Substitute for carapils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can simply sub some base malt and up your mash temperature to get the mouthfeel or sub some 10L caramel malt to get some sweetness or even some flaked wheat for head retention and body. It depends on what you want to use it for.

I just see it in small amounts in some recipes, none I’ve brewed yet. usually do small brews, 1-1.5 gallons.

It’s generally used in small amounts for head retention with little to no effect on color or taste. A low lovibond crystal malt will provide the same, but have some effect on the flavor and color. Personally, I prefer carahell.

That’s always an option, too.

My personal experience is that it’s more noticeable in an extract with steep method than it does in all grain mashing.

I use all grain. just wondered since I want to do A few clone brews of some beers I’ve had and didn’t want to screw up badly. Either way it will be beer

I use all grain. just wondered since I want to do A few clone brews of some beers I’ve had and didn’t want to screw up badly. Either way it will be beer
Yes, carapils is not a deal breaker; it won't make that much of a difference. And many brewers consider it useless.

Some possible substitutes are Carahell (a smaller mount), wheat, or pilsner malt. The Carahell and wheat might give you better head formation and retention, but that can depend on your setup and process as well.

I detest Carapils. Some other options (like Weyermann Carafoam) are only marginally better.

I'd look somewhere else. There's Chit Malt that instead of dextrins is basically super low modified high protein malt. Supposed to help with foam. In my experience its meh on foam and you can definitely taste it in all but the smallest of quantities.

I'm big on flaked grains. I use either flaked wheat or flaked barley in most beers I brew. Beta glucans aplenty. But they can make for poor runoff.

If the choice is carapils or base malt, go with base malt.

I should've pointed out that Briess Carapils and Weyermann Carafoam/Carapils are different malts. Briess snapped up the trademark for Carapils in the US, so Weyermann's product is called Carafoam in the US, but Carapils elsewhere. When you see Carapils in a recipe, make sure you know which malt the recipe refers to.

As I understand it, Weyermann's Carapils can be used in much higher quantities.

I should've pointed out that Briess Carapils and Weyermann Carafoam/Carapils are different malts. Briess snapped up the trademark for Carapils in the US, so Weyermann's product is called Carafoam in the US, but Carapils elsewhere. When you see Carapils in a recipe, make sure you know which malt the recipe refers to.

As I understand it, Weyermann's Carapils can be used in much higher quantities.

I'm not big on either, but yes, my detestation is Briess Carapils.

I detest Carapils. Some other options (like Weyermann Carafoam) are only marginally better.

I'd look somewhere else. There's Chit Malt that instead of dextrins is basically super low modified high protein malt. Supposed to help with foam. In my experience its meh on foam and you can definitely taste it in all but the smallest of quantities.

I'm big on flaked grains. I use either flaked wheat or flaked barley in most beers I brew. Beta glucans aplenty. But they can make for poor runoff.

If the choice is carapils or base malt, go with base malt.
Does carapils impart that much flavor? Admittedly, I’ve only purposely used it a few times and in low quantities , but I’d be hard pressed to notice it contribute anything, flavor wise. It always seemed pointless to me since smash beers with 2 row were nice and foamy, and redundant when other ales had crystal malts in them anyway.

That's precisely it. I haven't noticed Briess Carapils do ANYTHING beyond be a pain to mill and cost more than base malt. Carafoam (or I guess Weyermann Carapils if outside the US) at least adds a hint of sweetness and isn't as bad to mill.

There was a Charlie Bamforth paper/presentation suggesting Carapils was even foam negative, though IIRC that may have been an inference from crystal malts in general where Carapils is processed differently. I haven't noticed that particular issue. But I also don't use it so...

do I sub or just buy some?
thanks

Well, since Carapils is confirmed of extremely questionable "benefit" by multiple trials, just use more base malt. Or add RYE, which is superior in every way for adding body and foam, compared to these other products that don't live up to the hype.

http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/
http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/28/de...ous-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/
And similar Carafoam:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/18/de...ous-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/

If the recipe has, let's say, a lb or more of caramel malt of any Lovibond, I start considering leaving out the carapils/carafoam. I used carapils for years when called for, but switched to carafoam about a year ago due to availability at my LHBS and I believe it has improved head and retention. But I've always mashed it, apparently it does not do as well steeped. By the way, maltodextrin is considered a substitute for these malts, but not used as much as it used to be.

Back