT hearing politically correct. USA being the manufacturing AND technology leader, welfare,long term unemployment,food stamps were an embarrassment not the norm, understanding that glaciers once covered half of the U.S. Xerox "copies", pants at the waist line. Kids complaining the "spell-check" couldn't find a word match. Van Halen on easy listening. The fact I have more grey hair then my father in law, so many more that I'm getting depressed .:eek:

Cars built till the early 70s required leaded gas. It acted as a lubricant and had something to do with the material used in the valves. All gas had it, so I don't think it was advertised any differently until un-leaded showed up. When you bought a car in the 70s, the manufacturer would tell you which gas to use.

Leaded gas (Regular) was slowly phased out through the 70s, 80s,90s. I don't think you can buy it now. If you have an older car you can by a lead substitute additive. You add it to your gas.

What you're referring to is tetraethyl lead in the fuel,now an additive. The valve seats are now heat treated for the unleaded gas. I used to work that station of the line as an inspector. But the lead was a lube build up sort of thing for valve stems & such back then.
Not to mention that FM was new & radios that could recieve the signal were expensive. But quarts of beer were like $1.50,cigs 35c & gas 25c...

You can still buy it, but it is called AvGas. It is used in most of the small older airplanes that are still flying. I used it when I was flying for a hobby a few years ago (which is why this hobby seems so much more affordable). Burning 8 gallons per hour sucks up money quickly.

Your vision is so bad you can't see your wrinkles without glasses. You are revisiting old hobbies and old boyfriends. Your grandbabies think you are more fun than a video game. You can now wear the close you wore in the seventies and be considered fashion forward. Your senior moments are more of a blessing than a curse. You scare your kids by threatening to publish your memoirs. The idea of becoming a cougar or a cradle robber is just too much work.

When I hear that Jeff Saturday is retiring and there are comments that he's "too old." He's exactly my age.

I remember the first time I heard bands like Soundgarden and Nirvana on classic rock radio stations. It was then that I realized I had become "old".

I heard Motley Crue on the oldies station. The oldies station! Granted, they play 60s through 80s, but still...

When I was a freshman in college, I worked part-time at a gas station. On Sundays, the boss would close the service bays, and all we did was pump gas. The boss would lower the price to undercut the station nearby by a cent or two. And we were pumping it at...[are you ready???]...

TWENTY-SEVEN CENTS A GALLON!

And I do believe dinosaurs roamed the earth in those days, as well!

glenn514:mug:[who's sixty-six and still going strong!]

A few years ago my young kid asked "When did the world change to color?". She thought black and white TV shows existed when the world was monochrome.

I was the remote...
AM radio was the only choice...
Threes company and Soap were shocking...

6 gals of gas and oil for the boat was $2.00 Now just the gas is over $ 20.00

I feel your pain. I just sold my boat after 2+ years of trying. When I bought it gas was about $1 a gallon. That sucker had a 100 gallon gas tank and a 350 Chevy I/O. Even with the engine just idling in my slip it made a giant sucking sound. That was the money being sucked out of my wallet.

I'll stick with canoes going forward.

Back