I am so old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so old...

I saw Peter, Paul & Mary in person...
I saw Donovan in person...
I saw Chicago in person...
I saw Janis Joplin in person...
I saw about every band there was in person...

Oh, wait a minute, I was at Woodstock!

I'm so old...

If you were at Woodstock, you don't remember Woodstock.

I'm so old,

my favorite childhood shows were:

Hogans Hero's
Gilligans Island
The Honeymooners
Gomer Pyle USMC
Andy Griffith

And watching Billy-Klubb waddle around in his diapers.

I'm so old MaddBagger's talking about adult diapers. now he just laughs at this old fogy crap where he walks. you mean whipper snapper!!!

Old enough to have had blue fingertips and getting high off the mimeograph machine.
Old enough to have watched the first episode of Sesame Street.
Old enough to to know why "Oh-two-one-three-four" always ended with "Send it to Zoom!"
Old enough to have had jerry cans strapped to the back of the station wagon when on family vacation because you didn't know if there would be an open gas station, and whether or not they'd actually have any gas.
But young enough to have never had to type a college paper on a typewriter.

I'm not as old as some on here but I do remember JFK's funeral.
I remember when the Beatles were newly popular and learning their songs so that I could entertain my older sisters' friends.
I remember the "dirty old man" in our small town that everyone warned their kids about but was never arrested or institutionalized for being a pedophile.
I remember the town drunk that everyone knew about and who was never the target of an intervention.
I remember the first time I tasted beer - my dad's Olympia he was drinking with a couple of guys after they re-roofed the fire department. I was probably 4 or 5.

Well if you remember Olympia do you remember Lucky L or better yet Rainier. I remember sneaking some Rainier in the garage when I was about 12. Boy did I get in trouble!

I'm so old...

I saw ZZ Top performing inside a junior college gymnasium. That's been awhile back. I would love to have seen Janis Joplin.

Old enough to have had blue fingertips and getting high off the mimeograph machine.
Old enough to have watched the first episode of Sesame Street.
Old enough to to know why "Oh-two-one-three-four" always ended with "Send it to Zoom!"
Old enough to have had jerry cans strapped to the back of the station wagon when on family vacation because you didn't know if there would be an open gas station, and whether or not they'd actually have any gas.
But young enough to have never had to type a college paper on a typewriter.

I am old enough;

to know what a jerry can is.

Well if you remember Olympia do you remember Lucky L or better yet Rainier. I remember sneaking some Rainier in the garage when I was about 12. Boy did I get in trouble!

I remember Lucky with the little puzzles under the bottle cap. Mrs. Betcher used to bring me one after I mowed her yard. My cousin from the Portland, OR, area favored Rainier but I didn't see it in the stores much here in No. Cal.

I saw ZZ Top performing inside a junior college gymnasium. That's been awhile back. I would love to have seen Janis Joplin.

Re: Woodstock. We were five country bumpkins 19-20 years old from the farmlands of Western New York. We heard about it on our local radio station (WKBW Buffalo) thinking, "Wow, all these awesome music groups in one place!" and ordered tickets --- $7.50 apiece per day! Which I still have, since there was no place to turn them in when we got there. Several hundred Hell's Angels on their bikes were the "gate" we had to walk through to get to the hillside. No one, including us, ever expected it to turn into the historic event that it did. Quite an eye-opener for a bunch of young bucks who thought they had already seen and knew everything about life.

I remember Lucky with the little puzzles under the bottle cap. Mrs. Betcher used to bring me one after I mowed her yard. My cousin from the Portland, OR, area favored Rainier but I didn't see it in the stores much here in No. Cal.

I moved to Nebraska to live with relatives back in the early 80's. There were commercials for Rainier here in the mid 80's but haven't heard anything since not sure if either are still around. Was living in Grass Valley outside of Camas in a foster home when pulled my stunt.

I'm so old I remember the first time in modern history St. Helens erupted and it dumped ash on everything. Silly people thought it was OK to use windshield wipers to clean it off. Was living in Vancouver at the time.

I remember when cable tv came with a corded box to change channels.
View attachment 237276

Gave a whole new meaning to channel surfing

I remember those. .... remote not included!

