The Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jumping back on my high horse and saying that breweries are businesses first and should price their products to achieve maximum profitability.

IMO, Chad, Robert, and the ground level investors at crooked stave should do everything they can to squeeze a dollar out of us.

I disagree with these two statements. I'm not saying that CS or any brewery shouldn't attempt to make good money off of their products. But I think attempting to "squeeze" money out of its customers is not necessarily in the long-term interests of a brewery, as it has potential to turn customers away.

I also have to say, I'm a big fan of the CS beers, but with the exception of the L'Brett Plum, I haven't had one that I would pay a full $15 for on a regular basis.

I disagree with these two statements. I'm not saying that CS or any brewery shouldn't attempt to make good money off of their products. But I think attempting to "squeeze" money out of its customers is not necessarily in the long-term interests of a brewery, as it has potential to turn customers away.

Squeeze may have been the wrong term. Price increases are absolutely going to turn customers away. That's evidenced in this thread. But my point is that even with this increase membership will be full. If they do it again next year, maybe it won't fill and then they've set their equilibrium at around $375 and $12.50 a bottle for the time being. But they shouldn't leave at least $50,000 on the table just to keep everyone happy.

I also have to say, I'm a big fan of the CS beers, but with the exception of the L'Brett Plum, I haven't had one that I would pay a full $15 for on a regular basis.

And this is perfect evidence of the wide variation in taste preferences and price decisions. L'brett D'plum was my least favorite of the whole year, but I'd happily pay $13 for every other bottle that was released this year.

Then just say that the price increase is because we think you'll pay it instead of "my costs went up because people weren't picking up their beers so we have to pass that along".

Since they raised the price of the sours from $10 to $12 a bottle the price also went up for a pour in the tap room from $8 to $10. Curious what is the price going to be for a pour in the taproom now?
Probably higher. But I bet I still run into you there every time I'm down. ;)

And this is perfect evidence of the wide variation in taste preferences and price decisions. L'brett D'plum was my least favorite of the whole year, but I'd happily pay $13 for every other bottle that was released this year.

I actually think my favorite part of being in the CR has been my ability to order Vielle and St. Bretta at a discount. I love those beers. I prefer them over most of the CR beers.

The only piece of advice I'd give to the CS guys would've been to just start charging tax last year instead of rolling it into the retail price. No one would have complained and the increase in membership cost this year wouldn't have been exacerbated by the additional tax. I even sent them an email last fall when I bought my membership asking why they weren't charging tax. Rolling sales tax into the price of your product is not smart.

Probably higher. But I bet I still run into you there every time I'm down. ;)
Only been to the new place a couple times. Haven't seen any of the familiar faces I saw every time I was at the old place. Doesn't have the same vibe to me. Not saying I'm not going to be there but probably not as often. And less if the price of a pour goes up much.

My problem(wife is bringing this up) is that they have put themselves in the same price range as pretty nice bottles of wine that have twice the abv. I can get a nice case of wine for $380 especially if I prepay for it, then I have more ozs at more abv. And paying 12.75 plus tax puts the extra bottles at damn near $14. Ain't too many, if any, 7% beers I'll pay that for on a regular basis. If you want to get chapped pull up your receipts for l'brett d'or from last year and see what you paid then look at what you'll pay this year.

The tap room used to be a cheap place to go drink, that's over. Wife and I went during GABF and had over a $100 tab and didn't leave with any bottles, never done that before.

I'm a check it or respect it kind of guy. I renewed so I didn't check it so this will be my last post bitching about it hopefully.

The only piece of advice I'd give to the CS guys would've been to just start charging tax last year instead of rolling it into the retail price. No one would have complained and the increase in membership cost this year wouldn't have been exacerbated by the additional tax. I even sent them an email last fall when I bought my membership asking why they weren't charging tax. Rolling sales tax into the price of your product is not smart.

So you're the reason we are paying tax. Did you also tell em how much you enjoyed the tin tacker?

