Difference between different wheat malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 6oz of wheat malt. I have, on hand, white wheat malt and torrified wheat malt. Are either of those comparible? I have 8oz of white wheat malt that I might sub out if that will work. Any input is greatly appreciated

"So when do you need a cereal mash step? When brewing with whole rice, corn, raw oats, unmalted barley, unmalted wheat, rye or other unmalted grains, such as those often used for gluten free brewing.

It is important to note that virtually all of these grains are also available in either a malted, flaked or torrified state often preferred by homebrewers. The malted, flaked or torrified versions have already been gelatinized (see below) so they don’t require a cereal mash step. Examples include all malted grains, malted barley, malted wheat, flaked barley, flaked wheat, torrified wheat, quick (Quaker) oats, flaked maize, flaked or puffed rice, flaked rye, etc. If you are using any of these malted, flaked or torrified grains you can skip the cereal mash entirely and just go to a single step infusion mash."

https://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

As far as flavor difference between malted wheat and torrified wheat...

"In malted wheat, the flavour compounds are developed during the kilning process where the grain is delicately slow cured through passing streams of warm air. The result is a deliciously creamy, refreshingly light and doughy tasting wheat malt.

In comparison, the torrefied wheat experiences quite the opposite. It is heated quickly with intensity and so there is little development when it comes to taste. What we get is a rather grainy and clean flavour."

https://crispmalt.com/en-us/news/torrefied-wheat-vs-wheat-malt/

Thanks all. I am trying to use stuff I have on hand to "get rid of it". LOL. I have honey malt and carapils that I need to use and have found a couple of recipes I can use them. Not to mention the huge supply of Cascade hops I have. LOL

Back