The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my score sheets back from Philly. Just as I thought my Sessionable APA (56 entries) got destroyed with a 25, but got a 36 under the 23A category. I got a 41 (mini-BOS) for my Wee Heavy and a 38 for my IPA.

There was nothing checked off for placing. but I don't think a 41 would would get a medal.

don't lose that nervousness yet.
a cobrewer and I won the IPA category in KC with a 39. Other advanced with 36, 37, 38, and 39 albeit in significantly smaller categories. And I judged the 41-pt 60/- that won the KC region.
Sounds like most and possibly even all of the Philly top 3 were marked on the coversheet, but don't go drinking your last bottles yet.

either way, congrats on some excellent scores. :mug:

I dont think i trust that list. The guy who won gold in TN in the dark lager cat seems to have named his Munich Dunkel entry the exact same name as i named my munich dunkel entry. So out of 20 entries 10% of them had the identical name?

I was referring to your actual login, that shows your entries. They will update those to show you what place if any, and/or if it went to mbos. I just wasn't sure if there are being updated as they went along or if Janis does them all at once.

The wife just opened my scoresheets from Philly and it looks like I was shutout this year, but I'm waiting for the official word.

I dont think i trust that list. The guy who won gold in TN in the dark lager cat seems to have named his Munich Dunkel entry the exact same name as i named my munich dunkel entry. So out of 20 entries 10% of them had the identical name?
What list? This thread has gone on for awhile, so I'm unsure what you're referring too. How unique is your beer name is the question..not the percentage of same names calculation :)

Anything from Seattle in the mail? I have a partial list of winners from before they disabled the brewingcompetition.com website, but it only had one of the four categories that I entered and that one didn't place.

a cobrewer and I won the IPA category in KC with a 39. Other advanced with 36, 37, 38, and 39 albeit in significantly smaller categories. And I judged the 41-pt 60/- that won the KC region.
Sounds like most and possibly even all of the Philly top 3 were marked on the coversheet, but don't go drinking your last bottles yet.

I got my score sheets at the competition. I didn't have any places marked. when they called out the results i had placed in dark lagers. I know not all sheets were marked.

I submitted my entries to NYC and still haven't heard anything. Anyone else get their score sheets back yet from NYC? I thought I saw somewhere that they were getting mailed this week.

I got my score sheets back from Philly and I was very disappointed in the feedback. I honestly feel like I was ripped off.

Was this KC NHC 2014? Were your scoresheets marked? I had an IPA that scored a 42, but was not marked for mini-BOS nor placing. A little disappointed, I had hoped I would at least go to mini-BOS with that score.

Holding out slight hope that they just didn't mark my sheets and 2nd or 3rd might still be a possibility.

Was this KC NHC 2014? Were your scoresheets marked? I had an IPA that scored a 42, but was not marked for mini-BOS nor placing. A little disappointed, I had hoped I would at least go to mini-BOS with that score.

Holding out slight hope that they just didn't mark my sheets and 2nd or 3rd might still be a possibility.

our 1st place KC IPA was marked, yes. Generally that means 2nd and 3rd were too though obviously not always. I know one IPA scored in the upper 40's but did not place in mini-BOS - heard something offhand from a head judge about quite a lot of diacetyl.

42 is great either way. the "advanced to mini-BOS" box is often not checked; I would be shocked if your beer did not make it that far. Worst case you've got 3 more great bottles to drink.

our 1st place KC IPA was marked, yes. Generally that means 2nd and 3rd were too though obviously not always. I know one IPA scored in the upper 40's but did not place in mini-BOS - heard something offhand from a head judge about quite a lot of diacetyl.

42 is great either way. the "advanced to mini-BOS" box is often not checked; I would be shocked if your beer did not make it that far. Worst case you've got 3 more great bottles to drink.

Definitely happy with the 42. I'm attending the conference for the first time this year so I was crossing my fingers that the banquet might hold some suspense for me.

I guess I'll know for sure in a week or so when they post all the results!

