Substitute for Meussdoerffer Rost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
I'm putting together the ingredients to do the bock recipe from Zainasheff's book Brewing Classic Styles and he calls for Meussdoerffer Rost. I'm unable to locate it anywhere, so I was going to use his suggestion for a replacement, "the darkest crystal you can get". But I got wondering if Special B would work. Would this be an appropriate substitution?

Anyone have any ideas?

OK, maybe this would be a better way to put my question. Special B is described as: "Extreme caramel aroma and flavored malt" with a color around 180L. Does that mean it would be comparable to a very dark crystal malt?

Or, put even more to the point, would Special B be out of place in a Bock?

Thanks!

Meussdoerffer Rost is around 200L and described as "dark, aromatic". Special B sounds like a good substitute.

[Looks like Meussdoerffer is out of business.]

So, how did it turn out with Special B if that's what you brewed with? I'm gearing up for the same recpe, so actually, how did it turn out overall, as well? thanks!

I'd go with Simpsons Extra Dark (~155 L). I added some to a big dark wheat lager, it is lagering now but seems to be going in the right direction.

Hello All,

I have been looking and looking for Meussdoerffer Rost malt (200L) to make the Brewing Classic Styles traditional bock and haven't had any luck, so I decided to ask Jamil where he gets it and here is his response:

Ken,
Rost malt is just so darn hard to find. I wish I could have left it out of the recipe...

...The fact is I got that malt shipped to me by mistake and I just gave it a try. That beer did well in competition and so I had to stick with that for the book. I think your simpsons substitute is a good one.

JZ

The Simpsons malt I referred to in my question to Jamil was Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal found (among other places) at

NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Malts

If any bock champions have additional opinions, I would sure like to make a good one. Cheers, all!

-Ken

The beer I mentioned above with the Simpson's Extra Dark took home a second place in its category as an eisbock, not to bad for being less than 6 months old.

Back