Stout Bitterness: Hops v. Roasted Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sampling my new imperial stout, and I really like it, but I could see increasing the bitterness a little.

What's the best way to increase a stout's bitterness? More hops or more roasted malt? I'm leaning toward malt, but this beer would look like India ink.

Use hops, as getting bitterness from malt tends to be acrid or astringent. Try using magnum for your bittering hops as it's a clean smooth bitterness, especially if you add it as a first wort addition (add while running off to the kettle instead of when you come to a boil.) Then use whatever hop you need for flavor and aroma later on.

I loves me some of that India Ink 😁
What are your OG/FG, IBUs, and what percentage of the grains are roasted/black?
I definitely agree roast/black malts add to the needed balancing along with the IBUs.

My stout comes in at SRM 56/EBC 110 but by any number it's undeniably black. It also packs 83 IBUs with its 1.107 OG/~1.025 FG and the black malts comprise just under 9% of the grist...

Cheers!

Use hops, as getting bitterness from malt tends to be acrid or astringent. Try using magnum for your bittering hops as it's a clean smooth bitterness ...
🤔 Humm ... don't know. There's an ongoing discussion on this forum's "sister" site (Inside the Factory - Guinness) noting how Guinness (argg!... choke, choke, spit) separately hot steep their roast barley (vast amounts of it too) and avoid acrid or astringent qualities that way?

If they can attempt to take over the beery world with such a trick with roast barley, perhaps using loads of roast malt in this way can be (and is?) workable.

I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I know stouts rely partly on dark grain for bitterness, and it's not a flaw.

The ribs will be out of the smoker in about 4 hours.
Perfect. That should suffice.

Incidentally, good wienerschnitzel is impossible to find over here.
I'd prefer the ribs anyway.

The darker malts are being introduced into an environment (mash or steeping water) which is manipulated in a way that as little astringency as possible makes it into the beer. If some astringency makes it into the beer, it can be aged out but that takes time. I've had a brown malt induced astringency that was rendering the beer undrinkable (the malt "bitterness" is different than hops bitterness). After half a year in the bottle the beer became quite enjoyable. What you get from malt is astringent and acrid and somewhere in-between a bit bitter. It's really not desirable in any given context.

I am a simple person. When maltsters call the flavor of roasted barley "bitter," I go along with it, even if they're somehow wrong. A non-acidic flavor that balances sweetness.

I cannot understand why there is no Wiener schnitzel over here. I haven't seen it since 1977. I haven't seen veal in a store since maybe 2015.

And it looks like I was spelling "Wiener schnitzel" wrong.

I cannot understand why there is no Wiener schnitzel over here. I haven't seen it since 1977. I haven't seen veal in a store since maybe 2015.

To be nitpicky: Wiener Schnitzel.

It's nice to have but I'd prefer almost everything that comes out of a smoker.

You can cold steep dark malts to get more colour and way less astringency from it. Also midnight wheat is an option which is not even half as acrid as black malt but almost as dark.

Over here, words lose their capital letters after a while. It's just too much work, hitting the Shift key. We even write "french fries," although that may have more to do with our feelings about the French.

From time to time I need veal bones to make veal stock. Our local store meat department, not even a dedicated butcher shop, can get them in with the regular weekly order. Every now and then they will have veal cutlets out on the shelves, obviously I use these for Wiener Schnitzel. Have you talked to the meat department at your local store?

I will say - don't know if it matters to you - but the life of an agribusiness/industrial calf intended for veal, like everything else in industrial meat, sucks and is needlessly cruel. There are better ways to raise them - no transporting them in meatwagon hells across states (or as in Europe, countries), they aren't starved of iron just for the ^&^%%$# white quality to the meat (let's stop eating iron, and see what happens to our muscle), they have adequate space to live, with other calves. They eat a balanced diet. Bottom line, they are respected as animals.

I'm not exactly PETA. I've been a devoted hunter since I was about 8, when I got my first Ruger single-six and and old single-shot .22. I go out yearly with my son to stalk and track deer in our Northwoods, and eat plenty of meat. But I don't believe in putting animals through hell, often stewing in their own crap and disease, so I can eat.

🤔 Humm ... don't know. There's an ongoing discussion on this forum's "sister" site (Inside the Factory - Guinness) noting how Guinness (argg!... choke, choke, spit) separately hot steep their roast barley (vast amounts of it too) and avoid acrid or astringent qualities that way?

If they can attempt to take over the beery world with such a trick with roast barley, perhaps using loads of roast malt in this way can be (and is?) workable.
Can this be watched in the US?

It would make sense if they controlled the temp and pH on the roasted malts (which im sure they do), but I'm not sure how much bitterness would be imparted if the pH didn't go over 5.8 and/or the temp didn't go over 180/185. If so, it must be awfully smooth.

Y'all are talking bitterness for an American Imperial Stout. Why seek guidance from a notoriously smooth and not bitter Irish dry stout? The style at question is specifically known for bracingly bitter hop presence. You've got to balance the FG. Yes holy roasty, but also hella hoppy.

