The Saison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's arguable that you could have a tart-tasting beer that contains no actual lactic or acetic acid, but comes across as tart because it's so dry and the PH low enough to be tart.

All beer is acidic. Any beer that actually tastes acidic or tart or sour or whatever you want to call it contains acid at a level beyond the perception threshold. It doesn't have to be lactic or acetic, but if a beer tastes 'sour', it's because there is acid in it.

Technically, it's a bier de miel, which is basically a saison made with honey. Anna and East Bank are other contemporary examples of the style.

Are you technically making **** up or technically talking out of your ass here?

All beer is acidic. Any beer that actually tastes acidic or tart or sour or whatever you want to call it contains acid at a level beyond the perception threshold. It doesn't have to be lactic or acetic, but if a beer tastes 'sour', it's because there is acid in it.

Are you technically making **** up or technically talking out of your ass here?
Neither?

Dupont claims it has made Biere de miel since 1880.
http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/en/7002-biere-de-miel-bio.html

They talk about it semi-generically, as if their name for it is the name of a style as opposed to their clever name for what it is.

The beers I cited all fit that classification.

Neither?

Dupont claims it has made Biere de miel since 1880.
http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/en/7002-biere-de-miel-bio.html

They talk about it semi-generically, as if their name for it is the name of a style as opposed to their clever name for what it is.

The beers I cited all fit that classification.

'Beer with honey' isn't any more a style than 'beer with sugar'.

First brewed in '97 per the bottom of this page (and the link you posted now that I look at it). Great article on Dupont. Can't remember if I saw it here or on FB, but I hope I thanked whoever posted it. Really good stuff.

Last edited:
'Beer with honey' isn't any more a style than 'beer with sugar'.

First brewed in '97 per the bottom of this page (and the link you posted now that I look at it). Great article on Dupont. Can't remember if I saw it here or on FB, but I hope I thanked whoever posted it. Really good stuff.

That page has been making the rounds for a while. I posted it the Saison, Biere de Garde, and Farmhouse Ale Appreciation group a week or two ago in response to someone asking for saison history outside of Yvan's overview in Farmhouse Ales.

I think it's OK. Just warming up for FFB season with drgarage. Hell, you're in our league!

giphy.gif

11745771_10105257783067400_642489902542863465_n.jpg

Jandrain-Jandrenouille IV. An amazing beer from a vastly under-appreciated brewery. Hay and mild grain alongside floral and faint earthy notes. Light body with a very dry, crisp finish.

IV is very good, but I am a sucker for their VI Wheat Saison. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes it as much as I do. Every year at Max's Belgian Fest, I get a full pour of it.

Unfortunately, every time I order it online, it is well past it's freshness date. Just not the same.

I went on a shelf Tome hunt yesterday and found quite a variety in Jacksonville. I ended up only buying 4 bottles because I promised my friends back home that id return with an assortment of stuff to share with them. In looking at my haul so far I feel like Thorpe429

This turned from a locals only haul into a saison haul:
4 tomes
some saint somewhere bottles
4 different saint peters saisons (blanc, brett'd blanc, noir, brett'd noir)
terrapin blackberry cobbler farmhouse
6 different prairie offerings

I just looked at the reviews on BA...ouch (especially that terrapin.) Perhaps I should return to the stores before heading home and just buy more Tomes and Prairie stuff

IV is very good, but I am a sucker for their VI Wheat Saison. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes it as much as I do. Every year at Max's Belgian Fest, I get a full pour of it.

Unfortunately, every time I order it online, it is well past it's freshness date. Just not the same.

Agree, I like the VI more than the IV as well. I've been ordering it from Etre and it's fresher that way compared with buying it in the U.S. when I happen to see it around, but nowhere near the absolute magic it is on tap at Moeder Lambic.

I went on a shelf Tome hunt yesterday and found quite a variety in Jacksonville. I ended up only buying 4 bottles because I promised my friends back home that id return with an assortment of stuff to share with them. In looking at my haul so far I feel like Thorpe429

This turned from a locals only haul into a saison haul:
4 tomes
some saint somewhere bottles
4 different saint peters saisons (blanc, brett'd blanc, noir, brett'd noir)
terrapin blackberry cobbler farmhouse
6 different prairie offerings

I wasn't a fan of the Brett Blanc, so didn't end up trying any of the others. Saint Somewhere tends to range from good to fantastic for me, so I enjoy grabbing those from time to time. I should intentionally age some (rather than finding ones that may or may not be old on shelves) since I think Bob has said all of them have Brett. I haven't had much Prairie lately. Some of their offerings seem like they may have slipped form previous batches.

Some of their offerings seem like they may have slipped form previous batches.

This. I think their most consistent and best beer may be Standard lol. Many of the beers that went to 500mL formats are not as good as the 750s unfortunately.

Agree, I like the VI more than the IV as well. I've been ordering it from Etre and it's fresher that way compared with buying it in the U.S. when I happen to see it around, but nowhere near the absolute magic it is on tap at Moeder Lambic.
Probably the best Saison I've ever had was VI on tap at Apex in Portland. I'm actually sitting on my bottle, as that keg had a really nice brett character that I'm hoping will emerge over a long time, given that freshness was out of the question before I got it.

