The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly Judges tonight/tomorrow and Sunday. My fingers are crossed :)

We are in the process of selling our house and it would be the worst time to have to brew another batch of beer. The responsible side of me doesn't want to advance, but the home brewer side of me says screw responsibility!!

Prospective buyers would surely understand the yeast starters swirling around on my counters :)

Philly Judges tonight/tomorrow and Sunday. My fingers are crossed :)

We are in the process of selling our house and it would be the worst time to have to brew another batch of beer. The responsible side of me doesn't want to advance, but the home brewer side of me says screw responsibility!!

Prospective buyers would surely understand the yeast starters swirling around on my counters :)

And if they don't then F' em!

San Diego judges today and tomorrow. Hopefully they get the sheets out in a reasonable amount of time this year. Last year it was weeks before I got my results.

I'll be stewarding San Diego tonight. My first time volunteering, so I'm excited to see how a competition judging runs from the inside. My entries are in Nashville. I'm a little concerned about the odd extension of judging, but it's my first NHC so I'm not expecting much by way of ribbons.

Wow, must've had a serious judging shortage. Has anyone heard of this happening before? (i.e. Not finishing as scheduled)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Checking #nashvillenhc on facebook, they state that they had 28 judges and 10 stewards last week. That's for a possible 750-ish entries or ~27 beers per judge. Oi vai. Hopefully they were able to get some pre-judging done, but that's not a great sign.

Also someone responded on the AHA forums that this same club took about a month to send out scoresheets from the Music City Brew-Off.

Trying to stay positive. Lesson learned so far is if I enter again in 2015 to aim for the KC competition. Well organized, well run, zero complaints that I can find.

On the AHA Forum thread that Darwin18 linked, one of the KC finalists didn't have their cover sheet marked with a placement. So some others may be in the same boat, but now I'm getting anxious again.

Also someone responded on the AHA forums that this same club took about a month to send out scoresheets from the Music City Brew-Off.

That was me. They kept giving us "we should have the scoresheets mailed this week!" For 4 weeks in a row. They also never uploaded the scores to the competition software, so if you didn't medal, you didn't have any idea how you did. They said they were just going to scan and email them to everyone, but that never happened either.

It just seemed strange to me for it to take so long. Our club has scores posted on the competition website immediately after the winners are announced, and each entrant has their own envelope that their score sheets get stuffed into at the end of each flight. Then those envelopes get mailed within the next day or so.

That said, they do get some great judges in Nashville that makes up for their lack of organization. All my commentary from them has been fantastic. Nice medals, too.

Either you're messing with us or you linked the wrong thing. I just get a list of judging sites/dates.

Interesting. I just tried the link again and it works fine. I googled "NHC Kansas City 2014" and it was the 4th result.

I just googled it myself and found it. Same link, too. So who knows.

In any event, yeah, no placement (and sorry Braufessor, no placement on the Shilling either)

Sorry yours did not make it through Ohrumphf. I Can't complain about the scottish not making it through - would have been a nice bonus but I am more than happy to get the other two through.

Good to know for sure though - thanks for the link!

Oddly enough, when I google "NHC Kansas City 2014" and click on the 4th link, it gives me Nashville's results. That was a nice little unexpected way of finding out that my BoPils advanced!

I think that link will only get you the result from the judging site you're entered in. Is there a way to look at results from other sites?

Checking #nashvillenhc on facebook, they state that they had 28 judges and 10 stewards last week. That's for a possible 750-ish entries or ~27 beers per judge. Oi vai. Hopefully they were able to get some pre-judging done, but that's not a great sign.

Trying to stay positive. Lesson learned so far is if I enter again in 2015 to aim for the KC competition. Well organized, well run, zero complaints that I can find.

Congrats!! My alt took 1st at KC and I don't need to re-brew as it will just get better with age:mug:

Speaking of which, would you guys bother re-brewing a pilsner? I set a few bottles aside just in case it advanced. I brewed it in December, though.

I'd just go ahead and do it without question if I didn't have to decoct :-/

Speaking of which, would you guys bother re-brewing a pilsner? I set a few bottles aside just in case it advanced. I brewed it in December, though.

I'd just go ahead and do it without question if I didn't have to decoct :-/

I don't have any experience brewing that style. I would rely on your senses. When do you think it peaked?

I don't have any experience brewing that style. I would rely on your senses. When do you think it peaked?

Hard to say, since I bottled up the last of the keg in February and set it all aside for various competitions. I only have three bottles left for the second round. It could be at its peak now, for all I know.

Hey -

I think everyone should be a bit careful with these results. In talking with individual(s) that judged at KC - these are not official/verified results. That is likely why they are not posted yet for all to see easily. This link may be a way to get a look at unconfirmed/unverified result list. The person I heard from seems to think there is one or more inaccuracies in this list - so, I think everyone should keep that in mind when looking at these results. Hopefully an accurate/verified set of results comes out which can alleviate speculation and assumptions. At any rate, I would error on the side of caution with assuming you did not make it, as well as expectations you did. I would rebrew beers you are unsure of in a "better safe than sorry" format. And, not assume this is the final verified set of results that will ultimately be published.

