Temperature drop during 1 hour mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRazz

Reaction score
Hi all,

so i tested how much of a temperature loss i have in my SS 70L pot over a one hour mash, i drop 3 Deg Celsius over a one hour mash, i have my pot wrapped in a blanket for the whole hour and was just wondering do you think i should start 3 deg higher or just leave it??

Thanks for your help

Maybe start 1.5 degrees higher, finish 1.5 degrees lower so it averages what you want. It doesn't really matter though as long as you're consistent so you know how things work on your system.

Hi all,

so i tested how much of a temperature loss i have in my SS 70L pot over a one hour mash, i drop 3 Deg Celsius over a one hour mash, i have my pot wrapped in a blanket for the whole hour and was just wondering do you think i should start 3 deg higher or just leave it??

Thanks for your help

The mash temperature only matters when conversion is going on. Does your mash take a full hour to convert? With BIAB you can use grains that are milled much finer than for a conventional mash tun and with that the conversion may be over in less than 20 minutes. In that case, a 3 degree C. temperature loss by the end of 60 minutes is nothing to worry about.

I use a triple wrap of reflectix insulation wrap (Lowe's or HD). I lose about 1F per hour. Otherwise, as RM-MN said, you don't have much to worry about.

Back