I am so old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
I am so old that we didn't have cell phones in high school, the rich kids had beepers.
I am so old that I played tapes to listen to music.
I am so old that when I was a kid having a answering machine on the only phone in the house was new age.
My parents had and used a black and white TV (when I was little), that only got 2,5,7, and UF32
I am so old I remember when shooting guns was cheap.

I am so old that we didn't have cell phones in high school, the rich kids had beepers.
I am so old that I played tapes to listen to music.
I am so old that when I was a kid having a answering machine on the only phone in the house was new age.
My parents had and used a black and white TV (when I was little), that only got 2,5,7, and UF32
I am so old I remember when shooting guns was cheap.

I am so old you rewound a movie when you were done watching it
I am so old social networking was done between classes
I am so old a busy signal meant who you were calling was home
I am so old a cell phone way a pay-phone in a jail
My parents had orange/grey carpet and it was new
My dad took me to see Star Wars in the theater
I am so old I remember stripes on your socks and little animals on your polos.

Thanks for sharing, man!

I'm so old I remember car's had split windshields.
I'm so old regular gas was 25c per gallon
I'm so old cigs were 35c
I'm so old the only computers were in colleges
I'm so old blue jeans were dungarees
I'm so old new cars were as low as $2,700
I'm so old I remember using brill cream in my hair

Boy the way Glenn Miller Played
Songs that made the Hit Parade
Guys like us we had it made
Those were the days.

Didn't need no Welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
gee our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girls and men were men
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

People seemed to be content
$50 payed the rent
Freaks were in a circus tent
Those were the days

Take a little sunday spin
Tonight I'll watch the dodgers win
Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin

Hair was short and skirts were long
Kate Smith really sung the song
I don't know just what went wrong

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

My dad's beers came in a steel can w/out a pull tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was working on my cabin last summer and found several of those under the porch.

I'm so old that I remember having a 13" black and white console TV that took up as much space as a dresser and weighed a ton. It was old at the time we were not fortunate enough to get a color TV until about the time Nixon resigned. It was a tiny thing also. 12"
I'm so old I remember when a 12" TV was big.
I'm so old I remember watching helicopters flying out of the US embassy in Vietnam on the news.
I'm so old I remember when a full day of school lasted a full day 8am 3:30 and you had full days of school all week every week.
I'm so old a kid mouthing of to a parent or any elder would be met by a swift back hand to the mouth or if at home or school mouth full of soap. And if the cops were called they would give a kid a lecture about being respectful.

I'm so old I watched them build Daytona & the other super speedways
I'm so old I remember when F1's & Indy cars were front engine
I'm so old I went to kindergarten in a two room schoolhouse
I'm so old those split window cars still had flat head valve in block engines
I'm so old I remember watching them launch dogs & monkeys into space to test the capsules

I'm so old I learned how to use a slide rule to do complicated math.
I'm so old I had to use a typewriter to do all my high school term papers.
I'm so old I when I needed a copy of my term paper I had to use carbon paper when I typed it.
I'm so old that when I got my first computer it didn't have a hard drive or a color monitor and cost $3000.
I'm so old my first car had points.
I'm so old my second car had an 8-track tape player.
I'm so old I remember when if a cop pulled you over, and you'd been drinking, he'd follow you to your house to make sure you got home safely.
I'm so old Jesus and I used to shoot hoops (actually that's not true).

I'm so old I can't remember **** anymore..... :D

I'm so old;

We had an 8 track with single speaker "boom box".
Our B&W TV had a two button wired remote, and we still lost it.
We had to light the oven with a match.
You could leave your doors unlocked and NOT get robbed.
You could buy cigarettes as singles.
A child could buy a fifth of Black Velvet for "dad".
Bicycles were fitted with playing cards for a cool sound effect.
Big Wheels and Green Machines were new on the market.
People actually wrote lyrics for songs and played an instrument, instead of a hook they repeat for 3 minutes.

I was working on my cabin last summer and found several of those under the porch.

I'm so old that I remember having a 13" black and white console TV that took up as much space as a dresser and weighed a ton. It was old at the time we were not fortunate enough to get a color TV until about the time Nixon resigned. It was a tiny thing also. 12"
I'm so old I remember when a 12" TV was big.
I'm so old I remember watching helicopters flying out of the US embassy in Vietnam on the news.
I'm so old I remember when a full day of school lasted a full day 8am 3:30 and you had full days of school all week every week.
I'm so old a kid mouthing of to a parent or any elder would be met by a swift back hand to the mouth or if at home or school mouth full of soap. And if the cops were called they would give a kid a lecture about being respectful.

How long is a school day now?

