The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say opinions are like arseholes but I think the saying really should assumptions are like aresholes. If you want to know how a region organizes and handles score sheets show up and volunteer to help.

I am not a member of the organizing club/group in Nashville but I was there judging for multiple categories. There was a team of 3 to 4 individuals who collected the score sheets from each category as they were finished and recorded in the computer. They were alphabetically sorted into folders with the entrants name on them the day of the competition.

They could not mail score sheets until all categories were finished and all data was submitted to the AHA. The AHA set timelines and deadlines for all phases of the competition. So far I have not heard one situation where any of the judging centers including Nashville has surpassed a deadline.

A little patience and understanding of what it takes to receive, sort, organize, and judge over 700 competition entries with a completely volunteer staff goes a long way.

I really enjoyed your write up and appreciate that you took the time to volunteer and judge at the Nashville site. I know that judging is a thankless task and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do that.

However, no other site is having an issue mailing out their scoresheets in a reasonable amount of time. No other site is using AHA deadlines as a barometer for when they'll get their scoresheets out either. No other site, to the best of my knowledge, has had to judge entries over the course of two weeks because they couldn't line up enough judges. And finally, no other site has put out a request to newbes to help judge remaining entries (yes, I saw the music city brewers explanation but that statement still grates me and indicates that something odd is going on here).

Every other site is getting their scoresheets in the mail and out of their hands. I'm sure that they don't want to be inundated with emails from anxious homebrewers. It really does irritate me to see sites judged this past weekend that are already sending out scoresheets. As someone mentioned a few pages back, Nashville is going to be the first site to judge and the last to send out scoresheets, and that's not really acceptable.

I'm irritated with the competition organizers and club that put on the Nashville first round and NOT the judges, stewards, or other volunteers that helped out. Once you judge a beer and hand off the scoresheets it is the responsibility of the organizers to process them and mail them out. A responsibility that they can't seem to handle but every other center has.

I really enjoyed your write up and appreciate that you took the time to volunteer and judge at the Nashville site. I know that judging is a thankless task and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do that.

However, no other site is having an issue mailing out their scoresheets in a reasonable amount of time. No other site is using AHA deadlines as a barometer for when they'll get their scoresheets out either. No other site, to the best of my knowledge, has had to judge entries over the course of two weeks because they couldn't line up enough judges. And finally, no other site has put out a request to newbes to help judge remaining entries (yes, I saw the music city brewers explanation but that statement still grates me and indicates that something odd is going on here).

Every other site is getting their scoresheets in the mail and out of their hands. I'm sure that they don't want to be inundated with emails from anxious homebrewers. It really does irritate me to see sites judged this past weekend that are already sending out scoresheets. As someone mentioned a few pages back, Nashville is going to be the first site to judge and the last to send out scoresheets, and that's not really acceptable.

I'm irritated with the competition organizers and club that put on the Nashville first round and NOT the judges, stewards, or other volunteers that helped out. Once you judge a beer and hand off the scoresheets it is the responsibility of the organizers to process them and mail them out. A responsibility that they can't seem to handle but every other center has.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think this precisely sums up what has people a bit burned by all this. For those who need to re-brew, the lack of will to get sheets in the mail that every other site has exhibited may put Nashville's entrants at a disadvantage for the Final Round. When you set your goals near the bare minimum required, it seems hard to not expect people to get aggravated, especially when there are so many other sites who seem to be doing a marvelous job wrapping the process up in a timely manner.

I still haven't received my score sheets from the KC center. Anyone else still waiting on Kansas City? Also, should there be information relating to my scores on the brewingcompetition.com website? I'm not seeing any.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think this precisely sums up what has people a bit burned by all this. For those who need to re-brew, the lack of will to get sheets in the mail that every other site has exhibited may put Nashville's entrants at a disadvantage for the Final Round. When you set your goals near the bare minimum required, it seems hard to not expect people to get aggravated, especially when there are so many other sites who seem to be doing a marvelous job wrapping the process up in a timely manner.

