Tea filter bags for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever used these for dry hopping? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

I usually keep a muslin bag around but it looks like I forgot to pick one up last time I went to LHBS. I have these filter bags for loose leaf tea and am wondering if they would work or if the weave is too fine to get good utilization. I probably wouldn't put more than .25-.5 oz of pellets in each one.

I've thrown pellets into the fermenter before, but had some clarity issues with that approach ... Want to try bagging again this time around.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading I wanna say in Homebrewing for Dummies that you can use tea bags. But dunno if you would boil the bag alone before using to sanitize?

Just dry hop when you can get a nylon mesh (hop) bag. That way you know the hops will be properly contained. Or just toss them in loose and be better during the transfer.

I've used those with a plastic clip to keep them shut. No complaints so far.

Don't think they would allow good circulation. I bought four of the LARGEEEE, stainless steel t-balls from Amazon. ...THESE... I haven't used them yet.. but, I'm expecting there will be good circulation and easy to remove most/much of the sludge. My plan is to put each addition in it's own t-ball. Also, instead of buying mesh bags for grain steeping with extract brews, I've used my wife's "CLEAN" tossed panty hose. They get a run and they get tossed.. so, two legs.. two recyclable bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with the 4" Tea balls is that the hops expand and pack tight in there, so be careful with the amount you put in. (I was using pellet hops to dry hop a keg, roughly 2oz I think)

yep.. I think my max per addition would be 1 oz for the bittering and less for additions. But, I only brew half batches 2.5 G batches, so, for instance, my Bittering is only .5 oz and subsequent are that or less for my house APA

+1 for the panty hose. I buy the 10 packs of nylon stockings for something like $5. I drop an ounce of pellets in with something to weight it down, and tie off the top with monofilament fishing line. drop it in the keg and thats it. I usually have to throw out the first 2 pints but after that it clears up almost as brite as commercial beer

Thanks for all the input. When I looked at the filter bags again, they looked really small. I ended up finding some larger cotton spice bags at a store in town, so I used a bunch of those with about half an ounce of hops in each of them. So I'm good for now. But I may try the panty hose trick next time.

Cheers!

Back