The ORIGINAL Black IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teromous said:
I think that we forget that America is huge, and encompasses two continents!

Anything called American is in reference to the USA and nowhere else. People from Canada, or Brazil, or any other country in North or South America don't claim to be American. I don't think that is an issue.

Teromous said:
I like ABA, but I think that we forget that America is huge, and encompasses two continents! We should at the very least isolate the name to North America. Also, the term Black Ale, while concise, does not accurately describe the beer. It is black, but I feel that in the spirit of history and naming conventions, we should call it Mighty Black Ale. I think N.A.M.BL.A or NAMBLA rolls off the tongue nicely.

I don't that is gonna work, take a look at this!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

Are you serious?

nambla.jpg

How can a Pale Ale, be dark? The entire story is an oxymoron, it does not make sense. They really ought to find something else to call hoppy dark beer.

Considering the Brewer's Association has named a style for it already - American Style Black Ale - the odds are high that the BJCP will use the same name eventually.

Personally I never cared until I started to realize that a region of the country was going to try to lobby to make it their own. It struck me as highly pretentious, on par with the hipsters in Brooklyn attempting to re-name neighborhoods that have existed for years. Come to think of it, many hipsters come from the PNW... hmm... ;)

This is a good name. It's simple, descriptive and it doesn't bring in all of the misleading historical implications. Let's face it, c-hopped dark ales AREN'T PALE, and have exactly zero connection with any beer anybody did, or didn't export to India in the 1700s. I'm okay with CDA, I'm fine with ASBA - just not the nonsensical, confusing, faux-historical, misleading, category lumping, d.a. term Black IPA.

I like American Style Black Ale, never cared for BIPA, CDA, or IDA, none of those 3 make sense. I have had several good examples of the style, and like the ones with a slight roast flavor. The ones with caraf are pointless to me, if I can close my eyes and not tell it is an ASBA or IPA then why bother, the color is much less important than the taste.

This is the real point as far as I'm concerned - IPAs don't have roasted grains. If you use food-coloring to darken it, that would be, first a waste of time and dye, but then, yes, a BIPA. If you actually use roasted malts, how in the bleep is it an IPA? It'd be more accurate to call it a hoppy brown or a hoppy porter, or something like that. I think that taste, aroma and body are primary beer characteristics - color is whatever you get when you tune those to your preference. Would 7-up be Coke if you added caramel coloring?

I, too, like the India Black Ale name and use that for my beers. I believe the "Pale" in IPA refered to the malt, not the color of the beer.

Kind of begs the question - how do your IBAs get B? Some dark MALT maybe? If so, it's not an IPA, by your own standard - why stretch to force the word India in there? I mean, you can call your beer whatever you want - it is your beer - but please explain why any hoppy beer has to refer to India.

but please explain why any hoppy beer has to refer to India.

maybe because India is a hoppy place, full of hoppy people?! :ban::ban:

no, really, CDAs are great, or ABA, whatever.... it's a great style of beer. i prefer the name Cascadian Dark (no offense, VTers, the hops are Cascadian, the styles about the hops, and the name has a nice ring to it), American Black Ale is fine too, until it starts being called ABA. i'm with Homercidal on that one. :mug: whatever you wanna call it, it's great beer! i brew a lot of them, there's a recipe in my pulldown for those poster who were wondering about this beer.

Just think, some self important science geek is out there RIGHT NOW wasting his day trying to cure cancer. Hey, Poindexter, we got real bidness to settle here! Put down that vial and get serious.

This is a good name. It's simple, descriptive and it doesn't bring in all of the misleading historical implications. Let's face it, c-hopped dark ales AREN'T PALE, and have exactly zero connection with any beer anybody did, or didn't export to India in the 1700s. I'm okay with CDA, I'm fine with ASBA - just not the nonsensical, confusing, faux-historical, misleading, category lumping, d.a. term Black IPA.

Meh, most of the common IPA story is misleading and not historically accurate either. I don't mind Black IPA, it perfectly describes what to expect to me.

Hell, there were ales referred to as "Black Pale Ale" which existed in the UK in the 19th century...

BrewMU said:
Just think, some self important science geek is out there RIGHT NOW wasting his day trying to cure cancer. Hey, Poindexter, we got real bidness to settle here! Put down that vial and get serious.

At last, someone sees the true importance of this discussion!

This is the real point as far as I'm concerned - IPAs don't have roasted grains. If you use food-coloring to darken it, that would be, first a waste of time and dye, but then, yes, a BIPA. If you actually use roasted malts, how in the bleep is it an IPA? It'd be more accurate to call it a hoppy brown or a hoppy porter, or something like that. I think that taste, aroma and body are primary beer characteristics - color is whatever you get when you tune those to your preference. Would 7-up be Coke if you added caramel coloring?

Okay folks. This is really simple. Most people call it a Black IPA because the idea is to take a standard American IPA recipe and add enough roasted grains to make it black without being extremely roasty. That's it. Take an IPA, make it black = BLACK IPA!!

I'm no lover or advocate of this style, but in my mind, they are different from American Brown Ale, American Porters, and American Stouts.