I don't have my scoresheets either, and I'm in the Sac region, not Nashville. Some of us are just a little more patient then others. Our region had Janis Gross and Annie Johnson in it too and was incredibly well run. Annie made a great point earlier. For all beer styles that anyone would consider a "re-brew" there is still more then adequate time to do so. If you're waiting to rebrew a High gravity, Lager, or sour beer, then that's kinda on the brewer and probably not a wise decision.

I judged a different region and would echo what you said about the quality of the beers being low. Not just my opinion but those judging at tables around me. One of the Master judges even talked about it. Of the flights I judged, I had one beer that I thought was worthy of passing on to a Mini BOS.

I also believe it was a huge mistake on the part of the AHA to schedule any judging the week of the Brewers Conference and World Beer Cup. That pulled a lot of quality judges out of several regions this week. In my region, we were short handed on judges and they were trying to figure out a way to judge everything.

There was also a major annual BJCP competition in a neighboring state scheduled the weekend of the Nashville judging dates. Nashville pulled in judges from Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, and a couple other near by states but many qualified judges were down in Georgia at the peach state brew off. I do not think they pulled in any judges from Georgia.
Several judges made comments that they would prefer to judge a local comp and not deal with the volume and AHA hassle of the NHC, I tend to agree with those sentiments.

The issue of low quality beer was echoed by most judges I spoke with that weekend. It seemed to be an issue in every category. I had beers with obvious infections in two flights. One with that listed its base as a Flanders Red that was taken over with acetobacter, big vinegar bomb. Several that did not come close to style or even what the brewer specified on their entry form for style or special ingredients. Over all there was just a great deal of barely average beer, some drinkable but mostly uninteresting and blah.

I judged in Denver this weekend. It was extremely well run. I stayed for the award announcements (I don't remember any names, sorry) and they already had the scoresheets packed and ready to go for locals to pick up who were there volunteering. I would guess they will get them mailed soon. The comp director was very good about making sure the least experienced judges were paired with the most experienced judges available for each flight. Gary Glass even made an appearance.

Some of the mini BOS were so tough, especially in large categories (IPA/American Ale/SHV all had around 60 entries...stout had 65) where about 15 beers made it to the mini BOS. Judges really agonized over getting things right. Things get nitpicky at this level; hairs are split and then split again. These are not tough decisions with 15 great beers on the table. Congrats to everyone who placed.

I got my SD scoresheets back on Friday and got 1st in light hybrid for my Kolsch and 1st in Scottish/Irish with a Scottish 70/-. Woohoo! This will be the first trip for my beers to second round.

I judged in Denver this weekend. It was extremely well run. I stayed for the award announcements (I don't remember any names, sorry) and they already had the scoresheets packed and ready to go for locals to pick up who were there volunteering. I would guess they will get them mailed soon. The comp director was very good about making sure the least experienced judges were paired with the most experienced judges available for each flight. Gary Glass even made an appearance.

Some of the mini BOS were so tough, especially in large categories (IPA/American Ale/SHV all had around 60 entries...stout had 65) where about 15 beers made it to the mini BOS. Judges really agonized over getting things right. Things get nitpicky at this level; hairs are split and then split again. These are not tough decisions with 15 great beers on the table. Congrats to everyone who placed.

I got my SD scoresheets back on Friday and got 1st in light hybrid for my Kolsch and 1st in Scottish/Irish with a Scottish 70/-. Woohoo! This will be the first trip for my beers to second round.

Congrats on the good showing for your beers Dennis.

There was also a major annual BJCP competition in a neighboring state scheduled the weekend of the Nashville judging dates. Nashville pulled in judges from Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, and a couple other near by states but many qualified judges were down in Georgia at the peach state brew off. I do not think they pulled in any judges from Georgia.
Several judges made comments that they would prefer to judge a local comp and not deal with the volume and AHA hassle of the NHC, I tend to agree with those sentiments.
The Austin site was also the same weekend and there was probably some overlap in judge pools. I know of a fair number of judges that were making their decision on who contacted them first. I was going to help in Austin, but scheduling fell on our vacation.

