The cost of our hobby, dang dawg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed you look at the price of a Blichmann (Blingmann) brew pot and wig out at the 350+ $'s but have no problem at all dropping 400 bucks on pumps, SS fittings, 3 pc Ball valves, quick disconnects, and tubing? Happened to me yesterday, was looking at a Blingmann and thinking WOW that looks sweet!, hell no I ain't spending 350 bucks on a kettle. 15 mins later, realized I just spent 400 on "other stuff". I'm a dork!

Yeah, I've found more often than not, I should have ponied up the big money originally as opposed to constant little upgrades.

:eek:

Yes.

The pursuit of 'saving money' and 'diy' turns into a whole mess of odd components that cost a kings ransom.

Shhhhh - you're ruining it!!!!

Honestly though, I recently acquired a pair of decomissioned kegs for free. I figured, "great, free HLT and Brew Kettle!!!" Well, my free Brew Kettle only needed about $75 in fittings, HLT about $90, and then I realized I just had to get a bunch of camlocks to attach everything together. My "free" HLT and Brew Kettle wound up costing me almost $300.

Ouch.

Yeah, I've found more often than not, I should have ponied up the big money originally as opposed to constant little upgrades.

+10

I laughed at a cousin of mine that has recently taken an interest in home brewing to "save" money. If I was to actually disclose what I've spent.... geez

I built my own bottle tree, because I didn't want to spend the money on the one at the LHBS. Even counting my labor as free, I'm sure I spent more on the materials to my home-made one than the price of the commercial one, and the commercial one would have worked better.

landshark said:
People ask how much it cost to make a case. Oh that's a hard question. And one I always fudge the number on... :D

I just tell them the cost of the grains and yeast. Keeps its simple and doesn't get me in trouble with swmbo for what I've really "invested". ;)

Initially, I was thinking about the savings also. Between the equipment and the "research" of constantly buying fine craft brews to sample, this hobby has become more expensive than I ever would've imagined.

Have you ever noticed you look at the price of a Blichmann (Blingmann) brew pot and wig out at the 350+ $'s but have no problem at all dropping 400 bucks on pumps, SS fittings, 3 pc Ball valves, quick disconnects, and tubing? Happened to me yesterday, was looking at a Blingmann and thinking WOW that looks sweet!, hell no I ain't spending 350 bucks on a kettle. 15 mins later, realized I just spent 400 on "other stuff". I'm a dork!

The very best way to deal with the cost of this hobby is,

to not keep track.

There are no savings! Just like a fisherman who buys a boat, the fish end up costing $647.00 a pound!

We do it for the pursuit of the perfect beer!

rustym said:
There are no savings! Just like a fisherman who buys a boat, the fish end up costing $647.00 a pound!

We do it for the pursuit of the perfect beer!

Disagree with that statement.

For me a hobby is something I can spend time perfecting that has nothing to do with my professional life. A way to decompress and blow off some stress. The fact I get to drink the results is just a bonus. It is more about the journey than the money spent, for me anyway.

I've diy'ed a few things to save money too, only to find that in the end I should have just bought it and had a professionally made piece of equipment for less, never mind my time. My immersion chiller falls into that category.

But yea, lots of equipment. Next up, kegging! Another money pit.

Shopping for stainless prep tables and a stainless sink. Cha ching

Yeah, my big complaint with this is I should have saved money and gone big at first instead of all these little baby steps on things that I will use for a few months and then never again. I have two kettles that I wish I didn't buy, a party pig that seemed like a good idea but I eventually got the keg setup, and countless thermometers when I should have just bought a thermapen.

All these small things add up to the big thing I should have bought in the first place! *slaps self*

tknice said:
Yeah, my big complaint with this is I should have saved money and gone big at first instead of all these little baby steps on things that I will use for a few months and then never again. I have two kettles that I wish I didn't buy, a party pig that seemed like a good idea but I eventually got the keg setup, and countless thermometers when I should have just bought a thermapen.

All these small things add up to the big thing I should have bought in the first place! *slaps self*

Sell it to someone who wants to start brewing and toss in a free lesson.

I don't see it that way at all. If I had gone all in I would've missed out on all the fun learning and making mistakes and stuff. It's all about the journey for me. :)

hmm starting with BIAB and 6 gallon kettle... making IC
upgrading to bucket mashtun and 12 gallon kettle....making new IC
two 15gallon mashtuns 30 gallon kettle...making CFC
30gal mashtun kettle and hlt
upgrading all to stainless...new CFC again, and a pump

I bet i have payed my current setup atleast four times. All this in just over a year
Am i finished? nope but im getting there

kapbrew13 said:
Sell it to someone who wants to start brewing and toss in a free lesson.

Come to think of it, I do give stuff to friends a lot. One of my 9 gallon pots went to a bud.

Great point.

TomSD said:
I don't see it that way at all. If I had gone all in I would've missed out on all the fun learning and making mistakes and stuff. It's all about the journey for me. :)

I'm sure your right Tom.. This is how I should look at it. The wallet hurts though, and I have to save for everything.

I couldn't agree more, its been great going through all the steps, all the DIY's. The only thing i was saying was i find it funny i look at a pricey piece of equipment and think oh hell no. But think nothing of dropping 100's on other gadgets that quickly surpasses the bling.

Bought a keg and then i didn't have enough room in my fridge for my bottled beer, so I bought a chest freezer and a temperature controller. now i need a bigger brew pot. Somebody at work asked me how much money I save by brewing my own beer! The way my brother-in-law goes through my beer he must think I make it for free!

The key is to just be happy with your gear and work on your recipes - you can make some of the best beer with a single pot BIAB & plastic fermenter & bottle.

Just like golf - a new $500 driver will only shave 1-2 strokes off your game. A blickman kettle can only take you so far.

I've been brewing on and off for 10 years - just rebuilt my gear and going super simple - 3 gallon BIAB setup & cooler mashtun for no sparge brewing 5 gallon - I plan on spending more time on my recipes than building new gear

Interesting thread. Someone once said that there will never be a beer that taste as good as the one you make. I think we are all in pursuit of that one special brew that when we taste it, we stare at the ceiling for two days. Reminds me of the joke about the guy who walks into a bar and says "I'll have the same as the guy on the floor."

How1 You need this.

ForumRunner_20120315_212424.jpg

it really is about the journey. i've pieced together everything (including my pride over a few equipment mistakes), but i've learned a lot about a lot of things getting to where i am. still those full-electric setups look sweet... :D

Malric said:
Shopping for stainless prep tables and a stainless sink. Cha ching

Costco has a smaller stainless prep table for a really reasonable price! I think it's like 6' by 3' or something like that. Might be worth checking out. I eyeballed it last time I went in there.

actually it is called "accessorizing" women learned how to do this long ago.

She might brag about the 20.00 dress she bought and how much she saved, but when you add the shoes, handbag, bra, hat, makeup, pantyhose, perfume, ..... you get the idea.

I had a buddy ask me to break down my rig item by item w/ costs so he could build something. Of course I did it for him then proceeded to get really pissed off at him. It made me actually see how much I'd spent on that damned thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything but ignorance is bliss.

.......or, in my case, realize that once I departed from strict K.I.S.S. principles, my equipment expense would go from my current $500 or so worth of equipment to exponential lengths. So- still brewing in the cheap pot, on the cheap turkey fryer, cheap orange cooler MLT, in the cheap white buckets. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Makes some good beer, though.

Back