Swmbo troubles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Does anyone else have te most un-understanding spouse? Anytime I do anything brewing related (other then drinking it6 hes on my back and in a pissy mood. He will encourage me to start brewing a batch then after two hours he will start yelling at me for making a mess. I'm sorry honey but brewing makes a mess. I always clean it up so I don't know what his deal is.*

Then today. I've needed a fermentation chamber forever so my brews can taste better and we don't have to have the ac blasting. Finally after 6 months I get the stuff. Hze encourages me to start making it tonight. So I'm cutting up the foam and piecing it together. After an hour and a half (when he can't entertain himself anymore) he starts getting cranky. I tell him I need another hour I will be done. As I'm plugging everything and making sure it works he starts yelling about using the wrong outlets. But he won't tell me why. Then he starts yelling again (at this point Im just ignoring him and cleaning up). I have to go leave for a 30 minute walk so he can calm down his mini hissy fit. Then he is angry because he had to clean up the rest. Everytime I do anything brewing related this happens. I'm about to give up brewing just so I don't need to listen to it anymore. He ruins the time I enjoy it by being a baby at the end.

He plays music and he will shut me out for hours at a time. I don't mind because I know it's his thing and that's what he enjoys. And I enjoy the final result of the songs.

I don't really want any advice or anything. I'm just venting because I don't understand men. I swear they are more moody then women.

Oh he loves the final product. Just doesn't like the messes in a small apartment. I'm pretty good at making a mess I guess.

But fermentation chamber is done and cooling!

WOW! I dont know it sounds like he hates that he wishes he could be you. Where is this guys man card, I mean why isnt he helping you build this , or better yet building it for you. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear..but I've have a few.

SWMBO? Shouldn't it be HWMO.... (He who must obey)? Tell him to get in line and help you... It's Beer for crying out loud!!!

(This is an odd thread)... Did I fall into the bizarro section?

Wait, you are a Chick and you Brew?

Is that not hot enough.....
WTF else does he need.

I am sorry but, if He has a problem, let him read some of these comments.

What a freaking JERK !

MY SWMBO says he aint normal. And i cant play with you anymore. Oh and on a brighter note you are in the perfect place to replace him with someone who will Woooooorrrrrsssshhhhhip you.

Now Now, I think that might be a bit too much,

None of us should suggest that. all though we all might think it.

I think we should offer up funny, yet thoughtful options. in an attempt to help "HIM" in his impending worshiping of her.........

I think all that it will take is a large group of strangers laughing at him to help...

Does anyone else have te most un-understanding spouse? Anytime I do anything brewing related (other then drinking it6 hes on my back and in a pissy mood. He will encourage me to start brewing a batch then after two hours he will start yelling at me for making a mess. I'm sorry honey but brewing makes a mess. I always clean it up so I don't know what his deal is.*

Then today. I've needed a fermentation chamber forever so my brews can taste better and we don't have to have the ac blasting. Finally after 6 months I get the stuff. Hze encourages me to start making it tonight. So I'm cutting up the foam and piecing it together. After an hour and a half (when he can't entertain himself anymore) he starts getting cranky. I tell him I need another hour I will be done. As I'm plugging everything and making sure it works he starts yelling about using the wrong outlets. But he won't tell me why. Then he starts yelling again (at this point Im just ignoring him and cleaning up). I have to go leave for a 30 minute walk so he can calm down his mini hissy fit. Then he is angry because he had to clean up the rest. Everytime I do anything brewing related this happens. I'm about to give up brewing just so I don't need to listen to it anymore. He ruins the time I enjoy it by being a baby at the end.

He plays music and he will shut me out for hours at a time. I don't mind because I know it's his thing and that's what he enjoys. And I enjoy the final result of the songs.

I don't really want any advice or anything. I'm just venting because I don't understand men. I swear they are more moody then women.

I'm sorry, but he sounds like an ass.

A total ass, who doesn't love a girl who brews?

Get him to help out and maybe he will come around? If all else fails, I'm sure there are plenty of others who would be interested. :drunk:

I totally dig chicks that drink beer, let alone BREW beer. Sounds like someone has control issues. My suggestion would be to stand up to him and put him where he belongs. Don't necessarily have to take permanent control, just let him know that he doesn't need to be driving ALL the time.

