Split Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
Looking for some input and recipe help for doing a 10 gallon all grain batch that I am planning on splitting into 2 - 5 gal batches. I already have a lot of darker / heavier beers on tap and wanted to add in some lighter beers to round out the kegerator. I was thinking of doing a blonde or cream ale / kolsch split post boil. after reviewing some recipes I have a starting point of:

19lb 2 row
1.5 lb cara pils
16 oz Maltodextrin ( maybe?)

Any suggestions on additions / deletions?

I guess my biggest question is which hops to use: cascade, willamette, crystal etc. and when

My plan is to use California ale yeast for the Blonde or cream ale and Kolsch ale 2565 for the Kolsch obviously.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first venture into tweaking recipes and doing split batches.

:mug:

I feel like a blonde and kolsch are going to be pretty similar. If it was me I'd do a blonde and a saison or something a little different.

If those are the hops you plan to use, I'd try using the Cascade and Willamette late in the boil. You can use whatever to bitter (I use warrior, magnum, or columbus). I'd do something like this:

.75oz Warrior @ 60 (~20 IBU)
2oz Willamette @ 10
1oz Cascade @ 0

Split batch with 3711 and US-05

One thing to watch out for when brewing lighter styles, especially when you're used to brewing dark, is your mash pH being too high. Make sure you aren't going above 5.5 or so

Thanks for the feedback. I am not set on those hops necessarily just found them to be prevalent in the recipes I had. I am still behind the learning cure on mash ph. I have been doing batch sparging and using RO filtered water and was under the impression you really had to worry about ph when doing fly sparging Is that an issue when batch sparging as well?

Thanks for the feedback. I am not set on those hops necessarily just found them to be prevalent in the recipes I had. I am still behind the learning cure on mash ph. I have been doing batch sparging and using RO filtered water and was under the impression you really had to worry about ph when doing fly sparging Is that an issue when batch sparging as well?

I BIAB and pretty much always check and adjust my mash pH. With 100% RO water and all base malts, you're pH is going to be high. I'd look into using some lactic or phosphoric acid in the mash to bring the pH down. There are water calculators out there to guide you on how much to use. Expect to use 1-4mL lactic acid in total

Sounds like you are splitting the wort into 2 fermenters? So only looking at post boil options?

I like your idea of going Blonde vs. Kolsch yeast. Yes, many would say its subtle, but I found the difference to be noticeable and very useful for future brews. The WLP029 Kolsch yeast has a wonderful roundness to the palette! (the Saison suggestion is also good, for a more distinguished difference)

You could also add 1# of honey to the primary of the Blonde, and it would add a nice honey character, which goes well with that style. You could also dry-hop if you want a little more hop character on the Blonde.

You may also want to use Pilsner malt as your base malt, as it lends itself well to those styles. I would consider replacing some of the Carapils/Maltodextrin with Vienna malt, to add some malty mouthfeel... maybe just 1#.

Good luck,
--LexusChris

You may also want to use Pilsner malt as your base malt, as it lends itself well to those styles. I would consider replacing some of the Carapils/Maltodextrin with Vienna malt, to add some malty mouthfeel... maybe just 1#.

Good luck,
--LexusChris

If I added in a pound of Vienna, how much of the carapils / malto should I remove?

If I added in a pound of Vienna, how much of the carapils / malto should I remove?

I prefer to go light on cara-pils in most recipes, and for a Kolsch, I want something light and crisp on the palette anyways... so I would swap it out 1:1. My last Kolsch had no cara-pils, just Pilsner & Vienna malt.

I would also limit the hops to a single bittering addition, around 20 IBUs... preferably noble heritage.
--LexusChris

If you're looking to do a good Kolsch, I would go with German pilsner malt. The difference between that and the 2-row was a real difference maker. Even between German and US pilsner... I won't use US pilsner unless making an US-style beer.

Can you ferment at two different temperatures? The Kolsch is a "hybrid" yeast, and it does best in the high-50s to very low 60s. That might cause the "peachy" issue with US-05 at such a low temperature.

I ended up brewing this combo myself last month for a party. My grain bill was 95% German Pilsner, 5% Vienna malt.

Before transferring my 10 gal Kolsch wort to two 5 gal fermenters, I added 1# of honey to one of the fermenters. When I pitched my WLP029 starter, I put 2/3 in the straight Kolsch fermenter, then 1/3 Kolsch plus a vial of WLP051 in the honey fermenter.

Fermented both at 65-F for a week, added 2oz of Citra hop pellets for 3 days to the honey blonde, and kegged for the party the following weekend.

Both beers were very well received, and tasted different enough. Granted, they looked very similar, but the Kolsch was crisp & clean, with that nice round pilsner character, and light touch from the Mt. Hood hops I had. The hoppy honey blonde had that great Citra nose, and the honey added to it perfectly.

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll do this combo again soon!
--LexusChris

Back