The Berliner Weisse - (All things related discussion/lookout/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned today that leinenkugel has unleashed a berliner to the masses...

Not gonna lie, I want to try it but I dont think ive purchased anything from that brewery in probably 13 years.
Local place is making one with lactic acid and blackberry flavoring / color. I already disliked the brewery, but that really pushes me over the edge.

I learned today that leinenkugel has unleashed a berliner to the masses...

Not gonna lie, I want to try it but I dont think ive purchased anything from that brewery in probably 13 years.

wha?? haven't seen it yet. don't usually look over the Leinie's lineup... though i will be drinking the **** out of the Oktoberfest.

0CB84E3F-B834-4613-84A9-2BE598CF5594.jpg

I knew/heard nothing of this beer until I saw sitting in a cooler a couple weeks ago. Color me impressed. I cannot believe it but not only is it a solid interpretation of a berliner by a PA brewery with mass distro footprint, but you can actually smell the elderflower in it very distinctly.

Id love to have a case of this to pound on the beach next week.

Huh, good to know. I saw that in a shop the other day but have been disappointed by Victory's berliners before so didn't buy it.

Huh, good to know. I saw that in a shop the other day but have been disappointed by Victory's berliners before so didn't buy it.

I agree. Were they not the ones who did the ala spina berliner or whatever its called and they used like a hefeweizen base to then try and berliner-ize? That one was pretty shitty. Maybe thats why I enjoyed this one so much? I was expecting meh and got a woah.

Just purchased a case of it for $45.

I agree. Were they not the ones who did the ala spina berliner or whatever its called and they used like a hefeweizen base to then try and berliner-ize? That one was pretty shitty. Maybe thats why I enjoyed this one so much? I was expecting meh and got a woah.

Just purchased a case of it for $45.
Oh man that's exactly the berliner I was thinking about! funny.

8716F309-4FCF-42C9-B4B8-E203FAD3BAB5.jpg

Its not the best fruited berliner but its pretty solid. A natural blueberry character that is mildly grassy and pleasantly tart. Its the kind of berliner that you could crush can after can of while getting **** done outside. The more I drink it, the more it reminds me of my homebrew berliner swill. Tart, seemingly under-ripe fruit addition and slightly showing a carbonic bite. It is good, it just seems a little too linear and is missing something to give it that pop/wow factor.

0CB84E3F-B834-4613-84A9-2BE598CF5594.jpg

I knew/heard nothing of this beer until I saw sitting in a cooler a couple weeks ago. Color me impressed. I cannot believe it but not only is it a solid interpretation of a berliner by a PA brewery with mass distro footprint, but you can actually smell the elderflower in it very distinctly.

Id love to have a case of this to pound on the beach next week.
Thanks for the tip. Picked up a 6er today and I'll be going back for some more. Currently enjoying one after mowing the lawn.

So.... Freigeist, the makers of Abraxxxas lichtenhainer and the fruited variations of it have released a bottled berliner with strawberries as well as 2 fruited iterations of their gose: quince and rhubarb.

Iso opinions of that strawberry berliner if anyone sees it around! "Berliner Scheisse" is the name and it looks like its in a 330ml bottle instead of the 500mls im use to seeing their beer packaged in.

So.... Freigeist, the makers of Abraxxxas lichtenhainer and the fruited variations of it have released a bottled berliner with strawberries as well as 2 fruited iterations of their gose: quince and rhubarb.

Iso opinions of that strawberry berliner if anyone sees it around! "Berliner Scheisse" is the name and it looks like its in a 330ml bottle instead of the 500mls im use to seeing their beer packaged in.
Sweet goodness, they also bottled a peach and spelt version of the berliner.

Some recent berliner-ish bangs.

Jackie O's cellar cuvee 9
Not a berliner but a blend comprised at least in part berliner which in its summation tastes very berliner-like. Tropical fruitiness/vinous/lemony lactic and a little woody but crushable by the gallon.

Degarde Imp stone bu
Jesus mighty this wrecked my face. Beautiful peachy apricot notes both in flavor and aroma but it was so sour I had a hard time even putting 6oz of it down. I could/would have enjoyed it more if I just smelled it instead of drink it. I think it did irreparable damage to my throat when I slammed the remnants of the bottle down. Holy cow

BDA800C7-8D16-4FCA-8B5B-EB79D58C61C1.jpg

Mikkeller branded but really De Proef brewing - Cherry berliner.