Speaking of Austin, any word on the scoresheets and results from that region? They judged 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.

It's like when you were a kid and the last few days before Christmas felt like an eternity...

In fairness, AHA brough this on themselves.

Remember several years ago when you literally did have to wait until they uploaded all of the results to their website by the day they said they would?

I think it's only in the last 2-3 years that regions started sending out score sheets early or unofficially announcing results.

And now this year, sending our scoresheets and announcing unofficial results was actually encouraged by AHA.

Just a couple of quick comments. First, Chicago is close to being finished up. We did 4 sessions between Friday & Saturday and there had been a few before then and they had a couple other flights to round out. Overall, the judge pool in Chicago was very good, drawing about 20% at National & above, iirc.

Second, the purpose of this competition hasn't been to rebrew the beer. That's not to say that you can't, but why not go ahead and brew the beer again in advance anyway? If the beer is that good, why not rebrew it? You may not advance, but then you still have 5 gallons or whatever batch size of great beer. Just a thought.

Just a couple of quick comments. First, Chicago is close to being finished up. We did 4 sessions between Friday & Saturday and there had been a few before then and they had a couple other flights to round out. Overall, the judge pool in Chicago was very good, drawing about 20% at National & above, iirc.

Second, the purpose of this competition hasn't been to rebrew the beer. That's not to say that you can't, but why not go ahead and brew the beer again in advance anyway? If the beer is that good, why not rebrew it? You may not advance, but then you still have 5 gallons or whatever batch size of great beer. Just a thought.

While I think a contest that's as spread out as NHC absolutely needs to account for rebrewing, in defense of those who are asking, fermenter space is usually not unlimited. There are lots of other contests going on this time of year, so devoting fermenter space to a beer that may or may not advance at NHC, while failing to brew for your State fair is probably not an appealing option to many brewers.

That said, I think there's plenty of time left to rebrew for advancing beers. I'm am eager for my results as my friends who went to San Diego region (I was Sac) already have theirs, but I'm patient as well.

There are lots of other contests going on this time of year, so devoting fermenter space to a beer that may or may not advance at NHC, while failing to brew for your State fair is probably not an appealing option to many brewers.

Well, quite honestly, if you want to try to win at NHC, you need to adjust your schedule to their schedule and not ***** and complain if a national competition with ~9,000 entries doesn't fit into your timeline or brewing schedule. ;)

Well, quite honestly, if you want to try to win at NHC, you need to adjust your schedule to their schedule and not ***** and complain if a national competition with ~9,000 entries doesn't fit into your timeline or brewing schedule. ;)

I agree with this 100%. I made sure to set aside 3 extra bottles of my Eisbock. I put aside another 12 bottles of my Munich Dunkel and was ready to rebrew, just so I'd have options of which one to submit.

My Berliner Weisse and American wheat are easier since they can be turned around in 2 weeks or so.

I judged in Zanesville so I was able to get my sheets a couple hours after judging was finished. I advanced my Berliner Weisse. I saved 5 bottles from the winning batch, rebrewed it before NHC first round and just rebrewed it last week, which means I'll have at least 3 different options of what to send.

If you're serious about trying to pull in medals you should be busy rebrewing your lagers instead of speculating here. We're only talking about 4 beers so if you didn't expect your beers to move on to the second round you should have saved your money.

Yeah, cause it's not standard for every other competition to post the winners for each category within 1 - 3 days right?

I don't think anyone wants or is asking for results from all 9,000+ entries. Posting the winners for each category at each center a few days after judging has been concluded isn't unreasonable and it would shut us all up. My hopes are slightly elevated since my Vienna took a 1st place ribbon this past weekend at a mid-sized competition.

So far - do we have confirmation that every other 1st round location other than Nashville has shipped out or is in the process of shipping out their score sheets?

