Temperature control fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I am making an English Ale using Wyeast 1098 the temp range is between 64-72 degrees. When you are able to control the temp of your fermentation is it better to ferment at the higher or lower end of the spectrum? What are the pros and cons of fermenting at the high and lower ends?

Depends on what you're going for. Most yeast will produce more of their particular ester profile at the high end of their temperature range and ferment cleaner lower. For something like a Weizen yeast, you'll get banana high and clove low. With 1098, I'd personally go low (64-66 dgrs) to stay as neutral as possible, to showcase the malt and hops, but some people like a little bit of fruitiness in their English Ales.

Depends on what you're going for. Most yeast will produce more of their particular ester profile at the high end of their temperature range and ferment cleaner lower. For something like a Weizen yeast, you'll get banana high and clove low. With 1098, I'd personally go low to stay as neutral as possible, but some people like a little bit of fruitiness in their English Ales.

Thanks, so if set the fridge to around 67 to a lower middle ground will I get a clear yet slightly fruity flavor?

I agree with using that yeast on the lower end of it's suggested temperature range. I particularly find English Ale strains much better when they are fermented cooler, but some of that is personal preference.

Thanks, so if set the fridge to around 67 to a lower middle ground will I get a clear yet slightly fruity flavor?
If you set the fridge at 67, the wort will be at least a few degrees higher during active fermentation. I'd start at 64 and ramp up a degree per day after krauzen forms.

edit: I type slow. Mex beat me. :p

Latest posts

Back