The Saison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really looking forward to that one. I'd rather it not have a ton of US hop character than taste like Vermontoise. Skunky Amarillo was a special kinda nasty for me.

That's definitely the case here. Didn't get any typical Mosaic or Simcoe character. Plenty of bitterness and other flavors seemed to either be from the yeast or the Aramis.

For the saison ticker looking for a really good, largely unknown Texas saison, Oddwood Ales Saison is fantastic. Had a bottle last night. Thanks again, xpimptastikx!

They're still pretty new, and actually brew out of Adelberts (a mediocre Belgian style brewery) here in Austin. The saison has only been released twice so far, but I always grab a bottle when I see it because it's only $12!!

Holy **** tosh, this is amazing.

342FE126-DFB0-44E2-B52B-0DAF61FD17DC_zpszgvp19dv.jpg

had this 2013 CS Vieille jammer the other day.

1Zg5YEC.jpg

I can't believe this is the first one of these I've ever had! I will now buy it every time I see it. Probably.

Tart, citrusy, and very subtle oak in the background. No weird estery stuff - just about everything I look for in a barrel aged saison.
Surette and Vieille all day, errday.

a34109b3c6ace625d3535ca82e65c5d1_640x640.jpg

Gorgeous beer. Fresh bottle. Light and airy with grassy notes alongside some floral/earthy notes. No lightstruck character at all. Will need to start buying this by the case so it's under my control rather than sitting on shelves for years.

Can we get this in 4-packs of 330ml bottles so I can drink one everyday? :D

Got to try a Saint Somewhere saison yesterday, don't even remember which one but it was awesome. I'd heard pretty mixed reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Need more.

Last time I had their saison was a couple of years ago and I really didn't like it. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Last time I had their saison was a couple of years ago and I really didn't like it. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.
We used to carry them at the shop I work at years ago I'm told, and I guess there were tons of bottle bombs and they didn't taste all that great. Cynthiana was spot on though.

We used to carry them at the shop I work at years ago I'm told, and I guess there were tons of bottle bombs and they didn't taste all that great. Cynthiana was spot on though.
Really hit or miss IMO. Last one I had was Pays de Soleil and it was great, but had a couple others before that that were putrid. Acetic and acetyl acetate out the wazoo. Bad enough that I doubt I'll ever buy again. Bob had a little online hissy fit when I said something about it on a FB group. Would much rather gamble on Fantome.

Really hit or miss IMO. Last one I had was Pays de Soleil and it was great, but had a couple others before that that were putrid. Acetic and acetyl acetate out the wazoo. Bad enough that I doubt I'll ever buy again. Bob had a little online hissy fit when I said something about it on a FB group. Would much rather gamble on Fantome.

dat farmhouse roulette tho.
are we still expecting jester king to start experimenting with awful batch variation so they can be like fantome (jk lymi jester king)?

Yep. I had a bottle of Deja Vu that was so acidic it hurt my throat. Just a couple days ago I had a Lectio Divina that was pretty meh, at least it wasn't a drainpour though. Lectio isn't a saison though, but it's all they had funnily enough. I think Total Wine just stopped ordering beers from them, the one I bought was from 2013.

I think Bob's just upset that nobody gives a **** about his "wild ales" yet everyone on the forums are clamoring for funky saisons from Hill Farmstead and Sante.

I actually have really liked all the beers I've had from St. Somewhere. Especially the one they did with Intangeble Ales with the kumquats. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I actually have really liked all the beers I've had from St. Somewhere. Especially the one they did with Intangeble Ales with the kumquats. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Best one I've had. Tasty for sure.

Just saw this and came here to post!

Huh. Logsdon started and sold Wyeast, but in the interviews I listened to about the brewery he sounded like it was a lifetime project. Seems really strange.

Article says he is retiring, so that makes a bit more sense. Also doesn't seem like as much of a sale when the group includes original Logsdon investors. However, Logsdon himself and the brewmaster (Chuck Porter) leaving, still sounds like a sizable shakeup.

