British Golden Ale with Ingredients on Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some time, my fermentation chamber has some space for 70 F beers. Any feedback on the following would be much appreciated:

~1-gallon batch
1.8 lbs. English pale (e.g. Maris Otter)
0.5 lbs. Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
0.5 lbs. dextrose

1 g Magnum (15.1%) @ 60
5 g Fuggle (4.0%) @ 10
10 g Fuggle (4.0%) 10 minutes stand @ 160 F

Lalbrew London
Ferment @ 70 F

I've got noble hops and piney hops and dank hops and citrus hops and fruity hops, but the only real British hops I have at the moment are Fuggle. (I've got Harlequin, but I don't think that counts.)

I might be off base but 0.5lbs of dextrose in a 1 gallon batch sounds like a lot. I would either get rid of it completely or use a couple ounces. A lot of British golden ales use citrusy new world hops so you could go that route and be on track.

Ok! And I’m seeing now that Simpsons recommends 10% and under for GNO. So, grist:

2.25 lbs. English pale
0.25 lbs. GNO
0.25 lbs. dextrose

I have Cascade and Centennial … which, and instead of or in addition to the Fuggle?

Thanks!

I just made a golden ale with magnum for bittering and fuggle/cascade for flavor (I think I saw another thread where Yooper used that combo). It came out really nice.
20220918_184251.jpg

So
2.25 lbs English pale
0.25 lbs GNO
0.25 lbs dextrose

30 minute boil (60 minutes gives me a noticeable darkening on my rig, and DMS precursor shouldn’t be too high with this grist, and maybe a little DMS wouldn’t be too bad, anyway?)
1 g Magnum (15.1%) @ 30
5 g Fuggle (4.0%) @ 5
5 g Cascade LUPOMAX (12.5%) hop stand 10 minutes @ 160 F

Nothing funny with the water, 50-100 ppm of calcium, chloride, and sulfate.

Lallemand London (though I have Verdant, too) @ 70 F

I see you mentioned harlequin, I used that in golden ale and it was great. Can recommend it, especially if you like to keep it all british 🙂

If you go the citrus hops route, verdant would match it with it's fruityness. Otherwise, London would work to. I never used the gno, so I cannot comment on that. 10% dextrose is fine though, more could be too much. London really needs the dextrose to help with the attenuation, better also mash long and low with that yeast. Verdant doesn't need the help. It has decent attenuation on its own.

You might want to make yourself some quick and dirty invert sugar instead of the dextrose to get some flavour benefits.

Use Demerara sugar, a dash of Lemon juice, some water, boil for twenty to sixty minutes, add a little bit of baking soda at the end when still hot (careful, foaming!!!) To neutralise the acid. Don't use too much baking soda, if you can taste it, it was too much and needs a bit more acid then.

You might want to make yourself some quick and dirty invert sugar instead of the dextrose to get some flavour benefits.

Use Demerara sugar, a dash of Lemon juice, some water, boil for twenty to sixty minutes, add a little bit of baking soda at the end when still hot (careful, foaming!!!) To neutralise the acid. Don't use too much baking soda, if you can taste it, it was too much and needs a bit more acid then.
No demerara on hand, unfortunately. I have a container of D45 candi syrup ... should I mess with that?

I've got noble hops and piney hops and dank hops and citrus hops and fruity hops, but the only real British hops I have at the moment are Fuggle. (I've got Harlequin, but I don't think that counts.)
The one hop that golden ales don't generally use is Fuggle - the "classic" golden ales like Summer Lightning tend to be based around Goldings (with perhaps a bit of help from Challenger etc), and as has been mentioned above, these days they mostly have New World hops. But it's a perfect showcase for something like Harlequin, British cuisine in general is about showing off good ingredients without too much complication. Just Otter, some bittering, Harlequin in a near -SMaSH will do the job. Maybe 5% wheat to help the head. Historically they didn't use oats but some of the modern ones do - but I'm quite sensitive to oats and they can be very porridgey to my taste although it does condition out to some extent.

Back