Stuck, need solution!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCB

Reaction score
I've got the same story as everyone else- stuck at 1.020 would like to be around 1.015. I pitched a 2L starter, fresh yeast and everything. I have read many possible solutions but most people suggesting them say that they dont work or the person trying them never reports back saying if they had results or not. yeast was WLP005 fermented at 68 and OG was 1.061. Mashed at 151. Anyone have any suggestions???? please!!

Is the recipe one that should ferment below 1.02? What's the recipe??

You can try warming the fermenter a few degrees, giving it a shake, etc. but if 1.02 is as far as you're supposed to get, then you're just done. Pushing the temp up to dry it out a little might get you off flavors as the temperature goes up.

You could pitch champagne yeast, because they can chew through some stuff sacc. won't. However, it could very easily dry out well below 1.015.

thanks for the response!
8lbs Maris Otter
1lb British Crystal 55L
0.5lbs Torrified Wheat
1lbs Biscuit malt
0.5lbs Chocolate malt
0.5lbs Flaked Oats
and ive tried warming with no luck.

Yeah brewsmith shows OG should be 1.064 with FG at 1.018. Since you were a little higher on the OG it's not surprising to be a little over on FG. You might be able to get a little more out of champagne yeast but with the wheat and oats you added a lot of unfermentables that add body to the beer, hence your higher FG.

thanks for the response!
8lbs Maris Otter
1lb British Crystal 55L
0.5lbs Torrified Wheat
1lbs Biscuit malt
0.5lbs Chocolate malt
0.5lbs Flaked Oats
and ive tried warming with no luck.

I don't think I've ever brewed a 5 gallon batch with a pound and a
half of unfermentables. If anything, 1.021 seems a bit low
especially since the yeast you are using isn't that attenuative
(as low as 67% according to the website).

I hope you let us know how it tastes.

Ray

wouldn't it just be a pound (oats and wheat) ? i dont know too much about them, the recipe was given by a friend.
its actually a base for a blueberry brown ale. blueberries arent exactly cheap so Im scared of adding them if the beers not going to be any good. thoughts?

wouldn't it just be a pound (oats and wheat) ? i dont know too much about them, the recipe was given by a friend.
its actually a base for a blueberry brown ale. blueberries arent exactly cheap so Im scared of adding them if the beers not going to be any good. thoughts?

The unfermentables would be the Crystal and the Chocolate.

Not to mention that I don't think you'll get as low with Marris Otter as you would with 2-row. What was your mash temp? Did you get complete coversion?

It's done, don't turn this into an experiment. Accept your beer for what it is and try to brew it differently next time.

I just had a 1.079 dubbel finish at 1.023. Am I disappointed - maybe a little. Am I going to start frantically worrying? Nope, I'm gonna drink that sucker like it is and try harder next time.

It's done, don't turn this into an experiment. Accept your beer for what it is and try to brew it differently next time.

I just had a 1.079 dubbel finish at 1.023. Am I disappointed - maybe a little. Am I going to start frantically worrying? Nope, I'm gonna drink that sucker like it is and try harder next time.

Thanks for the advice, I think it's time to enjoy!

Back