Modifying the Westvleteren 12 Clone Fermentation and Conditioning Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Westy 12-inspired Belgian style Quadrupel (BDSA) beer here soon and am facing a slight dilemma: The recipes from CSI's website for Westvleteren 12, St Bernardus 12, etc. call for 6-8+ weeks of conditioning at 45F after two yeast dumps, which is a long time to tie up my fermentation chamber (8-10+ weeks in total).

I don't think the use of gelatin is all that traditional in Trappist-style ales, but to me it seems like the extended time in the fermenter/"secondary" is mostly to get the yeast to flocc out. I understand bulk-aging, but since this beer is going in the bottle for 6-12 months, I'm wondering if I can modify the process a bit:
  • Ferment at 63F with ramp to mid 70s over the course of a week. Hold at 75F-ish until FG is reached
  • Dump yeast (I use a Fermzilla with yeast catch and plan to just keep the valve open until the yeast settles into it, then close the valve and dump the cup)
  • Drop temp to 55-60F and hold for a week, potentially dumping another cup of yeast/sediment
  • Crash to 33F, add gelatin and wait 2-3 days
  • ---At this point I can either transfer to a CO2 purged glass carboy and condition in my garage for an extended period, or go straight to bottling---
  • Rack to bottling bucket with 500ml starter, priming sugar, and bottle it. Bring bottles into the house and let sit for 3-4 weeks
  • Transfer bottles to garage (stable 60F in the winter) and let sit until spring/summer/whenever garage gets above 65F-ish, then refrigerate the lot
This method would tie up my fermentation chamber for about 18-21 days instead of 56-70, and the beer would still age for 6-12 months before I began opening them with any regularity (of course I'll crack one each month or two to see how it's coming along).

Does this sound like an appropriate substitute for hogging 8+ weeks in my fermentation chamber? Or is the use of gelatin and fast-tracking the 45F conditioning period likely to have a profound negative impact on the finished product? The alternative is to not brew this beer for the foreseeable future.

Thoughts?

deuc224

Reaction score
Honestly i cant help you on this one but i tried to "cheat" the system by cutting corners and at the end, it turned out a great beer MONTHS after it should have been done. So now im just gonna do what the instructions say.

OP
OP
luckybeagle

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
Honestly i cant help you on this one but i tried to "cheat" the system by cutting corners and at the end, it turned out a great beer MONTHS after it should have been done. So now im just gonna do what the instructions say.
I hear ya, and I usually don't try to speed up processes, but 8 weeks at cellar temps just seems excessive when it'll be in the fermenter for several weeks, and then in the bottle for 6+ months, then under refrigeration indefinitely. Hmm.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I like your plan and would do just that if I couldn't put it in a barrel for 3-4 months first. I was able to save and can 2 qts of the 1.095 wort for priming so I'm kinda excited. Just that another 3-4 months in the bottle is a long wait but most likely worth it.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thoughts?

I am not sure what the book "Brew Like a Monk" says specifically about Westvleteren, but I would not be surprised if their process is to get the beer into a bottle in 2 weeks and then let it condition for a few months, probably more at cellar temps than lager temps.

For the two batches of quad that I have made, I kept them in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling. I would focus more on pitching a good amount of healthy yeast and proper fermentation temps (whatever range you target). At least with WLP530, I have had some issues with bottle conditioning so I have been adding some CBC-1 at bottling time.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure what the book "Brew Like a Monk" says specifically about Westvleteren, but I would not be surprised if their process is to get the beer into a bottle in 2 weeks and then let it condition for a few months, probably more at cellar temps than lager temps.

Looking closer at "Brew Like a Monk"...it seems that Westvleteren and Westmalle both typically have a fast primary fermentation (5 to 6 days) then a 4 to 6 week conditioning phase in the 46F to 50F range (longer for the higher ABV beers). For Rochefort, the book lists a 7 day primary fermentation, a 3 day secondary at 46F, then into the bottle. Chimay is listed as a 4 day primary fermentation, followed by 3 days at 32F then into bottles. Primary fermentation peak temps range from around 68F to 84F.

So I would say you have lots of options for a process that fits your equipment and needs. I suspect most of the breweries want to turn around the beer reasonably fast and don't want to age them for 6 to 12 months in the bottle.

Kee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Westy 12-inspired Belgian style Quadrupel (BDSA) beer here soon and am facing a slight dilemma: The recipes from CSI's website for Westvleteren 12, St Bernardus 12, etc. call for 6-8+ weeks of conditioning at 45F after two yeast dumps . . .
This method would tie up my fermentation chamber for about 18-21 days instead of 56-70, and the beer would still age for 6-12 months before I began opening them with any regularity (of course I'll crack one each month or two . . .
If you did a spit batch, one half conditioned exactly as the CSI recipe recommends and the other half your method, I'd be surprised if anyone could note a difference in a side by side taste test. Full disclosure, I take bigger short cuts. Maybe following the full schedule would lead to marginally better results, but I'm doubtful the difference would be significant.