The Saison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know logsdon gets a lot of love...but i dont get it.

i had a saison and bretta version right out the gate when they opened (admittedly before i knew anything about the brewery) and i thought both were overcarbonated bottles of mehh. i dont understand the hype of their peche beer that was quite forgettable and their cherry beer was not that great either.

im not writing this to be a dick, i just dont get it. i recently was gifted a bottle of bretta so im hoping it changes my opinion and i finally see the light on this brewery
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of their stuff either. Peche n' Brett smells so good, but it just doesn't deliver on the taste the way I want it to. I know not every saison needs to be tart, but I'm definitely going to gravitate more towards that.

Yeah I have found their stuff pretty average overall. Agree precisely about PnB--nose is amazing, taste is good but not exceptional. I think my favorite of their beers has been Oak Bretta. Regardless, I enjoy the shelf stuff enough to pay their (very reasonable) prices if I have the chance, but not really to trade for them, certainly not to hype them up.

i had a saison and bretta version right out the gate when they opened (admittedly before i knew anything about the brewery) and i thought both were overcarbonated bottles of mehh. i dont understand the hype of their peche beer that was quite forgettable and their cherry beer was not that great either.

im not writing this to be a dick, i just dont get it. i recently was gifted a bottle of bretta so im hoping it changes my opinion and i finally see the light on this brewery

I think PnB is really tasty, smells like ripe peaches. I think the saisons used to be better. Especially Bretta, doesn't seem to have the citrus character it used to have fresh.

I think I love the idea of Logsdon more than the actual beers a lot of the time. With that said, I've had bottles of Bretta and Oak Bretta that I thought were magnificent, and others that were just okay. I really enjoyed the Szech n Brett bottles that I've had thus far. I've only had Aberrant and Straffe Drieling once each, but really enjoyed those "super saisons" when I had them the first time. Very different profiles for two relatively-high ABV saisons from the same brewery. I have another bottle of each (had ordered earlier versions online) now that they're in Chicago. Looking forward to trying those.

I did not enjoy the Wit or the cherry (Cerasus).

Finally got to try some Blaugies last night. I am very jealous of you folks that get distro. Some of the best saisons I've had.
Hell yeah man, when you get a good bottle they are great beers. Wish they switch to something other than the green bottle though, I get pretty upset when opening a skunked bottle. This bottle I had a few weeks ago was taken directly out of a box and I asked the guy to put it in a sleeve bag for me...primetime.

BE3594B7-03EC-498B-A836-050145052D93.jpg

Hell yeah man, when you get a good bottle they are great beers. Wish they switch to something other than the green bottle though, I get pretty upset when opening a skunked bottle. This bottle I had a few weeks ago was taken directly out of a box and I asked the guy to put it in a sleeve bag for me...primetime.

BE3594B7-03EC-498B-A836-050145052D93.jpg
Had that same beer with a much different label last night. WTF??

I had a Goose Island Sofie over the 4th weekend, I remember being very surprised how good it was. I believe it had quite a bit of funk in it.

I had a Goose Island Sofie over the 4th weekend, I remember being very surprised how good it was. I believe it had quite a bit of funk in it.

I haven't had an aged bottle in quite some time, but at least in the past, a really nice tropical, pineapple-heavy Brett character would develop after a year or two in the bottle. I hope they haven't changed things up and that beer is still bottled with Brett.

I haven't had an aged bottle in quite some time, but at least in the past, a really nice tropical, pineapple-heavy Brett character would develop after a year or two in the bottle. I hope they haven't changed things up and that beer is still bottled with Brett.
Hmm... IDK how old the bottle was, had it at a bar and didn't think to look. I'll hit up the store and do some research tonight, they usually have Sofie just sitting around.

comparing a wild/brett beer (aka top farmhouse/saison brewers) to a sour mash/sour wort sacch only beer is kinda comparing apples to oranges.

Yep. Westbrook Gose is a sour wort for example. I don't think it belongs on this thread.

