I am so old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so old that I remember when being all thumbs meant you were clumsy, not being good at texting.

I remember when it was perfectly okay for us kids to ride loose in the back of a pickup truck. Seat belts were optional and car seats for kids did not exist. I used to climb from back seat to front or vice versa while dad drove the shark-finned 1959Plymouth station wagon on winding mountain roads, a can of Oly in one hand & a bag of peanuts in the other. I remember the view of distant snow-capped mountains from my grandma's living room window reminding me of the "land of sky-blue waters" theme song from the Hamm's commercial until somebody built a big ol' honkin' church in the way!

Do you have kids?

It's crazy having to explain to my 8 year old what a cassette tape, VHS tape, and record was. He once saw a rotary dial phone and did not know what it did.

And on another note, realized the other day while getting a Mighty Kids Nugget meal for the 5 year old, I am so old I remember who Ronald McDonald, and the Hamburgler were.

I do have a daughter. She's only 5.5 months but I'm looking forward to saying, "back in my day...." haha. I'm sure I'll get many eye rolls but it's all good.

Hey, we just new how to take a fall back then! We didn't need no stinking seat belts!

My first day on an offshore rig I asked the toolpusher where I could get a hard hat. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "a welder don't need no hard hat"!

The safety gear now is unending.

I remember when it was perfectly okay for us kids to ride loose in the back of a pickup truck.

Not only did we ride in the bed, get this ... we weren't wearing sun screen! And there was a more than even chance the dad driving the truck was drinking a highball.

And we drank water ... right out of the tap!

I'm so old I can remember when you got a paddling at school if you misbehaved.

And some teachers had duct tape if you mouthed off.

I'm so old I can remember when you got a paddling at school if you misbehaved.

And some teachers had duct tape if you mouthed off.

I got an occasional slap across the face for no reason other than intimidation for all. I wasn't the only one. In those days you just filed it for future reference because telling one's parents a story like that would be totally unbelievable and line you up for more 'correction' at home. Floccin' ol' bags. Unfortunately for them, they had no idea who they were dealing with and the diabolical schemes they would face. Pay backs are a mf and debts shall be paid in full.

I'm so old that when I lived in northern MI as a kid, our telephone (even THAT WORD sounds old!) was a wooden box on the wall with a receiver on a hook on one side and a hand crank on the other, and the mouthpiece in the middle. You'd pick up the receiver, check to see if anyone was on the (party)line, and if not, hang back up and crank the crank a couple times which would ring the operator. Pick back up and tell the operator what number (or person) you wanted. If you remember the old Lassie program called "Jeff's Collie", that was the phone! I had to stand on a kitchen stool to reach the mouthpiece.

One of my uncles had that one in use when I was just a little feller. Kind of odd to me with the party line. And to think, kids today pay for that to yak like chat rooms used to be. I remember the neighboring busy-bodies listening in. You could tell by the click. Not to mention, the Morse code-like ring you had to listen to for your own...

One of my uncles had that one in use when I was just a little feller. Kind of odd to me with the party line. And to think, kids today pay for that to yak like chat rooms used to be. I remember the neighboring busy-bodies listening in. You could tell by the click. Not to mention, the Morse code-like ring you had to listen to for your own...

I'm so old I remember when everyone tried to keep their private business private!

I'm so old, we had a three-holer on the farm until I was 4. My first one room school had a five-holer. Indoor plumbing was in the new school when I started the fifth grade, and a kitchen too.

I'm so old fat girls were rare. Check this out.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UcGNoT_ug&list=RD-0UcGNoT_ug#t=208[/ame]

Exes and Ohs.

I'm so old that when I was a kid I drilled a hole in a clock radio housing (the ones where the numbers were not LED, but plastic tabs that flipped every minute/hour) and tapped into the speaker wiring to add a 1/4" jack for my 1/4" plug big arse headphones. :) It was the coolest thing ever! :mug:

I'm so old, slide rules were banned during finals.
I'm so old, I was bottling my first brew listening to the Miracle on Ice, Live on the AM radio.
I'm so old, I bought my first house for $33k
Holy mother of God, I am old!

I'm so old that when I was a kid I drilled a hole in a clock radio housing (the ones where the numbers were not LED, but plastic tabs that flipped every minute/hour) and tapped into the speaker wiring to add a 1/4" jack for my 1/4" plug big arse headphones. :) It was the coolest thing ever! :mug:
I totally did the same thing, except for wiring in external speakers!

il_214x170.745616856_9y96.jpg

I'm so old, I'm a stranger here, in this new-world Earth.
Let me sit my old bones down, & discover the worth.
Of your little blew planet, 3rd from the sun,
C'mon & show me what you've done.
Your dirty atmosphere is hurting my eyes,
And all these new concrete mountains are blacking out the skies!
I'm convinced y'all are tellin' me lies,
Why do the birds fall from the skies?
I'm so old I remember the mountains & trees,
And valleys, birds & more fish in the seas.
I see robot aeroplanes carryin' the bombs,
Why you guys have even found more plain old folks to drop them on!
You greedy fools, you had it made.
But take it from a fogey who knows,
The gates of Heaven can close!
I only pray that you take this old one's advice,
Because paradise won't come twice!

I was really young in 1960 when I would add priming sugar to the bottles and siphon them full of my mom's blue ribbon malt home brew.Started me on the path to destruction which I'm on to this day. And yes it was illegal then.:eek:

Not quite as old as some here...

I am so old, my first recording device was a reel to reel tape machine.
I am so old, i got the very first sony walkman out of my own wages.
I am so old, i remember you had to handbuild your own computers if you didn't want to pay IBM a massive premium.

Well, actually, :D it was Phoenician scratchin's with a stylus. Another unfortunate by-product of old age & lost hormones...or is that whoremones?...is that I don't look good naked anymore. I'm a deep-fried, double-wide version, of the man I was before! If ah keep awn like ahm doin', I won't fit through the door, & I don't look good naked anymore!...:(

Back