:mug:

Got my score sheets back from Philly. Just as I thought my Sessionable APA (56 entries) got destroyed with a 25, but got a 36 under the 23A category. I got a 41 (mini-BOS) for my Wee Heavy and a 38 for my IPA.

There was nothing checked off for placing. but I don't think a 41 would would get a medal.

I judged American Ales, Stouts and Porters in Philly.

The APA were all over the place. There were some really good ones early in the flight, but there were terrible ones in the mid-to-late flight. Unfortunately, the judges really liked heavily bitter, heavily dry-hopped beers. There were beers that did scored well that were significantly out of style for APA. I scored one APA a 34 and another judge gave it a 41. I did not move my score despite heavy suggestions from others. The beer probably had 70+IBU.

The APA were all over the place. There were some really good ones early in the flight, but there were terrible ones in the mid-to-late flight. Unfortunately, the judges really liked heavily bitter, heavily dry-hopped beers. There were beers that did scored well that were significantly out of style for APA. I scored one APA a 34 and another judge gave it a 41. I did not move my score despite heavy suggestions from others. The beer probably had 70+IBU.

Seems like you could have been a touch more flexible when the deciding factor was something as subjective as perceived IBUs. I say that constructively. And it's JMHO.

Unless you had a compelling reason to think you knew better then all the other judges (and maybe you did!), a score like that can knock a beer out of Mini-BOS even though the vast majority of the judges clearly believed it belonged there.

I had a similar situation where we were even further apart (and thus something had to change...). I deferred to the more experienced national judge I was working with, but he had to come down too. It's a give and take thing.

Edit: BTW, I also judged APAs in our region, and experienced the same "all over the place" thing that you did. Ironically, it was clearly the worst flight of beer I judged all weekend, whereas a category as hard to brew as Pilsners was an outstanding flight of beers. Weird.

As a judge this is a weak spot for me. I personally love hoppy pale ales that are obviously way out of the style guidelines for IBUs. It takes a conscious effort on my part to put aside my personal preference and look hard at the style guideline for this particular category.

I was a steward for APA's and IPA's in zanesville.

Lessons I learned is:
hop your APA's to mid IPA levels (maybe 55ibu's) and you IPA's better be over 70 ibu's.

Also I won't enter a competition with any beer I don't let sit out for an hour previous to sampling, before deciding to enter it.

The specialty category judging is a bit of a joke. Not that there weren't plenty of gushers, but the judges were yelling around about ingredients and such. It was at least distracting and possibly insulting to some of those that were volunteering that may have had a beer in the comp. I understand judges don't know every ingredient and may have to ask but it seemed to me that it could have been done more discreetly.

Otherwise it was well run. I'll be volunteering more and I'm considering trying to become certified.

Denver, St. Paul and Chicago all judge this upcoming weekend. I'll be judging in Denver; it was ran well there last year.

I am getting impatient for my NYC score Sheets. It is coming up on two weeks since the comp.

I have young kids and a crazy schedule so getting time to brew is rare. I was hoping for some lead time as I can't just rebrew all my entries on the whim they might go through. A brew club member and I spent a night posting up the sheets for a 200 entry comp ourselves, so it can be done quickly if they want to....may be unreasonable, but I just want to know!

I am getting impatient for my NYC score Sheets. It is coming up on two weeks since the comp.

I have young kids and a crazy schedule so getting time to brew is rare. I was hoping for some lead time as I can't just rebrew all my entries on the whim they might go through. A brew club member and I spent a night posting up the sheets for a 200 entry comp ourselves, so it can be done quickly if they want to....may be unreasonable, but I just want to know!

I'm in the same boat. Every day this week I come home from work expecting them to be in my mailbox. Had this problem last year and the two Homebrew Alleys (run by the same club) I've entered. I've never gotten sheets back any sooner than three weeks. Supposedly (based on a post earlier in the thread) NYC is supposed to putting envelopes in the mail this week. We'll see how that actually works out.

