Saison brewed yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tested a new mod on my BIAB technique. I mash in a small 7 gallon pot that is now wrapped with metallic insulated bubble wrap. No bag at this point. 1 hour and I only dropped about 6-8 degrees. This gets ladled out into a bottling bucket that holds a metal strainer (from my seafood boiling pot) and this holds my brew bag. Brew bag then acts like a huge coffee filter and I drain from the spicket in my bucket. While this is happening, the sparge water is heating up in the brew pot.

Long story short, hit my preboil gravity and post boil gravity with ease. 1.064 OG

9lbs Pilsen malt
13oz red wheat
8oz white wheat
8oz C20 (substitute, didn't have Munich)
14oz Dextrose at flameout.
90 min boil
1.5oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 60
0.5oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 5
WLP565 / 1ltr starter

Also used my $15 fountain pump to recirculate ice water to cool it down to 75 deg. This has been my best idea especially when the tap water is 80+ degrees in the summer and yesterday it was 75.

Update on this beer. 4 days in fermentor and we have had 3 days of 80 deg weather. Did a grav test and we are up to 6.7% abv today. Down to 1.013 and hoping for a few more and this is in need of clearing. Tastes amazing right now. The C20 was Briess Caravienne and this has a slight malty taste that I hope remains after bottling.

This year I named my beers after Rush songs. This one is BU2 'Ube'. Ube Oubre was my great uncle that fought in WW1. I always pictured this little fellow (he was maybe 5' 4"), Enfield at his side, enjoying a beer in Belgium. This one is in his honor.

Since I've gotten a electronic hydrometer to put in the FV, I've seen all my beers hit FG by about day four if not earlier. Some have crept down afterwards a point or two with 3 or 4 days between each point.

But all have taken much more time for all the yeast and everything to fall out of suspension. Some as few as 10 days and the current beer just cleared yesterday after a total of 20 days in the FV. Little busy this weekend so I'll probably not bottle till next week.

Let us know what it's like when you do that first pour after all is consider done.

Since I've gotten a electronic hydrometer to put in the FV, I've seen all my beers hit FG by about day four if not earlier. Some have crept down afterwards a point or two with 3 or 4 days between each point.

But all have taken much more time for all the yeast and everything to fall out of suspension. Some as few as 10 days and the current beer just cleared yesterday after a total of 20 days in the FV. Little busy this weekend so I'll probably not bottle till next week.

Let us know what it's like when you do that first pour after all is consider done.
I think I may invest in one of those this fall. I'm about to head out of state for work and will be gone 6-9 months so no large brews until I return. I'll be in the "what can I do with 1 gallon jugs" for the majority of 2023. At least I will be in New England - having never been there - and plan to hit several breweries.

I did this recipe from a kit back in early 2020 and it was a hit. I did a 2.75 gallon batch last year using extract instead of all grain, but I didn't get the ABV or taste that the first one produced, as expected. This has a little more wheat (I didn't feel like leaving 3 oz just sitting around) and the swap of Caravienne for Munich in the original recipe.

I'm with you, the majority of my beers that ferment correctly finish in 4-5 days. S04 is my favorite for pale ales and it burns through the sugar. I don't think I have ever bottled a beer on day 7 or 8 and 10-15 are typically what I shoot for. Clarity is the determining factor for me and while I don't always rack to secondary, I will if I am collecting yeast and/or need that beer to clarify. Now that I am kegging, I don't feel the need to rush to bottle. This one will be bottled, but I have extra yeast to make a new starter, but I don't see that needed.

The electronic hydrometer's aren't going to do anything for your beer. They just give you more data points to look at and maybe help you in your understanding of what's going on.

All it's done for me is help solidify some ideas I was in the maybe category about.

I don't take my beer out of the FV until it's cleaned up. And the Rapt Pill I use does not tell me that one piece of critical (to me) information.

Back