I don't know if you've followed my comments on this thread, but I have encouraged patience the whole way. I judged the Sac region and have nothing but respect for the incredible volunteer effort put out.

I feel like your comment was a bit unfair and paints me as a complainer. Please be thoughtful- there are people on the other end of the screen names.

Yeah, cause it's not standard for every other competition to post the winners for each category within 1 - 3 days right?

Even NHC didn't come up with a 1-3 day window...

NHC website said:
Anticipate results being posted the week following the first round competition date

Sure, Nashville and some others may be late, but again, if you remember NHC from several years ago, there was no expectation you'd know your score for several weeks.

Hell, even their FAQ's say to not anticipate posted results until April 18th.

Results from individual judging centers will be posted as results are verified. Anticipate results to begin being posted the week of April 18th.

I personally wish they'd go back to the old system of telling comps not to announce winners and not to send scoresheets until the official AHA announcement....

I don't know if you've followed my comments on this thread, but I have encouraged patience the whole way. I judged the Sac region and have nothing but respect for the incredible volunteer effort put out.

I feel like your comment was a bit unfair and paints me as a complainer. Please be thoughtful- there are people on the other end of the screen names.

Apologies....my comment wasn't referring to you. It was agreeing with you!

When I said "your brewing schedule", I meant those folks complaining....not folks like you and I suggestion patience AND better planning.

:mug:

Apologies....my comment wasn't referring to you. It was agreeing with you!

When I said "your brewing schedule", I meant those folks complaining....not folks like you and I suggestion patience AND better planning.

:mug:

Cheers my man. Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to read too much into it, but I did fear other posters might read your reply to me and get me all wrong. :mug:

I personally wish they'd go back to the old system of telling comps not to announce winners and not to send scoresheets until the official AHA announcement....

I agree with that, living in Germany, even if my sheets were mailed judging day it takes at least a week, maybe 2 to get to me, then I get to go to DHL and that's another 3 weeks back to the states.

When I read that people in my region had results announced at the judging and have their scoresheets though, I don't think it's asking too much to make an announcement like, hey these people advanced, get your beers ready.

Even NHC didn't come up with a 1-3 day window...

The results from a competition that I entered was judged on Saturday and the winners were posted the following morning. It's pretty standard for competitions to post the winners (i.e. not every entry's score) within 1 - 3 days of completion. Since every other competition I've ever entered, with the exception of 1 - 2 which I'll never enter again, can do this why can't the individual 1st round centers? It would be a nice improvement to see for future NHCs and would keep the bitching and complaining that is an annual NHC tradition to a lower level.

I agree with this. It's hard to not be annoyed when I see people who enter a 1st round center judged the same weekend as my center get their score sheets back, and some with placings, within a week while my first round center is doing....what, exactly is the Nashville coordinator doing? Their facebook page says they'll try to get the score sheets out by the 20 - 21, several days after the AHA posts their results....

Huge congratulations to everyone who has advanced so far & good luck to those still waiting on results. This is my first NHC & stewarding the SD region was a very exciting experience & certainly one that I will do again. Heck, I might even go for the BJCP gig. I have found this thread to be very informative & good natured for the most part. I can understand people's anxious nature as I am anxious for my results as well.
One thing I have found very funny is that a couple people have chastised people's bitching & lack of patience in one breath while telling everyone what their scores were in the next breath. "I got my scores the same night they were judged! All of you who are complaining about waiting weeks for yours need to be patient!" Once I get my scores, I might join that club. Oh wait...I drew Nashville.

One thing I have found very funny is that a couple people have chastised people's bitching & lack of patience in one breath while telling everyone what their scores were in the next breath. "I got my scores the same night they were judged! All of you who are complaining about waiting weeks for yours need to be patient!" Once I get my scores, I might join that club. Oh wait...I drew Nashville.

