Tale of 2 different fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
Check this out, 10 gallon batch. One got wlp800, the other 802. Both were real old and set to expire this month. One took 36 hours (at least visible in bucket) and the other almost 60 hours. Anyways, the wlp800, 36 hour start, showed the rise of yeast, that without fail, I have always seen, and is still opaque. The wlp802 (slow start) doesn't show that rise and also is not opaque anymore. I think the heat rose a little in the room, but I can almost always see some sort of rise from krausen. The wlp802 definitely smelt like it was fermenting and I could hear it in the bucket bubbling and fermenting. Any thoughts? Might actually have to break down and test this one with a hydrometer.

View attachment 1476250654455.jpg

View attachment 1476250662724.jpg

I see a krausen ring in both buckets. They are fermenting.

Yeast starters? I guess not from the lag time.

Fermentation temperatures.

If either of these are off, the beer will suffer.

Haha mystery solved. I think its a different lid thickness making one opaque. The one with the chunks floating in it hadn't changed in a few days. So I figured you know what, I want to drink that today. Plus just dying to see what the hell that was floating in there. I was hoping it was some sort of wild sour or something. No such luck, it was little pieces of hop floating around and some grain that slipped into this first 10 gallon batch. Well after looking at it, I figured I would rack it today. Anyways thanks for the thoughts.

Yep, son of a gun looked like a wit! I think you can ferment lagers warm but there is no getting around the cold lager time needed to flocculate them. 34\70 definitely is a better bet. This wlp800 still had krausen after 3to4 weeks sitting warm.

Latest posts

Back