Hey -

I think everyone should be a bit careful with these results. In talking with individual(s) that judged at KC - these are not official/verified results. That is likely why they are not posted yet for all to see easily. This link may be a way to get a look at unconfirmed/unverified result list. The person I heard from seems to think there is one or more inaccuracies in this list - so, I think everyone should keep that in mind when looking at these results. Hopefully an accurate/verified set of results comes out which can alleviate speculation and assumptions. At any rate, I would error on the side of caution with assuming you did not make it, as well as expectations you did. I would rebrew beers you are unsure of in a "better safe than sorry" format. And, not assume this is the final verified set of results that will ultimately be published.

Yeah, few categories are missing from the Nashville results, and a couple only have 2nd and 3rd place entries listed. It's incomplete at best.

Ok disregard that. I tried the link you are all attempting and I'm only getting the judging sites. Seems it's sporadic depending on who is clicking on it.

I did this to get to the TN results. Give it a shot!
Clear your browser cache
Google National Homebrew Competition NHC 2014 TN
Look for the result with the TN address

Several Cats are still outstanding 11, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

I had to clear everything, cache, location, passwords etc. Then go thru the steps.

I did all those steps, but not sure what you meant by "Look for the result with the TN address". Didn't see anything relevant when the search results came up.

Im using the google browser on my Galaxy tablet. Im filtering my results to Past Month. Under the resuts title you should see the brief description below-

2014 National Homebrew Competition*- Brewing Competition
1 day ago -*Thanks and Good Luck To All Who Entered the*2014 National Homebrew Competition! There are ... 865 Conference Drive, Goodlettsville,*TN*37072. Friday 28*

Im using the google browser on my Galaxy tablet. Im filtering my results to Past Month. Under the resuts title you should see the brief description below-

2014 National Homebrew Competition*- Brewing Competition
1 day ago -*Thanks and Good Luck To All Who Entered the*2014 National Homebrew Competition! There are ... 865 Conference Drive, Goodlettsville,*TN*37072. Friday 28*

No luck, looks like patience is the name of the game for me, absent of someone posting the results of cats 2, 3, 5 and 14.... :mug:

Here are the current Nashville results:
2014 National Homebrew Competition

Thanks To All Who Participated in the 2014 National Homebrew Competition

There were 724 entries judged and 312 registered participants, judges, and stewards.

Best of Show Winners

Winning Entries

Category 1: Light Lager (20 entries)

Place Brewer(s) Entry Name Style Club
1st Steven Davis Go Straight To Helles 1 D: Munich Helles
2nd Jeff Fountain Bouncing Around The Lager 1 C: Premium American Lager Mash Heads
3rd Gregory Rinehardt Messerschmitt Lager 1 E: Dortmunder Export
Category 2: Pilsner (12 entries)

1st Evan Brill Shannon’s Blue Ribbon 2 C: Classic American Pilsner
2nd Adam Steele Bohemian Pilsner 2 B: Bohemian Pilsener Bluff City Brewers & Connoisseurs
3rd Nick Rodammer Gemutlichkeit Pilsner 2 A: German Pilsner (Pils) Brewsquitos Homebrewing Club
Category 3: European Amber Lager (13 entries)

1st Nick Rodammer Rodtoberfest 3 B: Oktoberfest/Marzen Brewsquitos Homebrewing Club
2nd Christopher Paulsen 3 Little Pigs Vienna Lager 3 A: Vienna Lager Carolina Brewmasters
3rd Charles Milan Bayou Fest 3 B: Oktoberfest/Marzen Redstick Brewmasters
Category 4: Dark Lager (20 entries)

1st Morgan Sapp Dip Your Dunkel 4 B: Munich Dunkel Clarksville Carboys
2nd Joe Niedzwecki Salute Your Schwarz 4 C: Schwarzbier Lowcountry Libations
3rd Jeff Veltkamp Mittelnacht In Munich 4 C: Schwarzbier Down East Alers (DEA)
Category 5: Bock (16 entries)

1st Ron Minkoff Inconsequential Mortals, Bow Before Glorious Bock 5 C: Doppelbock Hogtown Brewers
2nd Dennis Decker Maibock 5 A: Maibock/Helles Bock Dunedin Brewers Guild
3rd Michael Marino For Kacie 5 B: Traditional Bock
Category 6: Light Hybrid Beer (37 entries)

1st Dennis Decker Kolsch 6 C: Kolsch Dunedin Brewers Guild
2nd Jeff Fountain Fluffhead Cream 6 A: Cream Ale Mash Heads
3rd Matthew Giani Snappa 6 A: Cream Ale Hogtown Brewers
Category 7: Amber Hybrid Beer (8 entries)