I totally understand the desire to get scores and results back. Being anxious and wanting your scores back just so you know is one thing. Wanting the scores back so you can rebrew is what I'm not understanding. It's only 4 beers and 3 bottles each are needed. If it's a style that needs to be judged fresh, there will be plenty of time to rebrew. If it's a style that may be cutting it close - like a lighter lager, just rebrew it now. Worst case scenario is you get a batch to drink, and since it was worthy of submitting, you at least should think it's a great beer.

I brewed my Munich Dunkel 2x. Once for the first round, and then rebrewed it shortly before the 1st round was judged. I was also planning on brewing it again if it went forward. All just so I had 3 different versions to pick from, or blend together, etc. Now I'm sitting on almost 10 gallons of a Best of Show winning Munich Dunkel recipe that didn't go forward at NHC. Oh shucks... I guess I'll be forced to drink and share it. Anyone want some Munich Dunkel? :mug:

I totally understand the desire to get scores and results back. Being anxious and wanting your scores back just so you know is one thing. Wanting the scores back so you can rebrew is what I'm not understanding. It's only 4 beers and 3 bottles each are needed. If it's a style that needs to be judged fresh, there will be plenty of time to rebrew. If it's a style that may be cutting it close - like a lighter lager, just rebrew it now. Worst case scenario is you get a batch to drink, and since it was worthy of submitting, you at least should think it's a great beer.

I brewed my Munich Dunkel 2x. Once for the first round, and then rebrewed it shortly before the 1st round was judged. I was also planning on brewing it again if it went forward. All just so I had 3 different versions to pick from, or blend together, etc. Now I'm sitting on almost 10 gallons of a Best of Show winning Munich Dunkel recipe that didn't go forward at NHC. Oh shucks... I guess I'll be forced to drink and share it. Anyone want some Munich Dunkel? :mug:

I concur. Anyone waiting to rebrew is taking a risk that isn't necessary. Although I do understand the earlier point that someone made about competition season. I am fortunate in that I have a huge fermentation chamber, but there are plenty of people out there who only have room for one vessel. Not to mention, even with a huge fermentation chamber, you're still stuck fermenting at one temp. This could throw off a lot of temperature schedules that rely on ramping up as fermentation progresses or even cold crashing. Honestly, that isn't a concern of mine, but like I said, I do understand some people being concerned about it.

What's killing me is all of my pals getting their scores back from judging centers that judged a week or two after mine did. That and the site director for Nashville citing the "Due by" & "Required By" dates set by AHA. If I wanted due by dates read to me, I'd make a trip to the DMV. I'm thinking that I'd almost prefer to NOT KNOW...at the very least, I could hold out hope that there would be a surprise in my mailbox waiting for me.

Bottom line is that a lot of time, money, & effort goes into this competition on both sides of the coin. I think it all boils down to respect. If you respect one another, you do your best to make each other happy. When I hear that all the scoresheets are ready to be mailed out, but they'll "try" to get them out in 9 days, that basically tells me that I'm not high on the priority list. Then again, I'm just a simple paying member of AHA, not of much value. So I guess I should just get used to it huh? Seems to be the concensus...well...at least amongst those who already have their scoresheets.

not gonna rebrew my Munich Dunkel, and both ciders will be fine. my cobrewer rebrewed our IPA already. Maybe I'll dry hop the crap out of it again.

...I cannot imagine in the old days of entering dozens of styles that people rebrewed everything. Sure there's a few like hefeweizen that I'd want as fresh as possible, but generally I had enough green beer in the First Round.

I was told last week that the results from NYC were mailed out on the 8th. ....still no sign. No expectations, I brewed another batch of stout anyway, figuring I'd just have 36 less ounces to consume if by some miracle it was good enough to advance....it's good enough to advance to my gullet any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Indeed, and I've seen that from a bunch of folks on here too.....I guess they put mine on horseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

haha thanks...yeah i must have been counting in beer weeks. I think it was more like I shipped my beer about 4 weeks ago and for some reason i was thinking first week in march was the judging not first week in April.

Back