Its 20 degrees out and we are suppose to get our first measureable snow tonight. Sounds like a good a time as any to have another new to me berliner.

It looks awesome, smell is bad - like a handful of dirty pocket change. Taste is better, tart and clean with decent cherry. Considering the price, very easy to pass on this. Would not buy again.

Its 20 degrees out and we are suppose to get our first measureable snow tonight. Sounds like a good a time as any to have another new to me berliner.

It looks awesome, smell is bad - like a handful of dirty pocket change. Taste is better, tart and clean with decent cherry. Considering the price, very easy to pass on this. Would not buy again.

Sounds like Mikkeller had a hand in more than just the branding.

It's amazing Mikkeller can be so consistantly bad when he doesn't even make the beer.

Jesus Christ that's ****ing funny, had a nice hearty laugh.
Once heard him give a talk, and since I'm of Danish descent, I asked him what was most Danish about his beers. He claimed it was "balance," which was funny at the time and has only gotten funnier.

Tarte Nouveau Picture

I wasnt a big fan of the base beer but I was told this one was really good and worth seeking out. I got trolled...its not good. Spoiled grain, OJ gone bad and vinegar.
Yeah, no, it wasn't very good. The base isn't very good either as you pointed out.

Winter Berliner Banging continues.

Local bar had this berliner on tap that I had to try because I never even heard of the brewery before. Mispillion River Brewing - Cat Caller. Pretty clean and lemony lactic tart with a candy-like sweetness to contrast. You could funnel a gallon of this to the face and not even be mad about it.

Then a buddy surprised me with an early Christmas present - couple berliners I never heard of yet they were sitting on the shelf here in PA.
Toolbox - Das Froot (peach and apricot berliner)
Toolbox - Cucumber berliner
Smuttynose - Peach Short Weisse

Will likely investigate and report back on these in the coming days

Smuttynose - Peach Short Weisse

Its good. Bright fruit addition dominates with minimal cereal grain sweetness. Has a lightly grassy under-ripened/peach skin aspect and there is a touch of yeastiness to it almost suggesting clove. Ive had berliners in the past fermented with weizen yeast strains and felt it very distracting...if thats what was used here its subtle enough to not be too bad but would likely be an even better brew with a different yeast.

Also opened Jack's Abby cranberry berliner and was impressed. Really nice mix of lactic lemony tartness and cranberry fruitiness without going over the top. The brew was crushable to every extent, my only gripe is with the nose - nothing desireable in the smell, it was all carbonics. Would still buy again based on taste/festive holiday choice.

5C6FDB57-A951-48B3-AC6D-0D29C208834C.jpg

84331361-0824-4D54-8B5D-4A05933A82C9.jpg

So this was my first exposure to this brewery and im pretty pleased to know these are just sitting on the shelves in PA now.

Das Froot has a wonderful fruit presence that plays well with the base lactic character. While the nose is wildly juicy and fresh, the taste is exactly how under-ripe versions of the stated fruit tastes.

The cucumber one is a bit weird. I had a couple other cucumber berliners over the years and this one falls middle of the pack. The cucumber here imparts more grassy/seedy feel than expected and it also has a soft pepper character I was not anticipating. Still decent though.

So this was my first exposure to this brewery and im pretty pleased to know these are just sitting on the shelves in PA now.

Das Froot has a wonderful fruit presence that plays well with the base lactic character. While the nose is wildly juicy and fresh, the taste is exactly how under-ripe versions of the stated fruit tastes.

The cucumber one is a bit weird. I had a couple other cucumber berliners over the years and this one falls middle of the pack. The cucumber here imparts more grassy/seedy feel than expected and it also has a soft pepper character I was not anticipating. Still decent though.

I have only had a few Toolbox beers, but I was very impressed with them (Mackinaw, in particular). Where in PA are you? Had no idea they had distro outside CA and/or surrounding areas.

I have only had a few Toolbox beers, but I was very impressed with them (Mackinaw, in particular). Where in PA are you? Had no idea they had distro outside CA and/or surrounding areas.
Im late in responding, sorry bout that but I see it was already answered. Even our local wegmans/weis grocery stores have them. Saw a lime gose and a mixed berry berliner this time out but passed on them for $10 a 500ml or whatever they were.

ToolboxBrewer

Back