stockpot Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taleman

Reaction score
I've seen some threads about pasteurizing in bottles. Is there any reason you couldn't pasteurizing in a pot then (after its cooled) racking into sanitized bottles?

Yes because you will introduce new bugs that fly around in the air. A bottle is hermetically sealed.

You also wouldn't have any carbonation left

Probably should mention this is for still wine.

Yes because you will introduce new bugs that fly around in the air. A bottle is hermetically sealed.

I'm doing this for wine. My understanding is that the bottles can't be corked when pasturizing in bottle. So wouldn't you risk introducing new bugs anyway if the bottles are open?

??
If you don't care drinking flat beer...
If you sanitize prior to conditioning... how would you carb??

??
If you don't care drinking flat beer...
If you sanitize prior to conditioning... how would you carb??

Not sure I understand. I'm making wine. This is the wine making forum, right?

I've seen some threads about pasteurizing in bottles. Is there any reason you couldn't pasteurizing in a pot then (after its cooled) racking into sanitized bottles?

Original thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7984094#post7984094

I'm not sure why you are wanting to pasteurize your wine in the first place. Heating your wine in a pot will drive off the very aromatics that you want to keep in there while oxidizing it. Heating it in a bottle will also degrade the wine. Consider that no one ever WANTS to intentionally leave their wine in a car during the summer in Arizona.

If you are trying to achieve a santized inhospitable environment for bugs, you need look no further than using the correct amount of sulfite additions to the wine during the process and at bottling. Since this is not beer, you have higher alcohol and lower pH on your side. This is why sulfites are effective in wine but not beer.

There is a calculator here that is helpful, even if most of the input factors are ignored:
https://winemakermag.com/1301-sulfite-calculator

Also, keep in mind that ethanol boils off at a lower temperature than water, so by heating the wine you can actually remove some of the alcohol.

Heating wine can destroy the flavor, oxidize it, remove ethanol, and condense it. It'd be fine for cooking probably, but a "cooked wine" flavor would be objectionable for drinking.

I'm not sure why you are wanting to pasteurize your wine in the first place. Heating your wine in a pot will drive off the very aromatics that you want to keep in there while oxidizing it. Heating it in a bottle will also degrade the wine. Consider that no one ever WANTS to intentionally leave their wine in a car during the summer in Arizona.

If you are trying to achieve a santized inhospitable environment for bugs, you need look no further than using the correct amount of sulfite additions to the wine during the process and at bottling. Since this is not beer, you have higher alcohol and lower pH on your side. This is why sulfites are effective in wine but not beer.

There is a calculator here that is helpful, even if most of the input factors are ignored:
https://winemakermag.com/1301-sulfite-calculator

Ok cool. So If I plan to add spices/fruit. Do I added sulfites right after fermentation and just before adding the fruit? Or do I add it just before bottling. Or do I add it along with the fruit? Or something else?

+1 to what Yooper said. I've open-pot pasteurized rice wine before. It ruined it in my opinion. A huge amount of ethanol evaporated off it as evidenced by the large plume of harshly alcoholic steam. (This could actually be potentially dangerous with open flames.) Don't think that just because the boiling point of ethanol is 173.1 F that it won't evaporate at lower temperatures. (Water evaporates at room temperature, just more slowly.) Prior to pasteurization, the rice wine smelled like sake. Afterwards, it smelled pretty much like nothing. Drinking some a time later after bottling, I couldn't detect even a hint of alcohol buzz.

Ok cool. So If I plan to add spices/fruit. Do I added sulfites right after fermentation and just before adding the fruit? Or do I add it just before bottling. Or do I add it along with the fruit? Or something else?

If you want to add spices and fruit, you'd do that as part of fermentation. Sulfites are commonly added by winemakers as an antioxidant at intervals.

I'm not sure what you're actually after, so I'd suggest reading some winemaking "how to" websites, like this one: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp If you have any questions about the procedure, we'd be glad to help you out.

Back