Strange Yeast/Sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyfool

Reaction score
So this is my 5th All-Grain Batch - an Amarillo IPA and my first one with Irish Moss. I added about a half-teaspoon (doing 1 gallon batches for now) 15 minutes left in the boil and used S-04 yeast.

Now about 6 hours after I put it into the carboy theres some strange strange sort of bloom floating around that I honestly haven't seen before in my previous 4 batches.

Is this some reaction from the Irish Moss? Bad Yeast? Or am I freaking out and need to RDWHAHB?

Attached image of strange floaties...

photo.jpg

First, there's no way anything that large grew in the carboy within 6 hours. Just looks like coagulated junk. Second, I would be more worried about the alternate gravity that allows your leg to sit sideways without spilling. ;)

I've seen something similar from S-04 and other "British yeasts, although not on that scale. It's more likely to be flocc'd yeast & trub than a side effect of Irish moss, IMO. I'd say RDWHAHB, you're good to go!

I just did a 1 gallon batch using S-04 and have the same exact monster in my jug. This is my second time using s-04 and had the same thing happen on the first batch as well. It will eventually all just fall and flatten out on the bottom like you would expect.

Do you dump the entire contents of the kettle into the 1 gallon jug? Looks like break material.

Looks like break material. Also, I usually use 1 teaspoon of irish moss for five gallons, 0.5 teaspoon for one gallon was probably overkill and will result in really pillowy break and yeast sediment. It should settle out for you eventually but it doesn't ever compact as nicely. Next time cut down on the amount of irish moss also try to chill quicker and keep more of the cold break out of the fermenter. Your beer is going to be fine.

Well this helps me feel better. Im still kind of figuring out the different breaks (hot/cold).

I poured all from my kettle through funnel/strainer combo into the carboy. Unfortunately the strainer gets plugged so quickly I have to lift it out and some sediment gets through to the carboy.

I'll use less Irish moss next time - is there a way to remove the cold break or distinguish it from hop sediment when chilling?

Well this helps me feel better. Im still kind of figuring out the different breaks (hot/cold).

I poured all from my kettle through funnel/strainer combo into the carboy. Unfortunately the strainer gets plugged so quickly I have to lift it out and some sediment gets through to the carboy.

I'll use less Irish moss next time - is there a way to remove the cold break or distinguish it from hop sediment when chilling?

Actually, it sounds crazy but it's fine! The more cold break you have, the clearer your beer will be in the end. That break material will all fall down into the trub and compact, especially since you used so4 which forms a tightly compacted trub layer, and you'll have super clear beer in the end.

In other words, you did good!

Update on Tuesday 2/14 after brewing on Friday 2/10.

Strangest Krausen I've ever seen - a lot got into the blowoff tube which is new for me so it must've been really vigorous. The trub starting to form at the bottom looks like little cheese curds - strange stuff.

Must say the beer is really freaking clear for this early in fermentation - don't know whether to attribute that to the Irish Moss/yeast/cold break proteins.

Still look normal to everyone?

photo.jpg

Looks nasty, but it is still normal.
A lot of British strains flocculates like this.

I thought that might be the case - really interesting. Anyone know why British yeast strains are so funky looking?

Back