A lot of IPAs aren't really pale, anyway. A lot of them lean more toward a heavy amber these days, if not flat out red. I don't hear anyone screaming about still referring to those as India Pale Ales.

Despite what the BJCP says, the commercial market will dictate what they are commonly called. The market seems to be going with Black IPA!

I dont care what you call it but I'd like a recipe (beersmith file would be awesome) if anyone has a good one! I bought the wrong grains for an oatmeal stout and figured I'd make one of these watcha call'ems....Thanks

2BeerSpeer said:
I dont care what you call it but I'd like a recipe (beersmith file would be awesome) if anyone has a good one! I bought the wrong grains for an oatmeal stout and figured I'd make one of these watcha call'ems....Thanks

Search for the None More Black IPA recipe, it has an amazing malt back bone to add whatever hops you like to it. If you just look at it there is a very nice black color but held up to the light deep highlights of auburn red show through. I should mention I use briess midnight wheat instead of carafa when I made it though.

despite what the bjcp says, the commercial market will dictate what they are commonly called. The market seems to be going with black ipa!

:confused:
HITDRsz-107x300 copy.jpg
this^ is one of the better examples of this style. it's called a CDA.

Summit simply calls there's Black Ale, Stone's doesn't have a style, just Sublimely Self Righteous. Lakefront calls there's an IBA (India Black Ale), so does Dogfish, but the 'B' in there's is for brown. Boulder Beer Co. calls their's an IBA too, but it's Indian Brown Ale. Widmer's and 21st Amendment do call their's Black IPA, but i'd say the jury's still out on what commercial breweries call their's. it seems more commercial breweries are not using the term Black IPA.

View attachment 47311
Not one of the better ones I've had :p

Stone's doesn't have a style, just Sublimely Self Righteous.
Hmmm Stone's Greg Koch calls it Black IPA... you can find some debate videos out there of him vs people calling it CDA. They also called their 11th and 15th anniversary beers Black IPA's.

it seems more commercial breweries are not using the term Black IPA.
I'm not sure you can really say that based on a list of a handful of beers, a couple that are brown ales... (not to say you're wrong though...)

Hmmm Stone's Greg Koch calls it Black IPA... you can find some debate videos out there of him vs people calling it CDA. They also called their 11th and 15th anniversary beers Black IPA's.

I'm not sure you can really say that based on a handful of beers, a couple that are brown ales...

In an effort to support my point, I'm going to argue on the internet!! :rolleyes:

Spastik is correct. The Stone 15th Anniversary was an Imperial Black IPA. The 11th Anniversary was also a Black IPA and is what the Sublimely Self Righteous is now. Other's that I've seen or tasted that call themselves Black IPA:

Heavy Seas Black IPA
Uinta Dubhe
Harpoon Black IPA
Widmer Pitch Black IPA
21 Back in Black IPA
Terrapin Capt Krunkles Black IPA
Sweetwater Goulash Double Black IPA
Rogue Dad's Little Helper Black IPA
Sprecher Black IPA
Black Raven IPA

I can honestly say I've never seen a CDA. A quick search on BeerAdvocate shows there ten times more Black IPAs than CDAs.

Okay folks. This is really simple. Most people call it a Black IPA because the idea is to take a standard American IPA recipe and add enough roasted grains to make it black without being extremely roasty. That's it. Take an IPA, make it black = BLACK IPA!!

I'm no lover or advocate of this style, but in my mind, they are different from American Brown Ale, American Porters, and American Stouts.

A lot of IPAs aren't really pale, anyway. A lot of them lean more toward a heavy amber these days, if not flat out red. I don't hear anyone screaming about still referring to those as India Pale Ales.

Despite what the BJCP says, the commercial market will dictate what they are commonly called. The market seems to be going with Black IPA!
IPAs don't feature roasted grains, appropriate sentence ending punctuation.

I happened to be walking through the Wal-Mart beer section and low and behold 3 different breweries have American Black Ales for the Spring Seasonal. Pyramid, Alaskan, and one other I have now forgotten. Anyways, I was amazed to see this and also can confirm each brewery called their beer a Black or Dark IPA so dispite the Brewers Association it does look like the Industry has adopted Black IPA. Really the only brewery I have ever seen use CDA is Hopworks and Deschuetes.

Side Note:
I am really happy, this is the first time I have purchased a commercial version of a beer I have made and liked mine better :rockin:

Not one of the better ones I've had :p

hmmmm, i happen to think its a great beer.

obviously it's a black ipa/cda/aba/wtf, it was more a point that not all examples are called black ipa. but thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure you can really say that based on a list of a handful of beers, a couple that are brown ales... (not to say you're wrong though...)

so being lazy and not having a bigger list invalidates the point?
and really, things like Yakima Glory/Twilight, DFH IBA and all those are regularly brought up in the india style dark ale discussion.... i think i can say what what i want about the style, right or wrong, i'm quite familiar with it and understand the guidelines pretty well.

