Amber Ale With Figs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
Bit of a backstory first. In my very early brewing days about 15 years ago I worked at a hospital that had tons of Brown Turkey fig trees planted around it, with so many fresh figs available I knew I had to brew with them. One day I picked a boatload and made a 5 gallon Fat Tire clone. Unfortunately, my first brewing notebook was lost in my many moves since then. All I remember is that I added all the figs at flameout along with some fresh ginger, but the exact amounts escape me. This beer turned out incredible, probably due more to luck than skill as I still had mostly no clue as to what I was doing.
Fast forward to present time, the fig tree I planted 6 years ago is pumping out a steady stream of figs, so I have been picking each day and dehydrating them. I now have a little over a pound of dried figs and want to brew the Fat Tire clone again. My plan is to brew, save some wort, dice up the figs and reconstitute them in the wort, then add to the fermentor. I have looked at a few other threads about using figs and this seems like a good way to proceed, but wanted to get some feedback if anyone has any to offer. Thanks!

I'm not sure of the exact conversion, but I think a boatload might be more than a pound. ;)

Reconstituting the figs in wort sounds like an interesting idea. Personally, I would pasteurize the reconstituted figs before adding them to the FV. Unless you want to make a sour.

I just used 5 pounds of fresh but frozen figs in a stout ...pasteurized by bringing them up to 160 degrees in water and soaking for 10 minutes.
I don't see any reason you couldn't use wort . I added mine 5 days into fermentation . I'm no expert though this is my first attempt.

Just finished pasteurizing my fig puree. Also five pounds; also frozen and thawed; also for a stout; also my first attempt. It's late, so I'll let the chill overnight and dump them into the fermenter in the morning. It will be four full days since pitching; primary fermentation seems to be mostly done.

I'm not sure of the exact conversion, but I think a boatload might be more than a pound. ;)

Reconstituting the figs in wort sounds like an interesting idea. Personally, I would pasteurize the reconstituted figs before adding them to the FV. Unless you want to make a sour.
I hadn't considered pasteurizing them, probably a good idea though.

My parents have two generous persimmon tress that I plan on making a sour with later in the fall though.

I have a massive fig tree in the backyard and I might have to take figs we planned on making jam to try this. Any other thoughts on styles that would go well with figs?

I have a massive fig tree in the backyard and I might have to take figs we planned on making jam to try this. Any other thoughts on styles that would go well with figs?
Amber ale worked great for me the first time so that's what I will do again soon. As others mentioned a Belgian or Christmas ale type beer would be a good mix too I bet. In my opinion figs work well with warming spices or any beer style that is more malt forward.

Back