The Berliner Weisse - (All things related discussion/lookout/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More acidic than most berliners, but loads and loads of apricots. Love this beer.

IMG_2377.JPG

Any actual Berliners here? I had a great locally crafted Berlinerweisse in Kreuzberg this summer at a bar called Hopfenreich and I was wondering if anyone would know what it is?

Union Brewing out of Baltimore just released a nice berliner on draft called Bolo. Had a short pour today at the local bottle shop. Very crushable...blizzard be damned.

Union Brewing out of Baltimore just released a nice berliner on draft called Bolo. Had a short pour today at the local bottle shop. Very crushable...blizzard be damned.

Dude, Union is on point. Their gose and barrel aged fruited goses are amazing. I'd love to try bolo

Dude, Union is on point. Their gose and barrel aged fruited goses are amazing. I'd love to try bolo

Next time you get your hands on one of their BA fruited goses, hit me up and I'll touch you in all the right places for it.

Love their gose, from the handful you two dildos have sent me. Would love to try it with some fruit added.

Did this get distributed to Maryland? I never saw it...

I got one from wine source way back, and then a few weeks ago saw a bottle in the fridge at a little liquor store in towson. Dulaney wine and spirits. Not really sure they have another bottle left. Last i was there when i got it , there was one left. Hell, it might still be there

Next time you get your hands on one of their BA fruited goses, hit me up and I'll touch you in all the right places for it.

Love their gose, from the handful you two dildos have sent me. Would love to try it with some fruit added.

French press. Shot of champagne. Should do the trick.

Berlin Alexanderplatz by hopfenstark is one of my favorite berliners. only had it once on tap at VT brewers fest. I wish I saw it around here
This might be the first time ive ever seen this beer mentioned anywhere before. A friend of mine went on vacation near that brewery and ended up hanging out with the brewer/owner over the course of a weekend.

Long story short - I was gifted a 750ml unlabeled bottle of it. It knocked my tits off... would love to bang again.

Im terrible and have not been keeping up to date with my berliner bangs.

Recent rub a dubs included:
Sara - Maiden Fields (good stuff, perfect tartness and pleasant nuance. Could drink by the gallons.)
Pipeworks - Cranpire Christmas (****ing Christ no....just, no)
De Garde - Imp Cherry Bu (im starting to understand why people love De Garde but holy **** these are sour. Like, more sour than some American wild ales and not what I personally think of as an easy drinking berliner. Perhaps thats the "imperial" aspect? Donno.)
Funkwerks - Provincial (Would not suggest. Not a fan of berliners that have yeasty phenolics and a carbonic/mineral character.)

This might be the first time ive ever seen this beer mentioned anywhere before. A friend of mine went on vacation near that brewery and ended up hanging out with the brewer/owner over the course of a weekend.

Long story short - I was gifted a 750ml unlabeled bottle of it. It knocked my tits off... would love to bang again.
I was blown away by it at the VT brewers fest and immediately started searching for it. I have only ever found their saison and a smoked berliner IIRC by them in distro in the states. If i ever manage to find it I will buy them out and split them with you

I was blown away by it at the VT brewers fest and immediately started searching for it. I have only ever found their saison and a smoked berliner IIRC by them in distro in the states. If i ever manage to find it I will buy them out and split them with you
Boson De Higgs was on the shelf here in PA that is the smoked beer (a lichtenhainer actually if you wanna be style crazy) which I found enjoyable but not nearly as awesome as the berliner.

Would love to try again if that ever happens. No need to split the lot with me, just 1 would make me very happy.

In other berliner news. I popped open a Bayerischer Bahnhof Brett Lambicus Berliner (stubby little 11oz bottle) that I had cellared for 5 years. Its in a weird place... the tartness has become a little muted and brett character is overtaking it. Id give the nod to enjoying this more while it was fresh but now im committed to my long term aging project and will revisit the rest of my bottles in a couple years.

Boson De Higgs was on the shelf here in PA that is the smoked beer (a lichtenhainer actually if you wanna be style crazy) which I found enjoyable but not nearly as awesome as the berliner.

Would love to try again if that ever happens. No need to split the lot with me, just 1 would make me very happy.

In other berliner news. I popped open a Bayerischer Bahnhof Brett Lambicus Berliner (stubby little 11oz bottle) that I had cellared for 5 years. Its in a weird place... the tartness has become a little muted and brett character is overtaking it. Id give the nod to enjoying this more while it was fresh but now im committed to my long term aging project and will revisit the rest of my bottles in a couple years.
I'm actually going to Montreal in April/May for a bachelor party so I may end up with a bottle or two. I already emailed the brewery to see if it is or will be available. If its not distributed I will offer ZJs in exchange for bottles

Im terrible and have not been keeping up to date with my berliner bangs.

Recent rub a dubs included:
Sara - Maiden Fields (good stuff, perfect tartness and pleasant nuance. Could drink by the gallons.)
Pipeworks - Cranpire Christmas (****ing Christ no....just, no)
De Garde - Imp Cherry Bu (im starting to understand why people love De Garde but holy **** these are sour. Like, more sour than some American wild ales and not what I personally think of as an easy drinking berliner. Perhaps thats the "imperial" aspect? Donno.)
Funkwerks - Provincial (Would not suggest. Not a fan of berliners that have yeasty phenolics and a carbonic/mineral character.)

I'm still basically a de Garde newb, but I echoed your comments on the first couple I tried (Imperial Black Raz, and regular Peach bu - Peach was a struggle to finish by myself)....the most recent 2 I've tried have been much more easy drankin' (regular Stone and Apricot).

24150197173_2692612edc_c.jpg

Tried some stakem homebrew waelz with blckout20

This one made with Pliney the Elderberry was tasty. Look at that color!
You serious? This is the worst case of bad forgery ive ever seen. Some dude puts a piece of tape on a bottle and all of a sudden thats what it is? Clearly the folks at Jacks Abbey need to be informed that someone is opening up their berliner, adding KoolAid to it and recapping it as homebrew.

You serious? This is the worst case of bad forgery ive ever seen. Some dude puts a piece of tape on a bottle and all of a sudden thats what it is? Clearly the folks at Jacks Abbey need to be informed that someone is opening up their berliner, adding KoolAid to it and recapping it as homebrew.
Isn't this exactly JWakefield's process for some of his "beers"

Since we allow discussion of fruited berliners in here, im gonna assume its cool to also talk about lichtenhainers since they are basically smoked berliners.

8CC41ED3-1D3D-4845-9E79-8D4AF9D00A9E.jpg

This one kinda got away from me...had no idea I was sitting on it for 4 years now.

Anyway, its the tits. Donno why I let myself get surprised by how good it is, I mean, its Westbrook and their berliners are money. Perfect integration of smoke. Its tart and lemony with the smoke faintly lingering on the tongue but its light, crisp and ****ing chuggable. Damn you impress me Westbrook.

And because I like to do things in pairs...here is the brett wine barrel counterpart.
3EADA0AC-7CC5-4A7C-B35E-6B04E74CE53E.jpg

There is a lot going on in this but strangely it doesnt impress me as much as the base lichtenhainer. The combo of wine, brett and smoke might be too much crazy going on for me. Not sure if its the brett or something from the wine barrel but there are some phenolics going on in this that are slightly plastic-like, then all wine and its even more sour than just the lacto base.

I like it, I just just dont love it like the plain westbrook lichtenhainer.

Latest posts

Back