"Stout" without the roasted and flaked barley.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlimanButterbur

Reaction score
I'm running out of stout. The last one I made was just your standard pale ale malt, 10% roasted barley, 10% flaked barley, Irish Ale Yeast. Can't go wrong. I'd recommend it to anyone.

So I don't want to change my stout recipe, but I think I might want another stout recipe, and I think I want to use some chocolate malt. I also have a lot of wheat malt kicking around that's not getting turned into wheat beer any time soon (although I really should brew a dunkel), and I don't have much flaked barley.

Anyways, this train of thought took me in a new direction, and searches haven't turned anything up.

What I'm thinking is that I'll make a pseudo-stout, in which I'll substitute chocolate malt in a slightly greater quantity, and I'll up the body and creaminess with the addition of 10% or a bit more wheat malt. Now, I know that this wouldn't be stout. I know it wouldn't quite have that roast character. So don't jump on me, because I know.

I'm presently undecided as to whether to use pale ale or regular two-row. I'll probably use American Ale II, since I have some harvested, but I could also try it with Irish. Thoughts?

What will this beer be like? Maybe a really dark dunkel? Will it be good? Should I do 3-5% roast barley so I can call it a stout, but top it up with a bunch of chocolate so it's really dark, and keep the wheat? Stout with wheat instead of flaked barley seems intriguing. Surely someone has tried that and can tell me what they think?

If you use enough chocolate malt to make it black, you can always just call it a porter.

chocolate and black patent are roasted malts too. many stouts particularly the sweet, oatmeal, and chocolate variety use a combination of those. You can also get flaked oats and flaked barley at most large bulk, grocery, and natural food stores if you need a non online source of those.

Let us know how this turns out. I love the dark beers but dont like the bitter/astringency of some dark malts

It sounds kind of like a weizenboc to me, and that sounds delicious. I'm thinking of brewing something very similar, so I'm interested to hear how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back