I think the Logsdon news is really good.
I've heard complaints from some of the ownership group about the direction the brewery was going and why they wanted big changes.
With a bit of time, I think we'll all be really happy with them returning to original form and eventually being better than ever.

Also, the new school blog is horrible. Poorly written marketing for the advertisers and reactionary tripe.
That is merely my opinion of course.

I think the Logsdon news is really good.
I've heard complaints from some of the ownership group about the direction the brewery was going and why they wanted big changes.
With a bit of time, I think we'll all be really happy with them returning to original form and eventually being better than ever.

Also, the new school blog is horrible. Poorly written marketing for the advertisers and reactionary tripe.
That is merely my opinion of course.

Any details on direction?

I heard bringing the original processes back.
Looking forward to the return of the normal delicious Peche n Brett after this past releases catastrophe.

Any info on the old versus new processes? And rumors on exactly what they'll be doing with the coolship? Full spontaneous fermentation? Catching some microbes before pitching their yeast blend?

Also, did anyone notice that the article has been edited to say that Logsdon will be staying with the company for a bit longer?

La Biere de Fantasie has definitely tarted up over the past few months. It could be bottle vs draft differentiation as well, but this sucker is drinking fantastically right now. I wouldn't really want it any more tart than this. Quenching dryness throughout. Major stone fruit presence.
CLcPPNdUkAAyLum.jpg:large

Prairie Somewhere is ****ing good. Had one a couple days ago, had to go get another one I liked it so much. Tart and funky, best damn thing I've gotten off a shelf in a long time.

La Biere de Fantasie has definitely tarted up over the past few months. It could be bottle vs draft differentiation as well, but this sucker is drinking fantastically right now. I wouldn't really want it any more tart than this. Quenching dryness throughout. Major stone fruit presence.
That's also exactly how it was on draft last weekend down at the SP Cellar for that Off Color/SP charity event. I really enjoyed it fresh, but wow what a change in only what, 6 months? Love it right now.

That's also exactly how it was on draft last weekend down at the SP Cellar for that Off Color/SP charity event. I really enjoyed it fresh, but wow what a change in only what, 6 months? Love it right now.

I had it at SP Cellar on tap after the du Fermier release and it was at least 50/50 Apex Predator if not slightly more AP, but now it is almost all SP saison. Good to know it had the same impact on tap. The bottles were still mildly reasonable to trade for in Chicagoland at last check. That would change if folks popped some of those bottles open. Delicious.

I only had it from the bottle fresh, but I couldn't agree more. Glad I held onto a few.
I'm interested to see how/if Corybantic evolves. Had that at the Belgian Beer Fest that weekend and I didn't care for it. It was so sweet, almost off putting.

Good to hear. I'll have to get mine popped soon.

IBCyOYP.jpg

Jolly Pumpkin E.S. Bam with mussels at HopCat Grand Rapids yesterday. Bottled March 2012. Floral and leafy up front with a bit of bread crust in the background. Earthy Brett with just a bit of plasticy phenolics. Excessively dry with ample carbonation. Really hope they start bottling this again soon!

Was at Tired Hands this weekend( pretty much every day from Friday-Sunday.) The now Foudre aged Saisonhands is a revelation. Not sure if anyone has had it before and then had it lately but it's a completely different beer. Big oak character, tart, really nice melon/tropical brettyness. Should be bottled in 750 green bottles soon. Can't wait to try a bottle conditioned version.

The now Foudre aged Saisonhands is a revelation. Should be bottled in 750 green bottles soon. Can't wait to try a bottle conditioned version.

That makes sense based on the instagram posts, but I heard "Honey, I love you" for those green bottles as well. Don't think I've had Saison hands in 2 years but would probably take either.

Is there a reason they are using green bottles? Seems... wrong-headed. I know that Saison DuPont and some of the other traditional saison producers use them.

I have read that the light-struck character in DuPont is preferable to some folks, but it just seems a bit silly to me.

Back