Bottle Carbo experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zosimus

Reaction score
I've been around many forums and found that it is generally not good practice to try and carbonate cider (or mead) in bottles sweet because of the bottle bombs that result.

That being said, I recently came across a method that sparked my interest so I started to brain storm a bit. I also note that I will eventually force carbonate but until then, (in leu of saving money) I am trying to find alternatives.

Essentially the idea is to bottle pasteurize after I've reached my desired level of carbonation.
Basically once fermentation is done, the idea is to backsweeten to desired level of sweetness, then maybe a tinsy bit more (for carbonation). Then bottle. Then wait like 2-3 days. Then bottle pasteurize to half fermentation.

Does anyone know if this is viable? I've seen people do similar things like this with success.

Last sweet carbonated cider I made used enough table sugar to prime and additional Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener to sweeten. For those that live near a Winco grocery store, they sell this sweetener in the bulk food section. It is non-fermentable and for me has no off putting after taste. It’s a blend of monkfruit and erythritol.

Currently fermenting a gallon of cider for my sister in law who gets migraines from basically all artificial sweeteners so I will be back sweetening and bottle carbonating then pasteurizing in some situations it's the only option you have for better heat control you could use a sous vide cooker in your pasteurizing vessel

Currently fermenting a gallon of cider for my sister in law who gets migraines from basically all artificial sweeteners so I will be back sweetening and bottle carbonating then pasteurizing in some situations it's the only option you have for better heat control you could use a sous vide cooker in your pasteurizing vessel
Neither monk fruit nor erythritol are artificial. They are both derived from plant sources. I don't know if either of these would work for your sister, but they both are much healthier than the old artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) or Saccharin (Sweet'N Low).

Neither monk fruit nor erythritol are artificial. They are both derived from plant sources. I don't know if either of these would work for your sister, but they both are much healthier than the old artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) or Saccharin (Sweet'N Low).
Right the original plan was to use sugar alcohol like xylitol but my brother said that was one of the things he thought gave her migraines so I'd rather not risk it

Back