Y'all are talking bitterness for an American Imperial Stout. Why seek guidance from a notoriously smooth and not bitter Irish dry stout? The style at question is specifically known for bracingly bitter hop presence. You've got to balance the FG. Yes holy roasty, but also hella hoppy.
Still deciding on whether I'm going to go with Ron Pattinson's stated IBU's - 200 on OG 1.104, on the assumption that 3-4 years of laying down will significantly lower the perceived IBU's; or going closer to 135, which is what I've tweaked now. That, and whether it's nonsensical to use so much EKG for bittering at 90, 60 and 30 minutes (100% EKG) or going with a cleaner, higher-alpha hop early on.....authentically "vintage" or not.

Truthfully I have a hard time messing with tradition, but then, even Ron is doing his best to parse out just what that was, with many times sketched-out notes only; and of course we can't know what actual IBUs any of the 19th-century brewers were actually working with.

Still deciding on whether I'm going to go with Ron Pattinson's stated IBU's - 200 on OG 1.104, on the assumption that 3-4 years of laying down will significantly lower the perceived IBU's; or going closer to 135, which is what I've tweaked now. That, and whether it's nonsensical to use so much EKG for bittering at 90, 60 and 30 minutes (100% EKG) or going with a cleaner, higher-alpha hop early on.....authentically "vintage" or not.

Truthfully I have a hard time messing with tradition, but then, even Ron is doing his best to parse out just what that was, with many times sketched-out notes only; and of course we can't know what actual IBUs any of the 19th-century brewers were actually working with.
Won't make much of a difference. The more proteins in solution, the harder it is to get the alpha acid to isomerise. You will end up at around or slightly below 100 ibus both ways. In wort you cannot get higher than that. In high gravity wort the number is even lower.

Can this be watched in the US?
Ah ... apologies, the video bit was on iPlayer (BBC) so there's hoops to jump through to get it in US.

But it showed what Guinness do: The roast barley is "mashed" (steeped, at about 80-90°C?) separately from the pale malt and the two extracts blended in the boiler. With the hop extract. Hence my "painting-by-numbers" comment in that thread.

Apparently: There are YouTube videos with the process explained.

(It should be obvious from my posts in that thread from the "other" brewing forum: I don't care for their antics at Guinness. Or what they've done to a once classic brew. But I thought this roast barley antic might be relevant for this thread. Whatever else I think, I wouldn't describe Guinness stout as "acrid or astringent").

Won't make much of a difference. The more proteins in solution, the harder it is to get the alpha acid to isomerise. You will end up at around or slightly below 100 ibus both ways. In wort you cannot get higher than that. In high gravity wort the number is even lower.
Right, thanks. So dumb question, but is there any reason beyond keeping to a literal transcription of these recipes, they're written with e.g., 200 IBUs? A British brewer a couple nights ago simply recommended about 100 ibus, and something like Magnum for bittering. Sounds the way to go. Waste of good EKG.

Maybe it is acidic, now that I think about it.
It is indeed acidic. That's why stouts need a brewing water with higher alkalinity to keep the mash ph in check.
Another result of steeping the roast barley for Guinness (perhaps the best-known stout in the world?): They brew it with low alkalinity (moorland) water.

Right, thanks. So dumb question, but is there any reason beyond keeping to a literal transcription of these recipes, they're written with e.g., 200 IBUs? A British brewer a couple nights ago simply recommended about 100 ibus, and something like Magnum for bittering. Sounds the way to go. Waste of good EKG.

Yes. A large amount of low AA hops will provide something different than the same HBU of a neutral high AA hop. If I wanted to reduce the mass of the bittering charge, I'd stick to 100IBUs and use Cluster for historical precedent. Challenger for a nice UK substitute. Northern Brewer can come through as minty, very nice in a stout.

Yes. A large amount of low AA hops will provide something different than the same HBU of a neutral high AA hop. If I wanted to reduce the mass of the bittering charge, I'd stick to 100IBUs and use Cluster for historical precedent. Challenger for a nice UK substitute. Northern Brewer can come through as minty, very nice in a stout.
That was new to me, the idea they used Cluster, until reading Pattinson's book. That and the use of continental hops (e.g., the 1918 Courage Double Stout's Strisselspalt. I too have found that not all bittering is the same - hadn't thought so much of the relationship of a lot of low-aa v. a little of high-aa, just that different hops lend a different quality of the bittering and it's not merely plugging in IBUs from anything and "it's all the same." Just didn't know if at this IBU level, those differences efface away to basically nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may just stick with the EKG (mine are currently 5.6%), though I do have a pound of Challenger at 7% and love the hop in just about every way (including a SMaSH bitter). I don't know that I've ever used Cluster. Is there some rep of this very thing we're talking about, that some find Cluster a bit "harsh" or "unclean" in bitterness quality? (Edit: May be totally misremembering. I think I recall a member talking about this quality and Target, but don't recall who, or where I saw it).

Never could really get on board with Northern Brewer too much. Might be that very quality you mention, minty, as I and mint are generally not friends.

Latest posts

Back