I'm in the same boat. Every day this week I come home from work expecting them to be in my mailbox. Had this problem last year and the two Homebrew Alleys (run by the same club) I've entered. I've never gotten sheets back any sooner than three weeks. Supposedly (based on a post earlier in the thread) NYC is supposed to putting envelopes in the mail this week. We'll see how that actually works out.

I entered into NY last year and didn't get my scoresheets back until after the official results had been released. And they were one of the regions to judge the first weekend.

Just because their posted judging date was a certain date, it doesn't necessarily mean that they've finished. For example, Nashville was still judging categories this past week even though the initial judging date was two weekends ago.

I entered into NY last year and didn't get my scoresheets back until after the official results had been released. And they were one of the regions to judge the first weekend.

I also entered into NY last year and saw the same result. I guess I was too optimistic that they would come earlier with other sites sending out their sheets and hearing that NY would mail sheets out this week. Checked the mail today and they are not there. I guess if it comes by Saturday then they didn't lie.

Latest Nashville info per Music City Brewer's Facebook page:

I have just completed entering all the scores into the software, but I have to send the flight summaries into the AHA/NHC Competition Coordinator, Janis Gross, they are due to her by 4/17. They will be in the mail tomorrow. It is all on the AHA at that point. They will review the flight sheets, to ensure the scores were entered correctly and then I think they are supposed to release scores once all the sights are done judging and have submitted all their info. I would anticipate between the 17th and 20th. As for scoresheets, we are required to have them mailed out by May 2nd. I hope to have that done long before that. I am hoping I can get them out by the 20-21st. But I cannot guarantee anything. And dont worry you are the 25th person to ask me that...lol

Update on Nashville results/score sheets

EDIT: you beat me to it. Still sucks that KC can have their score sheets back within a few days and we have to wait a month, but what can ya do.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397159736.218409.jpg

Update on Nashville results/score sheets

EDIT: you beat me to it. Still sucks that KC can have their score sheets back within a few days and we have to wait a month, but what can ya do.

Honestly, just there's nothing to do but just ***** about it. The AHA doesn't care either. I've learned from the last two NHCs that there are centers that consistently judge on time and turn the scoresheets around within a few days. Those are the centers that I'll be registering for in 2015.

Honestly, just there's nothing to do but just ***** about it. The AHA doesn't care either. I've learned from the last two NHCs that there are centers that consistently judge on time and turn the scoresheets around within a few days. Those are the centers that I'll be registering for in 2015.

Yep, I'm sure all about organization. Nashville probably has a big stack of unorganized score sheets that they're dreading collating, stuffing into envelopes, addressing, and mailing, whereas KC probably had an addressed, alphabetized stack of envelopes ready for every entrant that they sorted the score sheets into after every flight.

The old "clean as you cook" adage applies here, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haha, small world -- that was my APA! Unless another APA got 34/41 at philly…

No worries on the score…I know it's outside of the current guidelines. But, lots of people like these types of PAs…we need another subcategory or something

Do you recall the advancing scores for AA/stout/porter?

Yep, I'm sure all about organization. Nashville probably has a big stack of unorganized score sheets that they're dreading collating, stuffing into envelopes, addressing, and mailing, whereas KC probably had an addressed, alphabetized stack of envelopes ready for every entrant that they sorted the score sheets into after every flight.

mostly true, just not after every flight. collating scoresheets into stacks of 100 and then filling pre-addressed envelopes from the stacks took about 4 of us an hour to complete the vast majority.

Got my San Diego scores in the mail today. Eisbock with a 36.5 mini BOS but not advancing and a BSDA with 38.5 and a 3rd place.

Haha, small world -- that was my APA! Unless another APA got 34/41 at philly…

No worries on the score…I know it's outside of the current guidelines. But, lots of people like these types of PAs…we need another subcategory or something

I've heard rumors of a new strong pale ale category...

SD sent me an email to with some attachments. But it wasn't score sheets. :eek:

Details about the abbreviated scoring sheets and some other stuff I didn't read.

Back