The Saison Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had this guy over the weekend:

Absolutely beautiful. Saison Bernice is my favorite saison and Cellarman B3 is right up there with it, if not better. Also love Casey's.

For anyone that has had Flora, how does it compare? I was wondering if it's worth going for compared to Bernice and Cellarman.

Flora is quite different. Much more funky, with a very soft acidity. You can taste the cobwebs in it.

oHWtfW5.jpg

Really enjoying this. Excellent balence of tart/fruit/crisp.

Found a pic of the label, it was Sporadic #1 (Wine). Second bottle of their stuff a friend has opened, and really enjoyed them all.

I wonder if there is some bottle variation on this one. I thought it was interesting enough to struggle through a glass, but the acetic kept me from enjoying it or finishing the bottle.

Had the Citra saison version of Rondy Brew Sunday. Probably the best Anchorage I've had and I've liked them all.

Not sure on bottle variation for that particular version of Sporadic, but at least the bottle I had of Sporadic #1 (Wine) was far too acidic. Notes on each:
  • Sporadic #1 (Wine): Nice wine and fruit, but far too much acidic for my taste.
  • Sporadic #1 (Bourbon): Moderate bourbon and acidity. Light cherry and plum skin.
  • Sporadic #2 (Wine): Very Berliner-esque. Moderate lactic acidity with fairly-prominent grain character. Mild wine.
  • Sporadic #2 (Bourbon): Dry with a light acidity and a bit of grain. Slight tannin. Bourbon character very, very minimal. Could use more yeast character.
  • Sporadic #3: A little too acidic for me. Prefer Cuvier, but would take this any day.

Not sure on bottle variation for that particular version of Sporadic, but at least the bottle I had of Sporadic #1 (Wine) was far too acidic. Notes on each:
  • Sporadic #1 (Wine): Nice wine and fruit, but far too much acidic for my taste.
  • Sporadic #1 (Bourbon): Moderate bourbon and acidity. Light cherry and plum skin.
  • Sporadic #2 (Wine): Very Berliner-esque. Moderate lactic acidity with fairly-prominent grain character. Mild wine.
  • Sporadic #2 (Bourbon): Dry with a light acidity and a bit of grain. Slight tannin. Bourbon character very, very minimal. Could use more yeast character.
  • Sporadic #3: A little too acidic for me. Prefer Cuvier, but would take this any day.

Great notes, thanks for posting them. Send all acidity to me, I dig.

It's pretty under the radar. Find the website and Email Chris and he will put you on a wait list. I know he's expanding membership some and some people might not renew, but it doesn't seem like it will be opened to another public sign up since it seems there's a wait list that might be larger than the number of spots being added. But I don't know for sure, ask him. I was on the wait list during the first membership period and got added for the second. The periods are only 3-6 months each instead of a full year (which is nice in some ways) so there is more than one per year, and one just ended.
According to this fairly recent article there are currently 220 members, with about 180 on the waiting list. And it goes on to mention he's hoping to double production now that he's sharing a larger space.

Great notes, thanks for posting them. Send all acidity to me, I dig.
If you're serious, shoot me a message and I can help you out with a lot of these. Maybe the whole set, but I'll have to check.
Lately, I've been having trouble getting through the higher acidic ones so I'd love to send them to a good home.

If you're serious, shoot me a message and I can help you out with a lot of these. Maybe the whole set, but I'll have to check.
Lately, I've been having trouble getting through the higher acidic ones so I'd love to send them to a good home.

Illinois and California uniting in peaceful trade agreements?!?!?! Look out beer trade world!
QiTonBd.gif

Im from Elmwood Park and now live in CA and have a Bears Tattoo. Am I in on this?? ;)

Im from Elmwood Park and now live in CA and have a Bears Tattoo. Am I in on this?? ;)
Sure! Shoot me a PM and let me know if you're looking for any specific ones and I may be able to help out. If I can't now, we can probably work something out after the next release event later this summer or possibly put you in touch with someone who can now?

75d2c3c7fef1f285664cf37ef58a05dd_640x640.jpg

Surprisingly boozy in the finish for the ABV. Oak is front and center, a bit of mild fruit. Slight phenolic spice, more so as it warms. Definitely prefer the standard Bretta and Szech 'n Brett. Have another one of these that I picked up, so will have to see how it ages out.
Need dat glass.