I had fairly low expectations but Higashino from Tahoe Mountain was a solid saison. It was a 9/2014 bottle. It could go much longer as the Brett was still fairly young. It delivered on the bottle notes. You get peppercorn, pear juice, and floral notes. It was close to an amber body. ABV was right on point on the low end. I could use a hint more carb. It had a hint of dryness on the finish. I don't know what these run for the 500 mL as I got one as an extra, but it exceeded my low expectations. It was a slightly poor man's Seizoen Bretta in terms of flavor profile but it lacked that level of carb and the Brett development. I did like it better than standard Logsdon Seizoen.

I had fairly low expectations but Higashino from Tahoe Mountain was a solid saison. It was a 9/2014 bottle. It could go much longer as the Brett was still fairly young. It delivered on the bottle notes. You get peppercorn, pear juice, and floral notes. It was close to an amber body. ABV was right on point on the low end. I could use a hint more carb. It had a hint of dryness on the finish. I don't know what these run for the 500 mL as I got one as an extra, but it exceeded my low expectations. It was a slightly poor man's Seizoen Bretta in terms of flavor profile but it lacked that level of carb and the Brett development. I did like it better than standard Logsdon Seizoen.

I think this crushed all recent Bretta's I've had! Terrific sleeper beer, very well executed IMO.

Had an Edith last night, **** me it was good. Are all Hill Farmstead saisons that sour?

Most of the HF saisons are somewhat tart, but aren't particularly sour. That could be either an outlier bottle or maybe one of the first batch bottles of Edith. Or maybe you just meant tart and I'm reading into the language thinking you mean quite sour.

Most of the HF saisons are somewhat tart, but aren't particularly sour. That could be either an outlier bottle or maybe one of the first batch bottles of Edith. Or maybe you just meant tart and I'm reading into the language thinking you mean quite sour.
My palate isn't refined enough to differentiate tart and sour. It was a 2014 bottle, definitely more sour than I expected but I'm not talking about upland level sourness here.

It had a some funk in it too but the sourness was stronger than the funk.

My palate isn't refined enough to differentiate tart and sour. It was a 2014 bottle, definitely more sour than I expected but I'm not talking about upland level sourness here.

It had a some funk in it too but the sourness was stronger than the funk.
There is no real difference between tart and sour. It's arguable that you could have a tart-tasting beer that contains no actual lactic or acetic acid, but comes across as tart because it's so dry and the PH low enough to be tart.

There are those who might try to separate "tart" as being with lactic acid only and "sour" as a combination of lactic and acetic acid (malic acid would be a different issue and require a different term), but this is, to be frank, super-dumb. Having made an all lactic berlinerweisse that I believe to be below 3 in PH, it is definitely sour and not tart. The only objective measure would be either PH (or titratable acidity, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either, as the "net sourness," somewhat reflected by PH, is a more accurate depiction of how it will taste).

TL:DR shut up, Pete.

There is no real difference between tart and sour. It's arguable that you could have a tart-tasting beer that contains no actual lactic or acetic acid, but comes across as tart because it's so dry and the PH low enough to be tart.

There are those who might try to separate "tart" as being with lactic acid only and "sour" as a combination of lactic and acetic acid (malic acid would be a different issue and require a different term), but this is, to be frank, super-dumb. Having made an all lactic berlinerweisse that I believe to be below 3 in PH, it is definitely sour and not tart. The only objective measure would be either PH (or titratable acidity, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either, as the "net sourness," somewhat reflected by PH, is a more accurate depiction of how it will taste).

Liked for inadvertent smiley

Ha, yeah, I was going for subjective with "tart" being tasting just a little bit acidic and "sour" being fairly acidic.

Ha, yeah, I was going for subjective with "tart" being tasting just a little bit acidic and "sour" being fairly acidic.
It's the only definition that makes real sense -- jivex5k has tended to want to learn about this style, so trying to fill in what one of the short hands used by nerds.

The only objective measure would be either PH (or titratable acidity, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either, as the "net sourness," somewhat reflected by PH, is a more accurate depiction of how it will taste).
ZO5tKbO.png

I just use this scale:
YDAQ7ub.png

I'd put Edith just before the lemon.

Technically, it's a bier de miel, which is basically a saison made with honey. Anna and East Bank are other contemporary examples of the style.
Bière de Miel, actually. Do you even français, frère?

Thanks for clarifying, though. Glad it ended up with me being right. Happens all the time.

Latest posts

Back