1st Chris Collier
Co-Brewer: Cristina Collier Common 7 B: California Common Beer Covert Hops Society of Atlanta
2nd Joshua Stewart Steaming Pile Of Beer 7 B: California Common Beer
3rd Danny Sawyer Ctrl ALT Del Dusseldorf Altbier 7 C: Dusseldorf Altbier Music City Brewers
Category 8: English Pale Ale (29 entries)

1st Steven Richard Codswallop 8 A: Standard/Ordinary Bitter The Brewing Network
2nd Robert Adams Adams’ Extra Special Bitters 8 C: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Carolina Brewmasters
3rd Dennis Collins Full Monty British Ale 8 B: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Category 9: Scottish and Irish Ale (20 entries)

1st Robert Hilferding Way Off Kilter 9 A: Scottish Light 60/- Special Hoperations
2nd Ryan Stansbury Wee Heavy Kilt Tilter 9 E: Strong Scotch Ale Brewmasters of Alpharetta
3rd Etienne Bourgeois Ginger Foote Irish Red 9 D: Irish Red Ale Treasure Coast Brewmasters
Category 10: American Ale (74 entries)

1st Jim Barrie
Co-Brewer: Brittney Barrie, Derek Miles, Rich Yasparro, Tim Kirchner Prenup Pale Ale 10A: American Pale Ale ***NONE***
2nd Andy Green C Note 10A: American Pale Ale
3rd Ryan Smalley
Co-Brewer: Jeremy Cantrell Foggy Holler 10A: American Pale Ale ***NONE***
Category 12: Porter (31 entries)

1st Lane Harper Broken Top Porter 12A: Brown Porter The Brewing Network
2nd Charles Milan Piwo Porter 12C: Baltic Porter Redstick Brewmasters
3rd Matt Anderson Substitute Boyfriend 12B: Robust Porter
Category 13: Stout (55 entries)

1st Brian Britt CJ’s Irish Stout 13A: Dry Stout
2nd Ian Schmidt Imp Stout 13F: Imperial Stout Water To Fire Brewers Collective
3rd Julieanna Kapelan
Co-Brewer: Dave Brown Totes McGotes 13C: Oatmeal Stout Mid-State Brew Crew
Category 14: India Pale Ale (IPA) (70 entries)

1st Russell Burnitt Double Delight 14C: Imperial IPA Iredell Brewers United (IBU)
2nd Ross Hendricks Lowcountry IPA 14B: American IPA The Brewing Network
3rd Karl Zink Mercy 14C: Imperial IPA
Category 15: German Wheat and Rye Beer (13 entries)

1st Rob Whittington Grand Betty 15A: Weizen/Weissbier
2nd Scott Hixson
Co-Brewer: Theresa Hixson Yyyyy’s Man Says 15C: Weizenbock Gulf Coast Brewers League
3rd Mehmet Kurgun Sunny Days Hefeweizen 15A: Weizen/Weissbier
Category 16: Belgian and French Ale (43 entries)

2nd Jamie Hawthorne B3 Saison 16C: Saison ***OTHER***
3rd Alex Arthurton Roselle Sauvage 16E: Belgian Specialty Ale
Category 17: Sour Ale (28 entries)

1st Ryan Stansbury Mother Gueze 17E: Gueuze Brewmasters of Alpharetta
2nd Nathan Fulton Beautification 17E: Gueuze Cowford Ale Sharing Klub (CASK)
3rd Christopher Norrick Dagobah Swampy Sour 17C: Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Category 18: Belgian Strong Ale (35 entries)

1st Tyler Broussard Joxer’s Golden Coat 18D: Belgian Golden Strong Ale Brasseurs a la Maison
2nd Peter Czornohus
Co-Brewer: Chris Halcomb Lucky Monk 18C: Belgian Tripel
3rd Christian Going
Co-Brewer: Jeff Evans, Mark Fee Belgian Brew Dog 18E: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Category 19: Strong Ale (17 entries)

2nd Matthew Spolarich Noel 19A: Old Ale The Brewing Network
3rd Dave Dixon Dreaded English Barleywine 19B: English Barleywine NKY Hombrewers Guild
Category 20: Fruit Beer (18 entries)

1st Scott Hixson
Co-Brewer: Theresa Hixson Pineapple Tart 20A: Fruit Beer Gulf Coast Brewers League
2nd Lana Stewart Tennant’s Farmhouse Ale 20A: Fruit Beer West Tennessee Homebrewers
3rd Andy Park Evocative - Raspberry 20A: Fruit Beer
Category 23: Specialty Beer (45 entries)

1st Jack Griego "That’s One Bad Mutha Fuka" (Samuel L Jackson) 23A: Specialty Beer Cowford Ale Sharing Klub (CASK)
2nd James McNulty Naboo Ale 23A: Specialty Beer Battleground Brewers Guild
3rd John Stephenson Vanilla Rum Raisin Stout 23A: Specialty Beer The Hopheads [AL]

Thanks socratesbrewing! :mug: Assuming these hold up, looks like my Oktoberfest and Pils both advanced. Pretty happy with that showing.

Back