The SAS Survival Handbook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIP

Reaction score
I have been reading through the SAS handbooks plant section, and thinking about local plants that could be used in brewing. There are a lot... Carry on.

I thought that you were going to say that the manual had a section on brewing beer. I mean it is important to survival...It prevents you from getting pathongens like e-coli from drinking water....it is liquid bread as well...and drink enough of it an you feel no pain...all the best tings for human survival I would say,

Cat's tail is my favorite. It talks about the leaves and young shoots, but I grew up eating the core of the stalk, it is sweet and mellon like. Clover, salmonberry, hops ;), wild rhubarb, the inner bark of a ton of trees, red spruce, black spruce (one of those in my yard), the young fiddleheads of ferns and lots more.

I just picked up Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, I think he talks about some of those ingredients in there...I'm still at the beginning but he did mention some of the pre-hop bittering agents briefly. I'm sure he'll go into more detail later on.

Hmmm...Cat's tail core is melon like? Rather than beer, I wonder if it can be broken down and used in a mead or a wine????

Oh, this book also covers some interesting ancient ingredients

51SBD3S9HML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This thread has potential. :mug:

Sheep Sorrel grows all over in my neck of the woods and it is something I had thought of adding in the past. I just don't know what I would add it to. It has a real tangy, almost citrusy flavor. It might be local in your area as well, but I don't know the scientific name. It is just what I remember from the boy scout handbook in the early '80's

Sheep Sorrel grows all over in my neck of the woods and it is something I had thought of adding in the past. I just don't know what I would add it to. It has a real tangy, almost citrusy flavor. It might be local in your area as well, but I don't know the scientific name. It is just what I remember from the boy scout handbook in the early '80's

Would that be wild sorrel?

3825197133_2e3a439dd6.jpg

Hmmm...Cat's tail core is melon like? Rather than beer, I wonder if it can be broken down and used in a mead or a wine????

I have mashed it up and spread it, it is VERY light in flavor.

Never would have thought about Devils Club. I have gotten caught in a patch of that stuff, not fun.

I wish it was spring. I am going on an all raw (and beer) diet soon, and I would love to go out and find my own, unique, salads.

The way things have been around here lately, stuff is going to be early this year. I already have hop shoots coming out (in fricken January).

Would it be weird to try using wild mint in a beer? I'm not even sure what style it would compliment. I'm thinking mint chocolate stout.

Would it be weird to try using wild mint in a beer? I'm not even sure what style it would compliment. I'm thinking mint chocolate stout.

I think it would be wonderful in many beers, crushed to release the flavor.

With all the rain we've been getting here lately, the ocotillos are blooming. The Anasazi are rumored to have fermented the buds way back in history. Maybe use a bitter mint to offset the sweetness.
I've got a couple of books on edibla and medicinal plants of the desert SW. Of course I was thinking of what I could brew with every entry. :)

Another resurrection. I am going to play with some Texan plants this year. Maybe Cacti. I have already collected some mesquite for smoking my meats. This place opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.

Back