Super noob here. Think I botched my batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakespeare

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Brand new brewer here.
Always wanted to start, and when I got my hands on a LOT of apples, decided it was time to start.
So I went for apple cider.
I took a hydrometer reading after putting the juice and sugar in, but having never used a hydrometer before, I think I misread it. I thought it was at 1.05, but looking back I think that was the "Potential Alcohol" reading i was looking at.
I put in camden tablets in, waited 24 hours, then cast the yeast.
A day later it was bubbling away, and continued bubbling for 2 weeks. When it stopped, I racked off into another carboy. I took a sample and tested, and it is reading the same as before, right at 0 potential alcohol. :(
Have I ruined it along the way, or am I just reading the thing wrong? If I did mess it up, ran I add more sugar and cast more yeast?

Thanks guys

That sounds pretty good!

You're reading the "potential alcohol scale", so it's good that it's 0 right now. That means there is NO potential alcohol there, it's already been made INTO alcohol.

Now, look at the hydrometer and turn it and see where your readings are on the specific gravity scale. Then we can calculate the actual ABV.

Do NOT add sugar or yeast- you'll ruin it. Taste it. It should be quite dry, so be ready for that since the sugar has fermented out. It might even taste a bit tart since the sugar is gone- but that's good because I like mine that way. If you want to sweeten it later before bottling, we can help you with that!

Really!? That's great news! I hope that's all it is!

I just rechecked, and it is 1.0 exactly on the gravity. I don't have anything to compare it to before since I was not reading the first one correctly :\
But you are exactly right on the taste. It is tart and dry right now.
Besides my samples I have the rest in a carboy with an airlock. You're thinking nothing to do till it's done with this next cycle?

Really!? That's great news! I hope that's all it is!

I just rechecked, and it is 1.0 exactly on the gravity. I don't have anything to compare it to before since I was not reading the first one correctly :\
But you are exactly right on the taste. It is tart and dry right now.
Besides my samples I have the rest in a carboy with an airlock. You're thinking nothing to do till it's done with this next cycle?

Right. Let it sit, and clear, and make sure to keep it to within an inch or two of the bung. Put it in a dark place or cover it, and wait 30 days or so before looking at it again.

Got it. Thank you so much! Gonna go do that now!

So glad I found this site!

:D

Hey guys!
I took a hydrometer reading after putting the juice and sugar in, but having never used a hydrometer before, I think I misread it. I thought it was at 1.05, but looking back I think that was the "Potential Alcohol" reading i was looking at.

Actually, if I'm reading this thread correctly, I think you do have a reading to compare it with: you initially thought it was 1.05 but now believe you were mistakenly reading off the "potential alcohol" portion of your hydrometer. Looking at mine, I assume then that you were actually reading "5% ABV" (or an OG of about 1.038) - this seems a touch low to me given that you added sugar, though you don't give proportions, but it's about right. The only other way to misread it would be if you read the Balling scale (which I think is the Brix measure?) which would put your OG way down at 1.020 and I don't think that's likely.

So probably you're at 5% right now, and if it continues to ferment below 1 (and it probably will), it will get that much more alcoholic.

Actually, if I'm reading this thread correctly, I think you do have a reading to compare it with: you initially thought it was 1.05 but now believe you were mistakenly reading off the "potential alcohol" portion of your hydrometer. Looking at mine, I assume then that you were actually reading "5% ABV" (or an OG of about 1.038) - this seems a touch low to me given that you added sugar, though you don't give proportions, but it's about right. The only other way to misread it would be if you read the Balling scale (which I think is the Brix measure?) which would put your OG way down at 1.020 and I don't think that's likely.

So probably you're at 5% right now, and if it continues to ferment below 1 (and it probably will), it will get that much more alcoholic.

It could be a correct reading, and be an SG of 1.050 or so, which is about right for apples with a little sugar. Hard to say!

It could be a correct reading, and be an SG of 1.050 or so, which is about right for apples with a little sugar. Hard to say!

Too easy!!

I actually discounted that based on OP's comments, but this is probably the likleliest possibility.

Latest posts

Back