First pressure fermenting - how to measure final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I didn't think about this before deciding to pressure ferment in kegs....
I have both a refractometer and hydrometer. Can I use either one of those to get an accurate FG reading after pressure fermenting is complete? The Blow-Tie is currently reading about 10psi and I've been fermenting a Belgian Tripel for about 4 days so far.
Do I need to somehow get rid of what carbonation before checking FG? I've read that pouring the beer through coffee filters can do this quickly, but that almost sounds like an old wives tale.
Thanks.

You might have better luck using the refractometer with a refractometer calculator like this one provided by the forum owner that can account for the presence of alcohol...

Cheers!

I tend to use something like a tilt when pressure fermenting, but if you would to meassure with a hydrometer you need to get rid of the co2 in some way. I’ve had success with either coffee filters, putting it in a jar with a lid and shaking, or pouring back and forth multiple times.

It can. Most are sold as having ATC (automatic temperature compensation) but that's to account for temperature effects on internal optics, not to compensate for the sample temperature.

In practice on brew days, I keep a small bowl filled with ice water handy and use a pair of 4oz Sam Adams tasting glasses to grab very small test samples for pH and/or gravity and chill them in the bowl to 70°F before using an eye dropper to draw enough for a refract reading, or dunk the pH meter in for a reading...

Cheers!

Back