That guy is definitely not representational of most men. I know you didn't want advice but you both need to sit in with a marriage counselour, pronto.

You should just give up brewing to make him happy. I'll PM you an address to send all of your old equipment. Especially the temp chamber. :D

I swear they are more moody then women.

That's why I have a SWMBO instead of a HWMO ;)

But that's real unfortunate to hear. I actually opened SWMBO to the world of delicious beer and when we brew together it's always a really good bonding experience. Hopefully you can get him to lighten up, relax and just go with it.

Congrats on the fermentation chamber though!

Oh he loves the final product. Just doesn't like the messes in a small apartment. I'm pretty good at making a mess I guess.

But fermentation chamber is done and cooling!

You know, I have a pretty understanding spouse. But when I do my hobbies, I do it when no one is home. My house is huge, but I hate clutter so it's not messy. But when I brew, make cheese, bake bread, etc, the place is a mess! Since I brew inside, it involves tons of equipment everywhere (as you guys all know) and usually quite a bit of spilled water and/or wort.

The nice thing is, by the time he gets home from work (or wherever he's been), the place is clean, and the fermenter is quietly sitting there. He's missed out on the kegerator build, the fermenting chamber build, the changing of kegs, etc. I think he believes that little elves come in or do it- or better, the Beer Fairy. Yes, the Beer Fairy came today and there are two new beers on tap!

My solution doesn't work for people who don't have time off during the week, though, and only brew on weekends. The other issue is that this stuff is HEAVY! I wish he was more interested so he could at least haul some of the heavy stuff.

It sounds like your HWMO is an ass. Reminds me of how my brother treats his wife. Very Selfish individual. He needs to grow up and realize the world isn't about him, there are other people in it as well. I couldn't imagine being with someone like that.

It sounds like your HWMO is an ass. Reminds me of how my brother treats his wife. Very Selfish individual. He needs to grow up and realize the world isn't about him, there are other people in it as well. I couldn't imagine being with someone like that.

Good, because that would be illegal :ban:

Good, because that would be illegal :ban:

Depends on what state you live in...

To OP:

Sounds like a self absorbed musician and if it isn't about him, he has a hissy. I should know... I used to be one.

You guys need to get to consoling pronto because this is just indicative of a larger problem he has with you being your own person...

Or tell him to pull his head out of his ass. That worked for me.

OMG I just spit my coffee out on the train!!!

:off:

Pappers, you've been having all kinds of problems on the train every day. One of these days, they're going to haul you off of there and lock you up in an aslyum. You're surfing HBT and laughing and spitting coffee every morning.

Ok, back on topic - Mosquito, as I wrote above, I truly hope things get better for you soon. Stress with spouse is very difficult and you ( and he) are in my thought and prayers.

As for the asylum, well, that's remarkably insightful! In her work, my spouse has been involved in involuntarily committing people to psychiatric hospitals - and frankly it makes me nervous.

:off:

Pappers, you've been having all kinds of problems on the train every day. One of these days, they're going to haul you off of there and lock you up in an aslyum. You're surfing HBT and laughing and spitting coffee every morning.

My wife got Me a setup for fathers day/my bday. She got Me 3 boxed kits along with your basic plastic stuff. She was a little miffed by how long everything took, the smell, and the mess. I made sure I cleaned it all up, and that usually keeps her happy. I made my last brew on a night she wasn't home, so that there was no time lost between us. If it continues to be an issue, ask yourself why he has an issue with it. It might be he wants more time together and doesn't share the same passion for brewing as you, or it may run deeper. I'm completely hooked on brewing, and I think I've done an ok job at not pushing my luck with it. its like anything else, there is compromise in everything.

Yeah seriously. If he's like this now, it's going to get worse once you're hitched. Then, you will be facing the realization that you'll be spending the better part of your life experiencing these strange mood swings.

If you quit brewing because your SWMBO bullies you, well I guess that's your business, but he won't just stop with brewing if you let him.

Latest posts

Back