Probably the best Saison I've ever had was VI on tap at Apex in Portland. I'm actually sitting on my bottle, as that keg had a really nice brett character that I'm hoping will emerge over a long time, given that freshness was out of the question before I got it.

Do you know for sure that it has Brett in it? I've never really had aged, so I don't have any idea, but I remember fresh on tap having a light lemon-like character, so it would seem entirely possible that there could be some Brett C. I also don't know how "clean" of an operation it is, and whether they're likely to have some Brett and/or bacteria infections without intentionally adding them.

f53b52df98231564117224401f223a20_640x640.jpg

Tired Hands Shambolic. Nose is heavy on the white grape and Nelson character. Flavor has a bit of grain alongside white grapes, gooseberries, and a bit of dank-hop character. As it warms, some faint yeast character comes through with some earthiness and a touch of pepper. Light body with ample carbonation, leading to a very dry, crisp finish. Quite pleased with this one as well. Jean -- Start canning/bottling more of the saisons, please!

Do you know for sure that it has Brett in it? I've never really had aged, so I don't have any idea, but I remember fresh on tap having a light lemon-like character, so it would seem entirely possible that there could be some Brett C. I also don't know how "clean" of an operation it is, and whether they're likely to have some Brett and/or bacteria infections without intentionally adding them.
I'm not sure at all, but the phenolic character seemed more Bretty than saison yeasty, if that makes sense. More funk than spice.

They have a gorgeous old stone barn brewing facility. Equipment looks cutting edge, though. Hard to know without asking.

One of my good friends brewed that beer.

I've never had it. Do you have access to any more and could goandpickitupformebro?
Oh right on.
I would imagine there is still some. I can check the store sometime this week and pick some up. How many would you want?

Yup. Haven't seen him or Emily since their wedding (Feb 2013), but hopefully in the next year. Gotta see his spot in Germany.
I met him back in spring 2013 when I was in Paris for 6 months. Really nice guy and super helpful with my weekly trips to Cave a Bulles. I think they had just started brewing around that time.

Hopefully some more of their stuff makes it over here.

I met him back in spring 2013 when I was in Paris for 6 months. Really nice guy and super helpful with my weekly trips to Cave a Bulles. I think they had just started brewing around that time.

Hopefully some more of their stuff makes it over here.
I think half of TB has met up with Brandon at Cave. Didn't realize he was brewing now. ISO!

More pictures and reviews!

This is batch 2, bottled 4/24/2015. Batch 1 was okay, nothing spectacular. This bad boy, however. Nice light tartness, mild to moderate funk, yeasty cloves, tons of lively carb and a light to moderately creamy body. I think this batch is up there with Casey Saison. Had a second bottle yesterday and it was even better than the first.

Has anyone tried the Kameleon Saison? The brewer is a lab tech at Duvel that's branching out and making organic beers, so I'd be interested to see if anyone thinks the organic ingredients have an effect on the style or taste. I really like it but can't tell if it does.

Has anyone tried the Kameleon Saison? The brewer is a lab tech at Duvel that's branching out and making organic beers, so I'd be interested to see if anyone thinks the organic ingredients have an effect on the style or taste. I really like it but can't tell if it does.
It's probably the same as every other organic product and has no noticeable difference in taste over it's non-organic counterparts.

had this 2013 CS Vieille jammer the other day.

1Zg5YEC.jpg

I can't believe this is the first one of these I've ever had! I will now buy it every time I see it. Probably.

Tart, citrusy, and very subtle oak in the background. No weird estery stuff - just about everything I look for in a barrel aged saison.

16c23c72e0d9c2619e795717ef67cb31_640x640.jpg

Get Radical / Thiriez Train to Mars. Heavy low-alpha hop bitterness. Straw and floral notes, slightly skunky, anda bit of mint toward the finish. Super dry, bitter, and crisp.

I'm not really getting any of the Mosaic or Simcoe. As much as I can appreciate the green bottle and slight skunky character in traditional, Old World saisons, it works against the American hops here, taking over so their character isn't really recognizable. (It's also possible that they used a pretty small dosage.) With that said, it's a fantastic beer in its own right, just doesn't really showcase the American hops that were used.

16c23c72e0d9c2619e795717ef67cb31_640x640.jpg

Get Radical / Thiriez Train to Mars. Heavy low-alpha hop bitterness. Straw and floral notes, slightly skunky, anda bit of mint toward the finish. Super dry, bitter, and crisp.

I'm not really getting any of the Mosaic or Simcoe. As much as I can appreciate the green bottle and slight skunky character in traditional, Old World saisons, it works against the American hops here, taking over so their character isn't really recognizable. (It's also possible that they used a pretty small dosage.) With that said, it's a fantastic beer in its own right, just doesn't really showcase the American hops that were used.

Really looking forward to that one. I'd rather it not have a ton of US hop character than taste like Vermontoise. Skunky Amarillo was a special kinda nasty for me.

Latest posts

Back