Suggestions for an interesting dryhop for a blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I did a 10gal batch of kolsch which was split into two fermenters. I screwed up the dilution calculation on one (wasn't paying attention and diluted to pre-boil gravity instead of post-boil :smack: ).

So, the lighter one tastes ok, no major or obvious flaws, but its just kind of meh. So my thought was to dry-hop it and bill it as a "hoppy blonde ale".

Base recipe was Saaz and Tettnanger I believe. Looking for suggestions for an interesting combination. Something not citrusy, I've had enough of fruity citrusy hops for a while.

I was thinking something more spicy/floral, as that's what the others kind of carry, but open to other ideas....just something other than the citra/galaxy/amarillo sort of direction.

Interesting you should say that. I bought some K-97 yeast because I've heard mixed things about it, good and bad far enough back I need to use it. Recommended to me as a yeast to try by a trusted friend.

I was going to make a Kolsch with but I still have a lot of Munich Helles left on tap. So I'm thinking "American Blonde" instead. Has anyone used a small, low IBU amount of Citra or Mosaic in such a beer? Does it turn out alright? I feel.. a bit rebellious this weekend when I finally brew for the first time in months. I can do Cascade + something else too if I need to be more traditional.

Not too many interesting recipes turn up in a Google search for an "American Blonde" and many still recommend noble hops which I am more or less out of right now. I want to use up my 2013 and 2014 stash soon from the freezer.

Interesting you should say that. I bought some K-97 yeast because I've heard mixed things about it, good and bad far enough back I need to use it. Recommended to me as a yeast to try by a trusted friend.

I was going to make a Kolsch with but I still have a lot of Munich Helles left on tap. So I'm thinking "American Blonde" instead. Has anyone used a small, low IBU amount of Citra or Mosaic in such a beer? Does it turn out alright? I feel.. a bit rebellious this weekend when I finally brew for the first time in months. I can do Cascade + something else too if I need to be more traditional.

Not too many interesting recipes turn up in a Google search for an "American Blonde" and many still recommend noble hops which I am more or less out of right now. I want to use up my 2013 and 2014 stash soon from the freezer.

Mosaic is nice in everything I've used it in, from blonde to IPA and stouts. It seems to bring out different floral and fruit depending on its balance with malt. I like it by itself or with others.

Blondes and Hoppy is an APA. Not a blonde (I am touchy about American Blondes and what they should be https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26508.0), or a Bitter/Golden Ale with fruity yeast. If you dry hop Willamette is a good call. Perle is a good choice. I think you should call it an APA/Bitter. Blondes are sweet smooth round malty balanced hop. Not a lot of hoppy aromas. Not in my opinion anyway.

Nelson Sauvin has an acidic white wine flavor to me. I get it all the way through. And Mosaic is pretty assertive don't you think build?

Blondes and Hoppy is an APA. Not a blonde (I am touchy about American Blondes and what they should be https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26508.0), or a Bitter/Golden Ale with fruity yeast. If you dry hop Willamette is a good call. Perle is a good choice. I think you should call it an APA/Bitter. Blondes are sweet smooth round malty balanced hop. Not a lot of hoppy aromas. Not in my opinion anyway.

Nelson Sauvin has an acidic white wine flavor to me. I get it all the way through. And Mosaic is pretty assertive don't you think build?

Assuming no IBU change from the dryhop, it's still a blonde by BJCP guidelines, as long as there's still some malt character in the nose. IBUs most likely won't get high enough to qualify for APA guidelines. As a british golden ale.....maybe, although the kolsch yeast is probably way too neutral and again probably not bitter enough to make it there, IBU-wise.

Obviously, this is going purely on technical merit and specification per the BJCP...how it actually ends up tasting might be something else :)

And I was thinking about calling this beer "Bottle Blonde"...you know, because she's not really a natural blonde ;)

Assuming no IBU change from the dryhop, it's still a blonde by BJCP guidelines, as long as there's still some malt character in the nose. IBUs most likely won't get high enough to qualify for APA guidelines. As a british golden ale.....maybe, although the kolsch yeast is probably way too neutral and again probably not bitter enough to make it there, IBU-wise.

Obviously, this is going purely on technical merit and specification per the BJCP...how it actually ends up tasting might be something else :)

That's why I said Not a lot of hoppy aromas. Not in my opinion anyway.

Well, in my case I have no plans on submitting this one to a comp like I did the Munich Helles. I will call it "Late for Dinner" then.. ;) I don't care what it is called in this case as long as it's a nice summer beer.

I don't get much white wine flavors from Nelson Sauvin, mostly dark tropical fruit for me. Yes Mosaic can take charge, but does work well with others. I think it's a great hop for fruit and floral.

Back