I'm so old that kids were used as TV remotes!
I'm so old I remember when HBO became prominent in the late 70's 8 years after it started it would be another 5 years before I ever saw it about the time MTV started their "I want my MTV" advertising making it about 12 years after it started. Getting cable was back the was luck, enough people in your neighborhood had to want it or you had to pay for them to run it down the road to your area. Really suckered for those living in rural areas like me.

I remember watching Goonies on laser disk while playing Merlin... after my intllivision broke while listening to J-Giles Piss on the wall on a record

Laser disk! Oh man I remember they said those were the future! Haha

I think I still have the 1st Divix player & a few discs when they came out. Not to mention my super 8 camera & about 1,500ft of film.

I am OLD

I remember the year Green Bay Packers did not win a game.
I remember when the Edsel came out.
I remember coming in from recess and asking why the girls were all crying and being sent home because JFK was shot.
I remember Colored bathrooms and drinking fountains.
I remember green Johnson outboard motors and Cypress Garden square end water skis.
I remember when Honda's biggest motorcycle was a 90.
I remember having Hank Aaron's rookie baseball card.
I remember Corvairs.

I can't remember what I had for supper last night......

I also learned programming (Fortran & COBOL) on punched-card machines. had to flowchart & pseudocode the programs first

we had 8 punch machines and 3 terminals for 18 students, so there was no way they were going to allow you to type in the entire program at the terminal. you put your stack of cards into the hopper, it read them one-by-one, then sent the program to be batch processed on the IBM mainframe at the government center

I'm so old I remember when the drinking age in the Commonwealth was 18 for on-sale beer, 19 for off-sale beer and 21 for wine & liquor

I'm so old my first drivers license was Virginia's 2-parter. one you filled out, the other was printed on the dot-matrix at the DMV. if the info on both parts didn't match, it was invalid. I wrote my correct SSN, started with 228, but they printed it as 223, so my license was invalid. I had my VA license revoked, so when I applied for one in GA, I gave them my correct Social & there was no record of any license in any state with that number. so I got a Georgia licence

My first car, (ride) Circa 1974, was a 1962 VW Bus ( camper deluxe special ) with skylights, sunroof, table and bench's that folded in to a bed. Tricked out with an 8 track stereo with drive-in speakers.

Man, I wish I still had that van.

What fun I had.

I remember going to the drive-in movies too, so I guess that makes me old.:(

My first car, (ride) Circa 1974, was a 1962 VW Bus ( camper deluxe special ) with skylights, sunroof, table and bench's that folded in to a bed. Tricked out with an 8 track stereo with drive-in speakers.

Man, I wish I still had that van.

What fun I had.

I remember going to the drive-in movies too, so I guess that makes me old.:(

We still have a Drive-In near us that I went to as a kid. Now our kids are taking their kids to it. It packs them in every night during the summer. AND first run movies!

Talk about cars we wish we still had, my first was a '57 Chevy 4-door sedan. An old guy in town had it in his garage. He had just 'upgraded' to a '62 Chevy. I asked him if he wanted to sell the '57. He said, "Sure." I asked how much. He said, "Oh, how about fifty bucks?" Woh!

When I was in the Navy, I programmed the ballistic computer using octal code.

when I was in the Navy, M1 was diagnostics on the UYK-20, reading the register/data lights in octal

first light was read by itself, but the other 15 lights were read in 5 sets of 3, each set representing 0-7

whoever had this one cheated with the tape between the sets

uyk%20panel.jpg

when I was in the Navy, M1 was diagnostics on the UYK-20, reading the register/data lights in octal

first light was read by itself, but the other 15 lights were read in 5 sets of 3, each set representing 0-7

whoever had this one cheated with the tape between the sets

uyk%20panel.jpg

MK52 then AN UYK7. MK86 GFCS on a Spru Can

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Mrs. Betcher was a cougar, she just thought she couldn't get away with it, or did she?

Mrs. Betcher was a cougar, she just thought she couldn't get away with it, or did she?

Gnaw, Mrs. Betcher was no cougar. This was a long time ago; they didn't exist then. She was in her 70s or 80s and I was probably 22. She lived next door to a friend of mine who was in Haiti for several months and I house sat.

Gnaw, Mrs. Betcher was no cougar. This was a long time ago; they didn't exist then. She was in her 70s or 80s and I was probably 22. She lived next door to a friend of mine who was in Haiti for several months and I house sat.

I noticed that you used the word gnaw instead of naw. Makes us all wonder. ...:D

Latest posts

Back