Strata hops: Where did the dank go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says. Some time ago I brewed a SMaSH with Muntons Planet and Strata.

2.75 gallon batch:
4.5 lbs. Muntons planet
11 g Strata @ 20 min.
11 g Strata @ 0 min.
US-05

It was really good, much more interesting than your usual SMaSH. The Strata came through like you were drinking beer and smoking cannabis at the same time, fruity but dank. I sometimes have trouble telling the difference between different fruity hops, and this was something unique, and I was excited.

Lately I made another 2.75 gallon batch, an APA/WCIPA with a little more going on (and I'd be happy to get feedback on how this recipe works overall):

4 lbs. pale malt
0.5 lb. white wheat
0.125 lb. light crystal

10 g Magnum @ 60 min.
14 g Strata @ 15 min.
14 g Chinook @ 15 min.
14 g Strata hop stand @ 160 F for 20 min.
14 g Chinook hop stand @ 160 F for 20 min.
28 g Strata dry hop @ 12 days (and keg @ 14)

It's very nice, but it's just got a nondescript fruity taste to it. Not really cannabis, resin, or pine, which I'd been hoping for; I might as well have used Citra or something.

I did order the Strata from a different vendor (first batch was Northern Brewer, second was BSG). Is that to blame? Or some synergy with Chinook? Or the effect of the dry hop? I'd be happy for any insights. Thanks!

FWIW, I find I get totally different hop character with almost every brew. Different years, different vendors, even the same bag used at different times. Hops are fickle creatures.

I’d agree that Strata now isn’t as dank/pungent as it was a few years ago. It’s acreage has grown considerably in recent years. This seems to happen every time a hop gets more popular and is grown by more farms in more places. Might take a few years to get back to what it once was or it might change altogether. The first year or two when it was X331 and was only grown on one farm (or maybe two) I thought it was gonna be the next best thing. Since then I’m not sure I’d agree.

Back