Introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explorermatt

Reaction score
Hi All, It's always fun to find other homebrewers. I've been making meads since 2019. During that time I've made 15 5gallon batches. Mostly melomels because I like those fruit flavors, tart cherry, mango, blueberry, peach, starfruit are some of the flavors I've tried. The only one I wasn't thrilled with was peach. It turned out way to sweet. The adventure continues.
I found this group when I Googled " how much Juniper Extract do I add per gallon to make Gin flavored mead?" You had a thread discussing that subject. I started what I was hoping to be a gin flavored mead mid-November. There's a juniper tree in my back yard the produces huge amounts of berries. One cup of fresh, crushed juniper berries per gallon in primary. When I racked it to secondary last week I sampled a small glass (of course). It's a nice tasting mead with just the tiniest (repeat tiniest) hint of juniper flavor. Not really the gin flavor I was looking for. This morning I received a bottle of juniper extract, thanks Amazon, with no clue of how much per gallon for a 5 gallon batch. Thank you for your discussion. I'm going to start with an ounce give it a swirl and let it sit for a couple of days then sample it. Then possibly repeat the process until it reaches the flavor I'm looking for. Then let it age in secondary. Ill' let you know. Cheers

I found this group when I Googled " how much Juniper Extract do I add per gallon to make Gin flavored mead?" You had a thread discussing that subject.
of course you found it here. HBT is a cornucopia of all the magical fruit.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. It's all here, cleverly hidden in a lot of other stuff. Good luck with your mead adventure.

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome to the group. So an update on my Juniper (gin flavored) Mead. I bought an 8 oz bottle of juniper berry extract ($20 Amazon) and added 1oz to my 5 gallon batch. Gave it a good swirl and let it sit for 3 days. Then using my wine thief I took a half of a glass for sampling. The results: it smells woodsy ( piney ) with honey notes. The taste it great, a touch of honey and a little bit of pine (?) With a light gin like after taste. Of course it's only three weeks in secondary so it's got those young mead flavors, alcohol bite juniper and honey (not blended) but that gin after taste is there. So now aging in secondary. When I get ready to bottle I may experiment and add a few drops of juniper berry extract to some bottles for more gin flavor. Time will tell. Cheers

Back