T58 and WY1214 (or WLP500)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lele

Reaction score
They’re said to be the same yeast strain. But they have REALLY the same flavors?
What’s your experience with these two yeasts?
Thanks [emoji4]

Definitely not the same strain. T-58 can’t consume maltotriose. It won’t attenuate nearly the same as those strains. I believe it’s been genetically tested to not be really close to any liquid strain. Closer to bread yeast than anything else. S-33 and Bry97,
Windsor also fall into the same “category”

Last edited:
T-58 is not the same strain. If you're looking for a dry equivalent for WY1214/WLP500, then this post may hint that Lallemand Abbaye may be just it or close (considering there aren't that many Trappist monasteries left).

Thank you for the answers [emoji1303] I know that T58 is used also for Tripel and BSDA. In your opinion, is it a great yeast for these styles or nothing compared with wlp 500 or other Belgian liquid yeast?

T-58 is not the same strain. If you're looking for a dry equivalent for WY1214/WLP500, then this post may hint that Lallemand Abbaye may be just it or close (considering there aren't that many Trappist monasteries left).

I got bad results from Abbaye. Dumped it. I'd say that's probably not Chimay.

I haven't tried any of these yet, but all look promising (and I'd like to hear pros and cons if any have tried them already):

Fermentis SafAle BE-134
Fermentis SafBrew BE-256
Mangrove Jack M21 Belgian Wit

As for liquid yeasts, I recently used Wyeast 3864 (Unibroue) in a tripel and thought it turned out pretty good, but it failed to medal in a recent comp, so...

Last edited:
I got bad results from Abbaye. Dumped it. I'd say that's probably not Chimay.
I only used it once for a blond ale, which was quite good. I didn't have Chimay bottles at hand to compare at the time, but the esters were very nice.

Lele said:
I know that T58 is used also for Tripel and BSDA. In your opinion, is it a great yeast for these styles or nothing compared with wlp 500 or other Belgian liquid yeast?
As was mentioned above, T-58 does not consume maltotriose and consequently has low attenuation, which must be taken into account. Plan to add enough simple sugars to the grain bill (which is always good for high gravity beers as it dilutes FAN) and mash very low for very long. There are sample recipes with T-58 at Castle Malting site

Last edited:
I've used T-58 a few times and always got over 75% AA with it and sometimes over 80%, but you need to mash low and long and add sugar. However, it is powdery, so it does not settle firmly at the bottom of the keg/bottle/can. The yeast profile is rather simplistic, with pepper and a generic spiciness to it, with the fruit being subdued. It ferments quick and it is agressive while doing so. I like it for the simplicity it offers as a dry yeast. It will produce mild, Belgian-like aroma and flavour.

I've tried Danstar Abbaye a few times and I didn't like it. Something about the yeast profile did not smell, nor taste right. They however also recommend it for darker beers, which I have not tried, so that's also on my list. It was kinda sharp tasting, quite medicinal/herbal/sharp phenolic like, which was really unpleasent. I believe it did not handle hops very well: didn't pair well with 30 IBUs, did not pair well with dry hopping, no dry hopping, 40 IBUs, 15 IBUs, etc. It ferments well, good attenuation, although slower than T-58 in my limited experience.

I've tried Danstar Abbaye a few times and I didn't like it. Something about the yeast profile did not smell, nor taste right. They however also recommend it for darker beers, which I have not tried, so that's also on my list. It was kinda sharp tasting, quite medicinal/herbal/sharp phenolic like, which was really unpleasent.
That's a real bummer. Do you recall your fermentation schedule? Mine was kept @23C(~73F), I was thinking to take it higher next time.
I believe it did not handle hops very well: didn't pair well with 30 IBUs, did not pair well with dry hopping, no dry hopping, 40 IBUs, 15 IBUs, etc.
Isn't that a common issue with expressive yeast?

The yeast profile is rather simplistic, with pepper and a generic spiciness to it, with the fruit being subdued.

Thanks for this information. In fact, this is what I'd like to know: does T58 have a complex flavor or nothing compared to liquid yeasts like 3787 or 1214?

T-58 does not compare well with liquid Belgian yeast. I mean for me Westmalle is really good and nuanced, so is Wyeast 3726 ( Saison ), whereas some of the other liquid yeast are not quite there for me.

T-58 is a lower caliber yeast, but with the right mash, hops, grain bill and spices, you can brew decent Belgian style beers. I feel it also works well, perhaps better, in dark belgian beers, where you can add specialty malts, some Candi Syrup and spices. At the same time, T-58 is really, really cheap and reliable. 1 sachet can easily ferment 6-7 gal of 1.060-1.065 beer, even when close to the " best before " date. But I like it enough to continue using it and moreover, I now kinda know how to treat it, to get good results out of it.

I've used T-58 in conjunction with Belle Saison to add complexity to the yeast esters in a saison. I also have three carboys of sour beer going that used T-58 for the primary fermentation. In all cases, the T-58 stopped around 1.015 leaving plenty for brett/lacto/pedio to chew on.

I though BE-256 is just a re-naming of Abbaye. I've used both in various belgian beers and an 18.1% imperial stout that turned out amazing. Pretty hardy yeast that can ferment fairly clean if started cold and gently ramped up in temperature over the course of a couple weeks.

Back