The obsession begins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brew17

Reaction score
Like many others, I received a brew kit for Christmas. After deciding on what to brew, I went with the Blueberry Chocolate Stout for AHS. As far as I can tell, everything went off without a hitch...gravity was a little low and I may have spilled some wort on my friend's forearm, but other than that, it was good enough to start a second batch with my friend's kit that he received for Christmas!

Mainly, I want to mention how great the customer service at Austin Homebrew Supply is. Before brewing, I had a question with the recipe and sent off an email to them. Hoping to get an answer before I started, I was pleasantly surprised about twenty minutes later when I received an answer to my question!

:tank:

AHBS is for lack of a better term the ****. I love that place. 90% of my equip. and recipe stuffs come from there. Super fast shipping and great prices! They ROCK!

I guess you'll have to give your friend some beer to help his arm feel better, huh?:)

Its a fun hobby. Best of luck with seeing how your stout turns out!

Welcome to the hobby. I'm a new brewer myself (8 months) and very addicted. Did you read any books or just jump into it?

Speaking of AHS, I was about to put in an order there for a kit to brew next weekend. I haven't ordered from there before, but I've heard good things. Should I believe the 2-4 business days to ship for flat-rate shipping (plus 3 days via UPS) and fork over $8 more to get it expedited? I'm sure it depends on how busy they are and its only 8 bucks extra so its probably worth it.

Welcome to the hobby. I'm a new brewer myself (8 months) and very addicted. Did you read any books or just jump into it?

Speaking of AHS, I was about to put in an order there for a kit to brew next weekend. I haven't ordered from there before, but I've heard good things. Should I believe the 2-4 business days to ship for flat-rate shipping (plus 3 days via UPS) and fork over $8 more to get it expedited? I'm sure it depends on how busy they are and its only 8 bucks extra so its probably worth it.

I dont want to jinx your order but I live in New Jersey and it never takes more than like 3 days ...4 MAX for any orders to ship from them and be at my door. I would just stick to the 7$ shipping.

Welcome! It only gets better...Wait till you try to wait three weeks for your beer to bottle condition..it is torture. I did not make it. I had to try one after week one, then two after week two, then week three…well they only get better!

Welcome to the hobby. I'm a new brewer myself (8 months) and very addicted. Did you read any books or just jump into it?/QUOTE]

I bought The Complete Joy of Homebrewing over the summer and have been trolling around for almost as long. I've also helped some of my friends brew as well. Also just picked up How to Brew and have a long flight ahead of me, so I should be able to get some reading in there.

Welcome! It only gets better...Wait till you try to wait three weeks for your beer to bottle condition..it is torture. I did not make it. I had to try one after week one, then two after week two, then week three…well they only get better!

I've actually had a couple of Ambers from my friend's batch conditioning in my kitchen for the past two weeks...it has taken a lot not to pop one open, but I believe he may be trying one of his tonight to check the carbonation!

I know what you mean. I'm new and I only bottled my oatmeal stout about a week and a half ago and I've already drank 5 of them :XXX

Back