I'm so old I actually remember horses being used for work. (I'm in my mid 50's)

When I was around preschool age I remember seeing a friend of my family use a horse team to log in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Me being so small and the horses being so big the two-horse team seemed literally as big as a house ... made a very lasting impression on me. I also remember when he finally bought a tractor and drove it over, too.
This "lumperjackie" (as my mom would say) was one of two people living nearest to our family's property ... about a mile down the road.
He lived in a large house that had no electricity and no indoor plumbing. Visiting his house was my first experience with an outhouse, I had to be held to prevent falling in while using it. (No plumbing but he sure did have a sauna out back.)
His elderly father who lived in that house with him, whom I knew only as "Old Man Koski", was 99 years old when I met him. Though I only saw him a couple times I can still clearly picture him in my mind.

Old Mr. Koski was born a couple months before Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in 1865.

That I actually knew someone who was alive when Lincoln was alive is an odd feeling. Somewhere between feeling old and feeling, maybe, privileged.
We are not as far removed from history as we think.

Yep, I guess "I am so old ..."

It was a big day when our party-line phone was converted to a dedicated line.

Staying home sick from school to watch Apollo launches.

How long is a school day now?

Well my youngest son graduated last year (school year) an many if not most started around 9 and most were off in 2 o'clock hour. Every Tuesday was a shorter day by a couple of hours for "teacher planning " then there was the days off for something every couple of weeks. It has gotten so bad with the days off that summer vacation only goes from first or second week of June to first or second week of august without adding any additional school days. And don't get me started on the removal of recess for the fat little kids running around. (Oops I guess the fat kids don't do much running )
I am not trying to offend the fat kids they don't get there on their own.

Those were the days.

Didn't need no Welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
gee our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girls and men were men
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

People seemed to be content
$50 payed the rent
Freaks were in a circus tent
Those were the days

Take a little sunday spin
Tonight I'll watch the dodgers win
Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin

Hair was short and skirts were long
Kate Smith really sung the song
I don't know just what went wrong

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

Song firmly planted in my brain, thanks.

Learned to use a slide rule in junior high math. The teacher showed us a neat $200 Texas Instruments calculator that did the 4 arithmetic functions and even percents! "Some day, every one of you will have one!" He was right.

Every kid carried some kind of folding knife to school and nobody locked down the place or called the SWAT team. In fact, we openly showed them off to each other in classrooms. In high school we kept shotguns in the trunks of our cars so we could hit the fields for a little bird hunting after school.

If there was a fight after school (and there usually was), the was a certain code of honor that was to be observed. The fight ended when one of them went down. The winner would often extend his hand to help the loser back on his feet. Then they would walk away. Hostilities would end then and there and the matter was settled. No one called up their posse to get payback and no shots were fired.

If a teacher called our home to say I did something stupid, my parents grilled me when I got home. They never went over to the school to insist that their precious little snowflake would never do anything like that or try to defend my actions. Mom & Dad sided with the teacher and I got punished.

Most of us drove $300 junkers in high school. Nobody was worried about "being seen in some crappy old car." Those crappy old cars gave us independence and allowed us to go to part time jobs, parties, on dates, etc. A buck's worth of gas would get us all over town on a Friday night.

Radio stations played a little something for everyone. On a typical Top-40 station you could hear Led Zeppelin, Willie Nelson, Tom Jones, Cheech & Chong, O'Jays, and the Osmonds. All in a row.

My lawn...get off it.

I learned to program with punch cards.
I remember the first Sputnik launch (and how it hurt national pride).
I remember Howdy Doody.

Brew on :mug:

I'm so old
in high school only dealers had beepers
most everyone drove a VDub
you could leave your rifle in the gun rack in the school parking lot
I read 1984 BEFORE 1984
MTV used to be all music all day
my first 45 was The Hollies-Long Cool Woman
I used to watch Lawrence Welk with Granny
Granny still had stuff in the basement that was canned during WWII
Our family car was a 67 GTO

Despite how old I am, I'll never be as old as unionrdr :ban:

I'm not as old as some on here but I do remember JFK's funeral.
I remember when the Beatles were newly popular and learning their songs so that I could entertain my older sisters' friends.
I remember the "dirty old man" in our small town that everyone warned their kids about but was never arrested or institutionalized for being a pedophile.
I remember the town drunk that everyone knew about and who was never the target of an intervention.
I remember the first time I tasted beer - my dad's Olympia he was drinking with a couple of guys after they re-roofed the fire department. I was probably 4 or 5.

I remember watching Goonies on laser disk while playing Merlin... after my intllivision broke while listening to J-Giles Piss on the wall on a record

Those were the days.
Song firmly planted in my brain, thanks.

If you can't stop it from playing, you could try to cancel it out with another obsessive song, for instance "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da".

If really bad, you could invoke the nuclear option: the Meow Mix jingle. (Hint: the first word is "Meow" ... I will not speak the rest.
Er, ok, all the words are "meow".)

Though this might be a case of the cure being worse than the ailment.

I'm so old,

my favorite childhood shows were:

Hogans Hero's
Gilligans Island
The Honeymooners
Gomer Pyle USMC
Andy Griffith

And watching Billy-Klubb waddle around in his diapers.

Back