Fermenting at a higher temperature than yeast's recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacSudz

Reaction score
New brewer here with a question. My next batch of beer will be an all-grain lager using SafLager W-34/70 yeast. The package says the ideal fermentation temperature range is 53 - 64 degrees. However, my batch will be fermenting at 72 degrees. With that said, will there be adverse effect to fermenting at a higher temperature than what's recommended? Just curious what to expect.

Yeast activity is highly dependent on temperature. There will be differences compared to lower temperatures with this yeast. I see that the package says the range is 48.2 - 71.6F, ideally 53-59F.

With higher temps, the most common off flavor is fusels, which are like rubbing alcohol. You may not get those. If your ambient is 72F, you may like to prepare to prevent the fermenter temp from increasing well beyond that.

Y020-Saflager-W3470-Front_1_a706ce09-17db-4ca2-a2ac-9515238c8f0c_x700.jpg

Last edited:
The OP's information seems correct according to the website info.

https://distributors.fermentis.com/download/135/english-tds/177/tds-en-saflager-w34-70
Can't see your picture of the sachet, but very possible it's still one of the older pre-printed sachets with the out of date info.

Fermenting higher than ideal might not be the best, but it might not be the end of the world either. I don't do lagers so I should be the last to tell you what to do. But have you considered pressure fermenting or a different yeast? Or even just not doing lagers until you can control temperatures effectively.

Ales and Stouts of all the various kinds keep me happy brewing with just the ambient temps that I can provide and sometimes a little effort to cool or heat that doesn't require special equipment.

Interesting, they must have changed the packaging, mine gives a different ideal temperature range.
img-230511094711-0001.jpg

@SacSudz , I think you have the newer packet with the current information. It seems to agree with the website info.

About a year ago, I wrote and ask fermentis about the discrepancies between the packet and the website and they wrote back saying to go by the website info as it is the most up to date.

They admitted that they had pre-printed way to many sachets with what the current belief was then, but later testing showed that there was a wider range for many of their yeasts. They decided to use up the old sachets because the criteria was within the new criteria for the most part.

New brewer here with a question. My next batch of beer will be an all-grain lager using SafLager W-34/70 yeast. The package says the ideal fermentation temperature range is 53 - 64 degrees. However, my batch will be fermenting at 72 degrees. With that said, will there be adverse effect to fermenting at a higher temperature than what's recommended? Just curious what to expect.
Will 72°F be the ambient air temp or will it be the wort temp? I ask because as wort ferments into beer, heat will be generated.

If 72°F is the ambient air temp the wort temp is likely to be much higher. This will likely create a condition that the mfr did not intend and could cause unintended flavors. Whether or not these flavors are desirable is up to the drinker.

If 72°F is wort temp and will be controlled at 72°F, I think you’ll be just fine. I have fermented this yeast into 65-68°F with great results. Given the mfr says the upper limit is very near 72°F I doubt there will be a problem.

Many here have fermented this yeast warm. Check out the warm lager thread.

Last edited:
If 72°F is the ambient air temp the wort temp is likely to be much higher.
And how much higher is going to depend on a lot of things. There are lots of relatively easy and almost free things you can do to lower the temperature of your fermentation. So once you're done with the warm fermented lager thread, search for "swamp cooler."

over at [URL="https://fermentis.com/en/product/saflager-w-34-70/ said:
SafLager™ W‑34/70[/URL] Fermentis"
in order to compare our strains, we [Fermentis] ran fermentation trials in laboratory conditions with a standard wort for all the strains and standard temperature conditions (SafLager: 12°C for 48h then 14°C / SafAle: 20°C).

Warmer may be good, cooler may be better.

Like @mac_1103 said, there are a number of easy and almost free things that can be done to help control fermentation temperature.

from my experience thats a little hot and will produce off flavors and possibly a drain pour. especially if you dont have any temp control because you will likely have swings in temp which in my opinion may be worse than warm and stable. i have used lager yeasts at 66 to 68 with success after reading the warm fermented lager thread i suggest you take a look there. but i use swamp cooler and my temps stay pretty stable at around 66 degrees. not as clean as fermenting it cold but plenty drinkable.

A couple of you have mention the "warm lager thread" but I can't seem to find that. Can someone post the link to it. Thanks!

Back