In an effort to support my point, I'm going to argue on the internet!! :roll eyes:
:roll eyes:
I can honestly say I've never seen a CDA.

yeah, i guess it's not one of the better known names. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

View attachment 47311

so being lazy and not having a bigger list invalidates the point?
More or less... using a list of a handful of beers arbitrarily listed to make the point that "it seems more commercial breweries are not using the term Black IPA" isn't really all that persuasive because it's not based off anything substantial. I can just as easily throw out a bunch of names and the list can have more Black IPA's than not and say the same exact thing.

and really, things like Yakima Glory/Twilight, DFH IBA and all those are regularly brought up in the india style dark ale discussion....
I never said anything about Yakima Glory... but it's natural for the latter to be brought up in the discussion, sure, as the style overlaps and is similar to others... but DFH IBA is still categorized as a brown ale.

i think i can say what what i want about the style, right or wrong, i'm quite familiar with it and understand the guidelines pretty well.
That's nice.

When i think of black ipa, i think just that IPA thats black, when I open a bottle with a CDA label I think porter hopped like an American IPA

Who gives a fat rat's ass??? Its beer, its black, and it is pretty hoppy. I think Hoppy Black Beer works well... We get waaaayyyy to caught up in names and labels!

it seems more commercial breweries are not using the term Black IPA.

A handful of brewers are now doing these here in Japan. Nearly everyone is calling them Black IPAs. I think one brewer simply called his a "black ale." I'm not sure "American" or "Cascadian" belong in the name. If so, what we call the several international (read: non-American brewed) examples of the style where NZ hops and European malts are being used. What does one call Grassroots/Stillwater/Mikkeller's Gypsy Juice which certainly leans in the Black IPA direction but uses a saison yeast and tosses in some Brett B for good measure?

More or less... using a list of a handful of beers arbitrarily listed to make the point that "it seems more commercial breweries are not using the term Black IPA" isn't really all that persuasive because it's not based off anything substantial. I can just as easily throw out a bunch of names and the list can have more Black IPA's than not and say the same exact thing.

not being able to convince you saddens me. i'd try again, but i'm sure i'd leave something out, giving you more to nitpick. :cross:

I never said anything about Yakima Glory....

you didn't, but i did. and it's regularly brought up in the whole discussion as one of these beers. the brewers at Victory consider it a dark IPA. sorry i'm still too groggy this morning to link the web video with them for you as proof of that. i'll just have to live with that.

That's nice.

thanks, i thought so. i'm probably wrong though, it's obviously a style i know very little about.

I'm not sure "American" or "Cascadian" belong in the name.

right, and a Munich Dunkel or Scottish Ale should be called something else because brewers in the US make them all the time. :rolleyes:

What does one call Grassroots/Stillwater/Mikkeller's Gypsy Juice which certainly leans in the Black IPA direction but uses a saison yeast and tosses in some Brett B for good measure?

This is a good example of why there's so much "controversy" over this beer. Typically, beers that fall out of a style are pretty much "one-offs" and not only does the brewer not care about a style, but the consumers don't either. With the black IPA, it has been around for a while now, is gaining in popularity with professional brewers, home brewers and the craft market, so therefore, people are clamoring for it to get its own style definition.

Mikeller is not looking to create styles when he brews one of his beers. Same thing with places like New Belgium and Dogfish Head.

not being able to convince you saddens me. i'd try again, but i'm sure i'd leave something out, giving you more to nitpick. :cross:
It's not even about being nitpicky though. If you're going to make a blanket statement like that, you need facts, not conjecture, for it to hold any weight.

you didn't, but i did. and it's regularly brought up in the whole discussion as one of these beers. the brewers at Victory consider it a dark IPA. sorry i'm still too groggy this morning to link the web video with them for you as proof of that. i'll just have to live with that.
But you hadn't previously, nor had I said anything about it, so it came off as a strawman as you're making it sound like I wouldn't agree with it being brought up in a discussion of Black IPA/CDA/ISDA/etc. or something. I never said they didn't or shouldn't come up in discussion, or that people don't label their beers something other than Black IPA when they fit the general guidelines of the so called style (such as Victory), so I'm really struggling to see your point.

thanks, i thought so. i'm probably wrong though, it's obviously a style i know very little about.
Obviously.

I call them delicious. seriously, though, American Black Ale makes sense. I tend to call mine a hopped-up porter. Overall, it doesn't matter as long as you know what to expect from the beer in the bottle.

I'm not a fan of shoehorning beers into styles, anyway, styles have 2 purposes in my mind:

1. To make marketing easier. Brewers have to have an easy way to communicate what is in the bottle, and styles help to do that.

2. To make judging easier. Shoehorning beers into styles and forcing them to fit guidelines makes judging seem less subjective. The jury is still out on whether it actually does that, but it makes it SEEM less subjective.

Ok. My two cents.

2. To make judging easier. Shoehorning beers into styles and forcing them to fit guidelines makes judging seem less subjective. The jury is still out on whether it actually does that, but it makes it SEEM less subjective.

Ok. My two cents.

I agree with the second of your two cents with all my heart and soul ;)

Back