My problem(wife is bringing this up) is that they have put themselves in the same price range as pretty nice bottles of wine that have twice the abv. I can get a nice case of wine for $380 especially if I prepay for it, then I have more ozs at more abv.

But the problem with that is then you have to drink ****ing WINE. God damn, that'd suck. I'd rather drink Mickey's or Popov.

Only been to the new place a couple times. Haven't seen any of the familiar faces I saw every time I was at the old place. Doesn't have the same vibe to me. Not saying I'm not going to be there but probably not as often. And less if the price of a pour goes up much.
I can agree here. I think all of us who've been hitting the barrel cellar over the past 15 months are going to miss it. We knew what Chad was throwing down long before WWB's went nuclear and we reaped the benefits. I'm going to miss going there on a Friday at 1pm and being the only one there to ******** with Nick, Ben, or Danny. I'll miss the cheap prices too.

But time marches on. ****, I remember when Chad had long hair and only had three taps at Funkwerks. That seems like sooooo long ago.

But time marches on. ****, I remember when Chad had long hair and only had three taps at Funkwerks. That seems like sooooo long ago.

"I met Chad when he had long hair" is the most awesomely hipster comment that one can make. And for the record, "I met Chad when had long hair and came to Colorado Springs. Ever since he cut his hair, he has totally gone corporate"

mtb+crooked+stave+22.jpg

edit: Just in case Chad or anyone else from CS is reading, I don't actually think you have gone corporate, I think you make great beer and I wish you all success in ventures.

Last edited:
Finally got around to renewing my membership. So excited for another year of it, and even more thankful I got in this year! Please excuse me while I go do a happy dance.

Finally got around to renewing my membership. So excited for another year of it, and even more thankful I got in this year! Please excuse me while I go do a happy dance.
The lottery email got me worried so I renewed a couple days earlier than I'd initally planned. I think we'll be happy with our decision here. I'm also hoping that one of the TBDs is a coolship made beer.

Woooohooo!

Wife just told me she has two plane tickets to Denver and will be landing around 10:30AM. Looking forward to checking out the Crooked Stave space and drinking some good beers.Hopefully I'll meet a few of you folks at the party!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone knows. I suspect that's why they are waiting until after the current membership renewal period ends before they draw the names from the lottery
What email did I miss, because I don't know **** about this lottery y'all are talking about?

Lottery is for people that were not members in 2013 that want to become members in 2014
Ahh. Okay. Thanks.

See ya at the party tomorrow? You created the label for my wedding beer. Would be cool to meet ya and say thanks!

Ahh. Okay. Thanks.

See ya at the party tomorrow? You created the label for my wedding beer. Would be cool to meet ya and say thanks!

Yeah, meeting a friend for brunch in Denver but not too sure when I will be at the party, probably closer to noon-ish. I will wear a red cape cod oysters shirt (can't wear my beer shirts to a beer event right FishPondManager)

Yeah, meeting a friend for brunch in Denver but not too sure when I will be at the party, probably closer to noon-ish. I will wear a red cape cod oysters shirt (can't wear my beer shirts to a beer event right FishPondManager)
You're safe tomorrow. Feel free to rock the Churchills shirt. I decided to come down to College Station for the football game.

Signed up for the lottery. B if anyone is looking to split the cost of a membership, who currently has a FY14 one or might win one, hit me up! Just covering my bases.

Last edited:
So I'm bring a bottle of Gratitude tomorrow but feel like I'm slouching. ****. What's the bottle share like at one of these things?

So I'm bring a bottle of Gratitude tomorrow but feel like I'm slouching. ****. What's the bottle share like at one of these things?
Usually pretty nice. At the WWBV I remember JoshClaus brought a cooler full of HF growlers, ForgetFu brought a 3L bottle of RR. Growler of Jack Czar was passed around. Had tons of great beers.

You're coming in from out of town, don't worry about it. There will be plenty of beers to go around. I've already put 8 bottles in the fridge for tomorrow. Pretty sure I'll add a few more to what I bring before I leave.

Back