What a beer reg bretta is.

They were selling these glasses on the website about 6 months ago, various colors were available.
IMG_20150207_203802_zpsgow3yzdu.jpg

I am a big fan of Lodsgon. First time I had them was on a trip in Southern California, brought a bunch of bottles home with me, they started distribution here that very same week.

First time I had them was on a trip in Southern California, brought a bunch of bottles home with me, they started distribution here that very same week.
This happens to me on almost every beercation I go on. One time I went to Portland and bought some Reverend Nats, and the next month it hit distro down here. Two months ago I went to Avery and bought Tectum because we’ve never had the sour bottles out here, and several weeks later Tectum hits mass distro here.

Too bad this hasn’t worked yet for degardebrewing

Realizing my image doesn't really show the glass that well. Here is the spec sheet they sent me before I ordered.

Logsdon_Farmhouse-green_3717_zpse3upaec5.jpg

This happens to me on almost every beercation I go on. One time I went to Portland and bought some Reverend Nats, and the next month it hit distro down here. Two months ago I went to Avery and bought Tectum because we’ve never had the sour bottles out here, and several weeks later Tectum hits mass distro here.

Too bad this hasn’t worked yet for degardebrewing

Actually, it is working.
We're working on the licensing for Cali distribution, have talked with a preferred distributor, and would love to be able to share beer with our friends and family down there. Unless the rest of them move to Oregon first.

It won't be much, but it'll be beer!

Actually, it is working.
We're working on the licensing for Cali distribution, have talked with a preferred distributor, and would love to be able to share beer with our friends and family down there. Unless the rest of them move to Oregon first.

It won't be much, but it'll be beer!

Do like Bells did and say **** the rest of the state and just go to San Diego to start off.

So no problems with the growlers or carb?

For what it's worth, when we lived in Virginia and went to Tired Hands fairly often, the growlers were always under-carbonated, but never oxidized, and the fill levels were always to the top. I think a lot of the whole TH growler carbonation discussion stems from the fact that the beers aren't super carbonated on tap either. In particular, the saisons aren't as effervescent as you'd normally expect from the style.

I got irresponsibly drunk on Fantome last night

the new tonka is like a belgian ipa. very different coming from Dany but im pleased to say this is the first time one of his "hoppy" creations was actually enjoyable and did not display a face wrecking bitterness that totally clashed with the rest of the beer's profile

brand new batch of printemps is nice - the herbs are restrained and it had some nice citrus/tartness underneath. with some age and letting the house character emerge will turn this into something really special

brand new batch of tome classic surlie is unreal. its suffering from ete syndrome meaning the carb is very, very low but if it is still working and gets carbed...its gonna be one of those beers you wish you had stockpiled cases of. slight clove/banana clean yeastiness sitting overtop strawberry juice and mild tartness. insert some more carb and tome house character and its a beer to end all

i know logsdon gets a lot of love...but i dont get it.

i had a saison and bretta version right out the gate when they opened (admittedly before i knew anything about the brewery) and i thought both were overcarbonated bottles of mehh. i dont understand the hype of their peche beer that was quite forgettable and their cherry beer was not that great either.

im not writing this to be a dick, i just dont get it. i recently was gifted a bottle of bretta so im hoping it changes my opinion and i finally see the light on this brewery

i had a saison and bretta version right out the gate when they opened (admittedly before i knew anything about the brewery) and i thought both were overcarbonated bottles of mehh. i dont understand the hype of their peche beer that was quite forgettable and their cherry beer was not that great either.

im not writing this to be a dick, i just dont get it. i recently was gifted a bottle of bretta so im hoping it changes my opinion and i finally see the light on this brewery

I was skeptical of the hype when it came to Peche n Brett, but that beer definitely lived up to it for me. Loved that someone made a non-sour fruit beer, with some underlying Brett funk. It was like smelling a fresh peach, there was no sign of the 10% abv, and it finished nice and dry. Ticked all my boxes.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of their stuff either. Peche n' Brett smells so good, but it just doesn't deliver on the taste the way I want it to. I know not every saison needs to be tart, but I'm definitely going to gravitate more towards that.

Latest posts

Back